icey roads are you riding?

merlin12

Visit site
I have a weeks holiday from work and want to ride.I hack and have no access to a school. To reach the fields I have to ride on the roads for about half a mile.The roads are rural,icey and untreated. I don't feel happy riding on icey roads. I have friends who will risk it. What are your opinions?

NeilM

Visit site
I rode yesterday on cold / frosty roads and it was all fine, even on the spooky Anglo Arab I was exercising. There was a short section of frozen water, and we walked slowly up the centre of the road where the ice was less than paper thin.

However, at home, it was much colder and getting the ponies out of the field with its rock hard ground (they live out 24/7) would have been risky, although the roads themselves were just a bit frosty.

I guess it very much depends on just what the local conditions are like. I rode at around 11.30am, so the sun was warming everything up a bit, so maybe you could see how things are by mid morning.

High Hope

Visit site
Not a chance, sorry. I had a horse fall on the ice a few years ago and if it wasn't for a bit of luck he'd have smashed his shoulder blade. Now I'm suspicious of even a little bit of ice, never mind icy roads!!

oldie48

Visit site
NO I value my horse and myself too much. It's not just the risk of horse slipping but drivers sometimes don't drive well on icy roads either! can you book a lesson in an indoor school or hire one for an hour with a friend?

Sukistokes2

Visit site
No! Have been over on ice, would not risk it again. I try and wait for it to clear and if it does not leave it.
If you can get off road, why not lead carefully to the off road bit and then ride. Wait until the Day has got a bit warmer?

Greylegs

Visit site
Absolutely no! The yard has a sloping drive down to it and I think I'd struggle to get up to the lane (which is sheet ice at the mo). Staying home but lucky to have a nice indoor ..... 😄

AmieeT

Visit site
No. Our yard is at the top of a hill, with a spring. The bottom is like an ice rink. Just not worth it. If he were to slip or a car skidded (they come flying over the adjacent hill) then it would be over for us.

Not worth the risk at all IMO, even if I weren't on the hill.

Ax

lhotse

Visit site
Regardless of how stable your horse is on icy roads, remember that the car coming round the bend in front of you might not have the same grip...
I never ride on icy roads, it's just not worth the risk, one slip and you could have a horse with a smashed pelvis.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I don't do it these days. Too worried about a car skidding into me. In my youth we would tie sacking over their feet for grip and go out.

Dizzle

Visit site
I find unshod worse than shod in ice (but better in snow).

Remember it's not just about the horse slipping but if a car slips they might hit you.

PollyP99

Visit site
I went out yesterday at 2pm, roads were ok mostly, we have a section of very rural road with a slight incline that was slippy, I had enough room to get up on the verge so we managed fine, after this I'm on farm tracks and meadows so made sure I came back off road as by 4 it's getting dark and roads were icing up again. I agree that the non shod are fairing worse, my mares only slight slip was with a back unshod foot.

Auslander

Visit site
I'm not - dying to ride at the moment, but the lanes round me are treacherous, and I don't subscribe to the theory that unshod horses are better on ice. Spike slipped on an icy bit in the field yesterday morning, and I thought he was going to go over. No way would I take Alf on the roads - hes too precious, and too naughty!

Charlie007

Visit site
Would not even think about riding out on these roads. MY horses are too precious. I am barely turning out either as fields just to slippery. I am putting one out for an hour and hand grazing the other. Looking at the forecast its only for a few more days!!

Finlib

Visit site
went out as far as the crossroads by us about 2 miles on Sunday not bad there but looking up the steep hill we had to go up the ice looked bad so turned back for home.
We are off on holiday in 2 weeks ( 3 weeks in the Caribbean ! ) last thing we need is to get injured and have to call it off or for a horse to be injured (I hate leaving an injured horse) it would put a damper on the whole holiday.
Been riding in the indoor school the last couple of days.
Its just not worth it the horses are too precious to damage over one ride!

turkana

Visit site
No way would I ride on an icey road, even if I could avoid the ice by riding on the verge what if a car skidded & hit us?

starryeyed

Visit site
Nope, I'd never risk riding on an icy road, just too likely to go wrong. Its hard enough trying to get them across the yard to the fields without them sliding over at the moment!

Cragrat

Visit site
Just come back from a 1 1/2 hour hack, some on icy untreated rural roads. Would never have done it if the horses were shod. Even barefoot, we took care and kept either to the verge or the centre of the road. TBH, the worst bits were frozen puddles on the moors and tracks - hate the the thought of their fetlock getting sliced if they accidentally step in one.

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
I have actually.. HOWEVER only in our field and not on any roads. I've waited til the sun has been out and the frost has gone, but still only had a walk/trot.
haven't ha d it that bad here though tbh.
wouldn't even consider going on the road etc. Mine isn't shod either

Merrymoles

Visit site
Nope. Road outside our yard has been white over for days, despite being a bus route! The thought of causing an accident to horse, me or some unfortunate driver is enough to give my lad a week off.
However, looks like ice shortly to be replaced by high winds - joy!

Sparkles

Visit site
Mines shod in front and we were slipping behind yesterday. Had to go up on the verge. Wouldn't have gone out if I'd realised that road was going to be that bad. The main road through village was fine, but not the one stretch of road we had to go down to circle back.

littleshetland

Visit site
Never! Although the local hunt horses (Hunt stables are only about 1 mile away) go clattering up the road, no matter what state the roads are in - thick fog, ice - ride one, lead one... and only occasionally remembering to wear Hi Viz! It makes my hair stand on end! But no, I never ride on the ice - it's just not worth the risk.

DD265

Visit site
We thought we could make it up to the bridleway (just to graze inhand) and were fine until my boy got overly keen, started rushing and found a patch of black ice. Once he lost his grip that was it, I couldn't keep him up. Terrifying. Thankfully he appears unscathed.

We are now confined to quarters!