Ideal Jessica Dressage Saddle

Cor

Visit site
Hi guys, I am considering various models of dressage saddles, I came across the Ideal Jessica and I really liked it.

Could any of the current (or previous users) offer any feedback?
1) What is the quality of the leather?
2) Is it soft?
3) I really insist on the lower leg being a bit behind, so does this saddle help in the correct hip/shoulder/heel alignment ( I currently have a wintec which to be honest does not help at all and sometimes I end up in the chair position because the stirrup bars are a bit forward)
4) What if the size does not prove to be a good fit? Can it be adjusted in any way?
5) Is the seat size relevant to the rider or the horse?

Many many thank

be positive

Visit site
The jessica is a fairly simple type of saddle, very little knee roll and I dont think it really keeps your leg back, one of my clients with a hip problem bought one because it did not force her position and this saddle was the only one we tried that she could ride in without pain.
The quality is fair for a saddle in the price range, Ideals generally fit most horses, I have found even tricky ones seem to suit the trees.
The seat needs to suit the rider, if you are long in the thigh you may need a bigger saddle but obviously it must suit your horse too.

I would get a saddler with a good range to come out and let you try some, what looks good does not always feel right to ride in and a dressage saddle must be something that fits you otherwise you will be constantly trying to adjust your postition.

Thistle

Visit site
If you are buying secondhand be aware that the saddle has evolved over the years and may have different blocks/flap lengths etc according to the original purchasers requirements.

I have one I'm selling atm, have replaced with an Ideal Susannah for a bit more rider support. PM me for details, don't want to be accused of advertising.

StormyMoments

Visit site
i have ridden in an ideal jessica and it was a comfy saddle but it doesnt really encourage a correct position. the seat is deep but again you can sit in it like an arm chair. if your looking for an ideal saddle that encourages correct position i would be more inclined to look at the ideal susannah :) hope thats a bit of help

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I have a Jessica, I love it. It doesn't have much in the way of knee rolls and I think it's more of an "entry level" DR saddle. It's very comfy but I do find it quite a big saddle. I have it in 17.5in and also have a 17.5in Jeffries Elite (jumping saddle) - the Jessica is just a much bigger saddle all round. I use a seat saver with it to take up a bit of the extra room in the seat but don't need that with the Jeffries.

The quality of the leather is nice - I think mine has that crump leather on the knee rolls which is really soft. As long as I keep it looked after and oiled, it's a lovely soft saddle. I've had Wintec in the past and you'll find the Jessica worlds away from that! It helps my position a lot and I think I get the correct position although it doesn't force or hold you in to it. Ideals aren't the best saddles in the world but they're nice and I love them.

Do you mean the size in relation to the horse? I bought it because I could have the tree adjusted if need be - my horse is a MW and my saddler is happy to widen it to a W as/when the time comes (he is young so will muscle up). I've had other Ideal saddles adjusted in the past too. The seat size relates to you and the horse - a bigger seat size will be longer on the horse, though you can get saddles with longer seats but shorter panels.

Cor

Visit site
Thanks to all for your replies.

Out of the following three, which one would you recommend the most for a high-withered TB mare ,used to being ridden on a Wintec saddle?
1) Heather Moffett Vogue (btw are these too expensive? I cannot find indicative prices anywhere)
2) Wintec Isabell CAIR synthetic dressage
3)Ideal Jessica

Ideal Susannah are sold at what prices?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
You need to get a saddle fitter out with some to try - no one can advise you of which will suit your horse, especially as no one will have seen her. But, FWIW, my old boy is quite high withered now as he's lost some muscle/posture with age. He suits the Ideal Jessica really well and likes the large, flat panels. I loathe treeless saddles and am yet to see one (inc all of the HMs!) that don't roll around on the horse's back. I tried the Wintec Isabell on my big horse and it looked awful.

StormyMoments

Visit site
new or second hand? and i wouldnt put CAIR near any of my horses tbh... i have no experience with any heather moffett saddles so cant advise but i would go with the ideal jessica

new the susannah is around £1224
second hand - between £500 and £900

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have four Jessica's they are on the flair system and have belonged to many different horses they are my start saddles for dressage and after a horse is older and more developed I usually buy them something customn .
They are comfortable very good valve for money I have never had difficultly getting my leg underneath me in them I however have never fount I needed blocking to do this I like the fact you can shorten your stirrups a bit for a short hack and feel secure in them.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I have four Jessica's they are on the flair system and have belonged to many different horses they are my start saddles for dressage and after a horse is older and more developed I usually buy them something customn .
They are comfortable very good valve for money I have never had difficultly getting my leg underneath me in them I however have never fount I needed blocking to do this I like the fact you can shorten your stirrups a bit for a short hack and feel secure in them.

I've been cubbing and on fun rides in my Jessica!! Just had to save jumping more than 2ft6 or so for when I bought my jumping saddle!

brucea

Visit site
I have a modified Jessica for my high withered ISH - it's flaired which I think is much better

It doesn't fit him well now as he has changed shape as he gotten older (haven't we all!)

Bit I love the saddle - lovely leather, very smart, comfortable saddle. I like the position - my legs just fall away.

Cor

Visit site
Ideally I would like to get a new one, as you say, newest models have the latest features and are evolved compared to the earlier models.

You will not believe this but unfortunately I do not live in the UK and I cannot find a proper and qualified saddler here...

That is why I would consider the Wintec Isabelle which is adjustable..

Also, your views on Bates?

Brightbay

Visit site
I really insist on the lower leg being a bit behind, so does this saddle help in the correct hip/shoulder/heel alignment ( I currently have a wintec which to be honest does not help at all and sometimes I end up in the chair position because the stirrup bars are a bit forward)

I have an older Jessica and it is a very good shape and size for my horse, so we stick with it - but it does make it difficult to have a correct hip/shoulder/heel alignment. I have to constantly remind myself to move lower leg back. My previous saddle was a Heather Moffat Easisit Dressage - correct position for me was effortless, but it didn't suit the horse in terms of tree shape.

Having said that, the Jessica is pretty versatile for a dressage saddle, and I have done long pleasure rides, LeTrec and small jumps in it.

I would rather something with the stirrup bars set back a bit, but it's the horse who comes first, and if the Jessica is the saddle for him, that's what we'll use :)