Ideas for an alternative for expensive plaiting spray

Notimetoride

Visit site
I begrudge paying £12 for a bottle of plaiting spray that I won't use again, so looking for suggestions for alternatives. Anyone used human styling/blow dry spray ?

cronkmooar

Visit site
You can use human setting lotion, but why bother?

Just wet the section of the mane you are working on with water, comb through then wet your hands and plait tightly.

I have never used anything other than water. If I was plaiting over night I would put a bit of hairspray over them before putting on a hood and they would be perfect in the morning

VikingSong

Visit site
You can use human setting lotion, but why bother?

Just wet the section of the mane you are working on with water, comb through then wet your hands and plait tightly.

I have never used anything other than water. If I was plaiting over night I would put a bit of hairspray over them before putting on a hood and they would be perfect in the morning

This.

humblepie

Visit site
Sometimes use some human hair gel - some of the horse stuff was reduced at our local saddlers and knowing a couple of people who swear by it, I bought it and must admit prefer the hair gel or just water.

Starzaan

Visit site
Egg white! Whisk up and egg white a little bit with a drop of water, brush that through the mane, and voila - quick plait at a fraction of the price!
I promise it works wonders.

eggs

Visit site
Some years ago I used to use setting lotion if plaiting the night before but these days I just damp the mane.

One tip is not to wash the mane for a couple of days before you want to plait as a slightly greasy mane plaits better.

only_me

Visit site
water! Just dampen down mane prior to plaiting, then plait tightly.

otherwise if going all out for a big show you could just get some industrial sized hair gel type (tbh any type of gel would work I imagine!) and just put some on to stop little flyaways :)

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I always use hair spray when plaiting, spray the lot and let it dry, then plait and spray again after. My plaits could stay neat for ages ! (I left a couple by accident, hidden in the mane and they were still perfect 2 weeks on!) Spray hair gel should work well too.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I'm gobsmacked that anyone would waste their money on 'plaiting spray' 😳
Plain water or a cheap human gel spray (my favourite is 59p!)

NZJenny

Visit site
I'm gobsmacked that anyone would waste their money on 'plaiting spray' ��
Plain water or a cheap human gel spray (my favourite is 59p!)

I used to think same, and then I got the mane from hell. Horse objects strongly to having it pulled, it's bush pony thick at the top, missing a bit completely in the middle and grows like a weed. The only way I can thin it is to rake it, which leaves the hair uneven length wise. So, I gave in and bought some spray to glue in the bits, but on the plus side it goes a long way and will last for a couple of years I recon.