Ice boots

russian_charm

Visit site
Hi,
I'm starting to get more seriously eventing and I'm beginning to do a bit of research on ice boots, to ice the horse's legs after cross country. I was wondering what opinions people had on certain brands and styles, and what they would recommend, pros and cons, that kind of stuff.

From my basic research I've come across three basic types;
ones where you buy a bag of ice and put that in the boots,
ones with ice packs
and ones with cold packs that you put in water to make pack cold.

Which styles have you guys found the best?

I'd preferably like ones that can ice above the knee, rather than some I've seen that cover about as much leg as a splint boot, so I really like the Pro Choice ones http://store.profchoice.com/product-p/wc204-bla.htm but then theres an issue of always having to buy ice which would begin to add up... (plus $200 worth of boot for 4 comes to an awful lot of hours babysitting to pay for them...)

I would rather something that is quality but a bit more pricy rather than something that's cheap but will be useless by the end of the season

So I'd love some advice from other eventing crazy people and of course anyone else who has some info for me!
Thankyou in advance =D

almostthere

Visit site
I bought the prem equine ice boots this year for a horse i part own that events up to 2*. Yes we have had to buy ice every time but it's usually less than £1 a bag or you could make your own at home with ice bags? We only use the ice boots on the front and just use cold boots on the back. The prem equine ones come above the knee and we have been really impressed by how cold the tendons are after 20mins. Really worth it.
On the lower level horses we tend to just use cold boots but freeze them the night before so they defrost on the way, we leave them in water at the event and then they are icy cold when we put them on. Hope that helps.