Iceland

hairycob

Visit site
We are travelling round the ring road next summer and I would like to do a ride while I'm there but everything I look at is either suitable for beginners or multi day. I don't fancy plodding along, does anyone know of a 2-3 hour ride that has a bit of excitement?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Visit site
I am sure the name had Star in it.

Regardless of what ride you book play down your riding slightly! You will get a nicer horse for it 😂 when they asked us how much riding we do/have done my oh (and I could have KILLED! him for it!) Said oh she rides racehorses and I used to. Their eyes lit up and off they scooted! Steve got his comeuppance! His pulled his arms out every single step of the way 😂😂😂 mine was incredibly cold backed but once you had gone forwards 5 or 6 ginger steps he relaxed and was actually a thoroughly delightful ride. They said after that those 2 don't get out very often as they never have anyone good enough to ride them. I assumed mine was a youngster - he was 18yo 😂

So yeah! Play it down a little! It's supposed to be a holiday and an enjoyable experience 😂

windswoo

Visit site
I hate it when OH says "oh she's experienced" you know that your going to get the horse that doesn't get out much!!
My friend went to Iceland last month and had a lovely ride out 1 - 1 for a few hours. I think she went to the same place as @Keith_Beef has suggested.

Palindrome

Visit site
It was over a decade ago but we did one with Polar Hestar and it was great. Since we didn't have a car, they came to pick us up from the tourism office in Akureyri.
The scenery was amazing and we did most of the hack in tölt which my beginner husband found easy to sit to.

Keith_Beef

Visit site

Vodkagirly

Visit site
We are travelling round the ring road next summer and I would like to do a ride while I'm there but everything I look at is either suitable for beginners or multi day. I don't fancy plodding along, does anyone know of a 2-3 hour ride that has a bit of excitement?
We just booked at one of tour kiosks on the main street for horse riding then whale watching. When we got there they asked who had experience and 4 of us went on a separate ride to the beginners which was quite fast, lots of tolt!

Nicnac

Visit site
I went with https://www.ishestar.is/ a couple of weeks ago. It was a dawn ride so started at 10.00am 😁 As we were only there for 5 days with lots to fit in we chose a venue close to Reykavik. The group split up and the experienced riders went off for a much faster ride. It was great fun! Absolutely stunning riding over ice and lava fields covered in snow with a beautiful mountainous backdrop.

If you're going round the ring road, I'd go to Eldhestar as further inland. Iceland is wonderful and I'm also going back in September.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I went on a week long ride with IsHestar in the late 1980s came home and started looking for an Icelandic horse.
Things might have changed since then but still don't big up your experience, they like their horses to be very forward. If they offer you a competition horse beware 😂

Nicnac

Visit site
I went on a week long ride with IsHestar in the late 1980s came home and started looking for an Icelandic horse.
Things might have changed since then but still don't big up your experience, they like their horses to be very forward. If they offer you a competition horse beware 😂
I had a competition horse. He was amazing! We had a ball and led the ride half the time chatting to one of the leaders - we were out with a couple of Polish girls, one of whom bought a horse off the Bunns at Hickstead and the other evented. I would love an Icelandic horse - tolt is so comfortable and for my last horse would be perfect as I go into my dotage!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Pointless postt but I've just sold my van and I'm determined not to just leave the money sitting in the bank, so Iceland here we come.

Recommendations for all inclusive tour operators flying from Manchester, 4 or 5* hotel with "inside the volcano" experience please!

Keith_Beef

Visit site
Hestar is the plural of hestur, one of the two words for horse, in Icelandic (the other being hross).
A thought popped into my head.

When I was in Iceland, almost every time I heard or saw the Icelandic word for "horse", it was "hestur". The only time I saw "hross" was on a restaurant menu.

I asked the man who rented a house to us if there was a difference between the two words, if perhaps "hestur" always meant "riding horse" and if "hross" meant a horse bred for its meat. He told me no, there wasn't any difference.

From what I've read, most Icelanders have tasted horse meat but it's not consumed very often; average annual consumption is only about 1.5 to 2kg per person.

But it's perhaps worth knowing that it can crop up on menus.

SEL

Visit site

When I was in Iceland, almost every time I heard or saw the Icelandic word for "horse", it was "hestur". The only time I saw "hross" was on a restaurant menu.

I asked the man who rented a house to us if there was a difference between the two words, if perhaps "hestur" always meant "riding horse" and if "hross" meant a horse bred for its meat. He told me no, there wasn't any difference.

From what I've read, most Icelanders have tasted horse meat but it's not consumed very often; average annual consumption is only about 1.5 to 2kg per person.

But it's perhaps worth knowing that it can crop up on menus.

Foal was on the menu all over Western Iceland on my last trip. I did actually check to see whether it translated as something other than baby horse, but nope.

Lamb was also on the menu so I guess its only my sensitivities kicking in that I'll eat one and not the other!

JackFrost

Visit site

What I was told by an Icelandic horse breeder -

'Icelandic horses have good temperaments. We don't breed from the ones that have bad temperaments, we eat them.'