Ice Boots

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm off work and bored and came across some information on cold boots, the ones you soak in water, the upshot being they arent great. Are ice boots any better? What do people use them for? Mine has no tendon issues etc at present but I am a bit obsessed with cooling her off with cold water rinses when shes worked hard and its just dawned on me that I dont do that for her legs. And thats when I went down the google rabbit hole!

Anyway, anyone use them? If so what for? Any particular brands that are better than the others?

Fanatical

Visit site
I use premier equine cold water boots (soaked in ice cold water prior to use) after XC at an event. They can be useful at other times too - maybe after a schooling session on hard ground or fast work.
I also have a pair of ice vibe boots.

eggs

Visit site
I have used them for horses with tendon injuries. The main problem is that they get warm very quickly as they absorb the heat from the horse. I used to soak them in iced water and change them every 15 minutes so it was a bit of a faff.

Hallo2012

Visit site
in use wine coolers, cut in half, bandaged on over thin tea towels-dont stay quite as cold for quite as long as the ice vibe boot inserts but a heck of a lot cheaper!

they stay colder longer than the soak in water sorts IME

Visit site
We use these at work:

https://www.premierequine.co.uk/Mobile/9-pocket-horse-ice-boots-c2x21441565

Probably far too big for your pony length wise. They take a lot of ice and are quick to velcro on and off. You do need to fiddle with them as the ice melts though as they become looser. I actually personally don't like them. We have ice vibe boots too but the ice packs don't stay cold for very long.

Best option is also the cheapest - the wee ice cube bags you fill with water and put in the freezer. They fold round the leg nicely, arent too bulky and a simple tea towel and stable/exercise bandage will hold them in place perfectly. If you are away competing or dont have anywhere at the yard to store ice get a cool box and some of the solid plastic ice blocks to keep your ponies ones cold for the day.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
in use wine coolers, cut in half, bandaged on over thin tea towels-dont stay quite as cold for quite as long as the ice vibe boot inserts but a heck of a lot cheaper!

they stay colder longer than the soak in water sorts IME

What a great idea!

Steerpike

Visit site
I have two pairs of equine fitness stay cold boots, so I can swap them after 10 mins, I use them in vet gates and at the end of endurance rides and at home if my horse has done hard work or if it's hard ground.

ponyparty

Visit site
Resurrecting this thread....
Any recommendations for budget ice boots? Can't be doing with bandaging bits and bobs on, too much of a faff, I'm on such a strict time limit at the moment juggling horse/dogs/baby/housework/coursework/housemove! I want to quickly velcro on and go get on with my other jobs while his legs cool.
Or anyone wanting to sell theirs? Will post in my area board too.

Visit site
Resurrecting this thread....
Any recommendations for budget ice boots? Can't be doing with bandaging bits and bobs on, too much of a faff, I'm on such a strict time limit at the moment juggling horse/dogs/baby/housework/coursework/housemove! I want to quickly velcro on and go get on with my other jobs while his legs cool.
Or anyone wanting to sell theirs? Will post in my area board too.

In which case - a pair of brushing boots a size too big, a tea towel and disposable ice cube bags.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I just commented on your wanted ad, but I should prob update here. I bought 4 physio ice gel packs. Its the same stuff thats in the cryochaps and cost me a fiver each. I put them on over microfibre dishcloths and under thermatex wraps or boots. Whatever I have to hand :)

ponyparty

Visit site
Yep LW has just replied to my other thread with the same suggestion. Simple but effective! Why don't I ever think of these things...

Leo Walker

Visit site
The gel ice packs definitely stay cooler and form round the legs better than just ice bags. You can squish them with your fingers and they are stll frozen, really weird things!