Ideas for a bored pony?

Northern

Visit site
Sorry, the search function does not appear to be working for me at the moment :(

So I have a pony, K, who has been lame for a few months. We've finally gotten to the bottom of the cause, and she's awaiting an arthroscopy to clean up her joint :eek: .
Unfortunately she has to be on restricted turnout at the moment, which is not exactly fitting in with her idea of fun and paddock pony life. I want try and keep her entertained, but apart from buying a treat ball, I am out of ideas!
Has anyone got any homemade/bought ideas for things I can entertain the madam with? Ideas appreciated!

Bonus picture of K enjoying the winter sun for thanks :)

dhUfEqw.jpg

Northern

Visit site
Seems everyone else is as clueless as I am :D

If the region weren't one big chunk of ice at the moment, I would freeze fruit in blocks of ice. I suspect it wouldn't be welcomed at the moment with our minus 7-8 degree mornings :D Any non icey ideas?

GeorgiaR95

Visit site
Have you thought about a lickit? Im thinking more the ones in the plastic tubs? Mine stand and lick them for ages! Keeps them occupied plus they love their treat balls, i usually put bigger treats in so they dont fall out straight away, keeps them occupied for longer! :)

Northern

Visit site
Have you thought about a lickit? Im thinking more the ones in the plastic tubs? Mine stand and lick them for ages! Keeps them occupied plus they love their treat balls, i usually put bigger treats in so they dont fall out straight away, keeps them occupied for longer! :)

I have - but I once bought her a carrot lickit and it was the ONLY thing she has ever completely rejected and spat out! Maybe worth trying the other flavours though, thanks for the thought :)

GeorgiaR95

Visit site
I used to get mine one i think it was a 5kg one, they have garlic and other flavours, its like tar in texture but solid so takes them ages to get through it, i used to take the lid off then just pop the tub on the floor. (Mine love the garlic one)

Nasicus

Visit site
Uncle Jimmy's Licky Thing's last so much longer than the normal hanging Likits, especially in cooler weather. A bit more expensive, but one would last a couple of days with my (then) yearling pretty much glued to it the entire time, whereas the hanging likits would take one big chomp and be in bits on the floor. The tongue twister toys lasted well though, unless they popped out of the plastic holders haha!

I did try hiding treats in her hay, which I was feeding from a huge bucket at the time, but she quickly cottoned on and would pull all the hay out to get the treats, trample it and wee all over it!

A swede on a string is usually popular, my mare loves them, 2yo isn't as keen on them as they required a bit of effort to eat.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Is she actually bored or do you just think she might be?
A lickit or equivalent would be the last thing I would let a rested pony have! Bloomin awful things.

Northern

Visit site
Thanks all! I don't think she's extremely bored, she has a sizable yard to wander around. But it's a big difference to being out 24/7 usually, will have to be patient for a while too before going back to that :(

I used to get mine one i think it was a 5kg one, they have garlic and other flavours, its like tar in texture but solid so takes them ages to get through it, i used to take the lid off then just pop the tub on the floor. (Mine love the garlic one)

Thanks, I'll see if I can source some treats to see which one she likes best!

Can't see the photo :( Now I'm curious!

Uncle Jimmy's Licky Thing's last so much longer than the normal hanging Likits, especially in cooler weather. A bit more expensive, but one would last a couple of days with my (then) yearling pretty much glued to it the entire time, whereas the hanging likits would take one big chomp and be in bits on the floor. The tongue twister toys lasted well though, unless they popped out of the plastic holders haha!

I did try hiding treats in her hay, which I was feeding from a huge bucket at the time, but she quickly cottoned on and would pull all the hay out to get the treats, trample it and wee all over it!

A swede on a string is usually popular, my mare loves them, 2yo isn't as keen on them as they required a bit of effort to eat.

I was eyeing these off the other day, thanks for the feedback. A swede might be entertaining to try, wonder if she would make the effort though :p

Is she actually bored or do you just think she might be?
A lickit or equivalent would be the last thing I would let a rested pony have! Bloomin awful things.

Interesting question, I didn't actually think she would cope so well being in the yard. She'll need to be stabled in a couple of weeks for a while (which she has never been in my ownership), so I thought trying things out now to distract her would help? Why do you think Lickits are awful? I've never really seen them, only in the shops. And when she spat out the carrot lickit treat :D

Laika

Visit site
Bobbing Apples! Get a big water bucket filled up and put some cut up apples in there, that might keep her entertained for a bit :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They are awful because they are pure sugar so mine wouldn't have one even when in proper work. When dossing it seems a bit like shutting a kid in their room with an extra large tube of smarties ;).

Swedes, mine are allowed swedes though they tend to nibble and come back, hung up veg generally. No smarties.

Northern

Visit site
They are awful because they are pure sugar so mine wouldn't have one even when in proper work. When dossing it seems a bit like shutting a kid in their room with an extra large tube of smarties ;).

Swedes, mine are allowed swedes though they tend to nibble and come back, hung up veg generally. No smarties.

Fair enough :D I do remember I was a bit shocked at the consistency of the treat, it was a bit like sherbet when crumbled. Went in the bin anyhow, couldn't find a victim who would have it!