ideal jessica saddle on wider horses?

KatB

Visit site
I'm looking at a cheapy Dr. Saddle for rat bag. She is quite round, and is in a mw equipe jump saddle. I'd love an equipe dressage, but can afford one! So, I have heard the Jessica's are good for rounder ponies, and they come up cheaply...anyone had any experience of them on rounder Irish type horses?! :)

Tempi

Visit site
The tree in the Jessica was too curved for both my flat backed wider horses.

Ive actually got Jups in a Thorowgood cob dressage saddle at the moment which are super for the flat backed wide horses - and as hideous as i think it is (no offence to anyone who has one, just not my cup of tea to look at) its actually really comfy and he loves it. The T8 (?) version which is all leather look are much nicer, ive just got the bog standard T4 which I got off eBay.

Also Kent and Masters S Series are good, same design/makers as Thorowgoods but nicer to look at (!) and are excellent value for money.

KatB

Visit site
Sounds good. She's not actually flat backed, she is croup high so the jessica may suit....will look at the other though, thanks!

TiaPony

Visit site
I have a Jessica on Tia, fits her like a glove. She looks like this:
photo-4.jpg

It belonged to a chunky event horse before her:
1-3.jpg

Both horses are built wide, as you can see, and the Jessica fitted them both beautifully. It is an older model though.

KatB

Visit site
Thanks guys :) fingers crossed! Have just brought one off eBay cheaply, so fingers crossed...figure I should be able to sell it on again relatively easily if not :)...

muffinthemule

Visit site
I had a MW on my round ISH. Great fit and lovely quality saddles. Super comfy just a wee but too much saddle for me. They come up generous in width but can be easily adjusted. Good luck!

HammieHamlet

Visit site
I'm looking at a cheapy Dr. Saddle for rat bag. She is quite round, and is in a mw equipe jump saddle. I'd love an equipe dressage, but can afford one! So, I have heard the Jessica's are good for rounder ponies, and they come up cheaply...anyone had any experience of them on rounder Irish type horses?! :)

I'm in exactly the same postion!! I have a medium equipe expression closed contact saddle, which was measured recently and has actually stretched out to a MW! :p

I would love a dressage saddle and whilst the fitter was out, we put on the equipe emporio which fitted perfectly in a MW (+1) but sadly I need to win the lottery first... I'm sure they've also gone up in price recently?!

Which size equipe do you have currently and what are you going for with the jessica? I'd be interested to hear how the fitting translates... I've tried riding my boy in a wintec issabella werth synthetic but it just perches on top and really not very comfortable/// :(

trendybraincell

Visit site
Yep I've got an Ideal Jessica on my Welsh Cob. Fits nicely and he moves well in it, I changed from a show saddle and the difference the Ideal has made has been fab!

millimoo

Visit site
My mum has a Derby House Kentucky on her 17hh XW witherless warmblood.
She tried the Jessica and that fitted better than anything else she tried - she considered changing to a newer saddle a couple of years ago.
The horse is semi retired now and the Derby House still fits.
One to consider if your eBay purchase doesn't work out, and sensible money 2nd hand too

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Hey my mare has an Equipe Synergy jump saddle in a medium tree and she has just had an Ideal Jessica in a medium tree fitted as well!! Both are just the standard off the peg saddles and fit perfectly.So both are obviously the right tree shape for her. I'd therefore hope that you would find the same- if your equipe is an off the peg one, then the jessica should fit as well!

KatB

Visit site
Sounds promising! Hammiehamlet, L has a +1 equipe which has probably stretched a bit, and the jessica I have brought is a MW, so fingers crossed...I will let you know!
Seabiscuit, that sounds very promising! The jessica isn't my favourite saddle as far as rider comfort, but its better than riding in a jump saddle all the time, and thought it was one of the more likely dressage saddles I've seen to fit...the one I've brought looks to have nice flat panels, which is definitely a good sign!!

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Yes it isn't an amazing ride, I don't sit deep enough in it for my liking, nor feel like i am in an amazing position,but it is certainly very acceptable, and horse loves it!

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Kat- any ideas for dressage saddles that offer deeper seat/closer contact with the same sort of tree shape would be fab!
( so I can save up ! )
I am more than happy with my Jessica but its just not quite that amazing feeling !

KatB

Visit site
seabiscuit, yes exactly, and the twist is a bit wide for my liking...but nice saddles for the money! The equipe single flap is beautiful...can't remember the name of the model, it they're just over 2k. I know someone who owns a saddlery who stocks equipe, and she sells lots of them, theyre beautiful Dr. Saddles!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
When you try it out, and presuming you will first check the width is right, do see if it lifts at the back in rising trot - they do tend to be a bit curvy for many wider horses. It should stay totally still in all paces.