Icelandic shows its pace

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I like it when I go out with new people and they look at us like 'that little hairy lump will never keep up with my big horse' and then they can't keep up with his walk even though his legs are half the length of their horse's, then when they trot or canter he just speeds up and tolts next to them with the competitive little glint in his eye that he has.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Lol that was cool. They are such funny little horses. My friend breeds them and I've had a few rides on them tolting all over the hills. Lots of fun for about 10 minutes but not my thing. However my friend thinks they are just fantastic :smile3:

doriangrey

Visit site
Look at the little dude go! It led me to the this lovely vid.

[video=youtube;uMajlBlpqIw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMajlBlpqIw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

Gloi

Visit site
Gloi. They look like fun to ride. Are they really smooth ?
Yes, if they are going well. If you ride one that is stiff and pacey, it's not comfortable, but when you get one with a nice tolt it's incredibly smooth. You sometimes only realise how fast you are going by the speed the scenery passes you by :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVoU_n97k8

Last edited:

stimpy

Visit site
Don't let a Icelandic person hear you!! They are horses!

I am an Icelandic person and I don't give a fig if you call them ponies ;) I certainly do!

If anyone shows an interest in my small hairy people I am just glad that they do and will happily prattle on for ages, the last thing I am going to do is give the pompous "Actually they are horses not ponies" speech.

Last edited:

TrasaM

Visit site
I am an Icelandic person and I don't give a fig if you call them ponies ;) I certainly do!

If anyone shows an interest in my small hairy people I am just glad that they do and will happily prattle on for ages, the last thing I am going to do is give the pompous "Actually they are horses not ponies" speech".

Your small hairy people are fascinating :) any photos?

stimpy

Visit site
Aha! I realise I do have a photo of one of mine:

attachment.php

See I can't resist if someone shows an interest ;)

Happytohack

Visit site
Another Icey owner (aka addict here). I've got several - all beautiful colours and at the moment very hairy. Wouldn't have any other breed :)

stimpy

Visit site
What a lovely horse. Great mane and tail ..:)

Aww shucks, thank you :) This was us on our Icelandic competition debut. Unfortunately later injury made it our one and only competition.

She is not my only Icelandic but she is very, very special to me, she is my soul mate :D She's actually not a very good tolter at all as she has a strong natural preference for trot (she just LOVES to canter though!) but I wouldn't change an atom of her :)

stimpy

Visit site
Competitions? Not today :p

Fab! I have plenty of those type of photos too, and plenty of such shots actually at competitions :D It amuses me how they can sleep flat out in a tiny corral in the middle of a show ground but that's an Icey for you.

Gloi

Visit site
You know him - Never pass the chance to have a snack and never pass the chance for a sleep - Stock that energy up in case it's a bad winter...and if it isn't - well just use it to go fast...

Annagain

Visit site
I had a go when I went to Iceland on holiday, it's surprisingly comfortable to sit to. Mine was only about 11hh so I was expecting a really choppy little stride but it was nothing like it, it almost felt like being on a boat on a river, not entirely smooth but generally just gliding along.