Ideal Suzannah/Ideal Roella dressage saddles (also posted in CR)

DorothyJ

Visit site
Hi,

Frustratingly I am still awaiting my new Ideal Suzannah dressage saddle (ordered in January) and am starting to give up hope. The saddler I ordered it through has been chasing Ideal but sadly their customer service is non-existent. She is starting to wonder whether it will ever get made as it seems that Ideal is far more interested in fulfilling the big orders it gets from Europe. :(

I am now considering just having a refund and looking for a 2nd hand one. I need an 18 inch MW saddle in brown, so if anyone knows of one for sale, please let me know!

I am also wondering whether a Roella might be an option. I understand it is the same saddle, so should fit my horse the same, just built with a narrower waist, which I actually think I might like. Not tried one though. Can anyone comment on the difference between the two from the riders point of view?

Many thanks :)

Abacus

Visit site
I recently had both a Suzannah and Roella, both in 17.5 wide - I was trying to get a Suzannah but couldn't find one so bought the Roella, and of course the moment it arrived a Suzannah popped up on Ebay. Didn't want to miss it, so I bought both.

They look much the same but the Roella has noticeably smaller seat and somewhat narrower rear panels. Both fitted the horse fairly well although he is a big chap (17.1 and quite broad) so I felt the Suzannah's wider panels were better.

To ride in I found them both comfortable, I have quite long legs but still fitted ok into the Roella for schooling. My only complaint with it was that if I wanted to pull my stirrups up a little for hacking, I did then notice the smaller seat and my knees poked a bit too far forwards. I think it would be ok for a petite rider with shorter legs.

The saddler confirmed that the Suzannah was a better fit for the horse and I did prefer it, but would have been happy enough with either. I got back what I paid for the Roella - there's a good second hand market in both sorts.

Apparently buying second hand you have to be a little careful, as so many Ideals are made to measure that the 'MW' you get on Ebay may or may not be a perfectly standard MW. But on the plus side, they are quite adjustable and so can often be made to fit.

Zargon_91

Visit site
I have a roella and it is definately a smaller seated saddle, the flaps on it are shorter too, for me (5'3) and my 15.1 warmblood, its perfect although if you were much taller i think you'd struggle!

DorothyJ

Visit site
Thank you both. It does sound as though I will want a Suzannah rather than a Roella.

Anyone know of one for sale? 18 inch MW in brown :)