Ideas for building a basic yard from scratch

HorseMaid

Visit site
We're buying a field ? it will be very much a work in progress and I can't imagine I'd be moving onto it straight away as currently it is literally just a field. Budget will be very small but looking for ideas of what people have done to create a functional, useable yard, I'm not bothered about posh.

I am going to speak to my local council to find out what we do and don't need planning permission for but initially I'm thinking we will need to have some groundwork done to create a yard area and parking area, we won't be able to do anything without that. I'm thinking of using road planings for this, hoping we won't need planning if it counts as a permeable surface. Would like a yard area to feed hay on in the winter so not hock deep in mud. Have looked at the mud control mats but they do seem expensive!

Am then thinking of having two double field shelters on skids with gates, rubber matting inside, again to hopefully get round any planning issues. These would be instead of stables to allow horses to hopefully be out all year but to double up as stables if needed. Would fence off the yard area too so it could be used as a loafing area if weather awful/field boggy.

Tack storage and hay/feed storage is where I'm coming unstuck. The field is rural but quite tucked away however obviously would be worried about security of tack and equipment, what are the options for this? I'm erring towards a steel container but they're a bit of an eyesore!!

Backtoblack

Visit site
Congratulations! we bought our field some 20 years ago and the best thing ever. advice on the yard, firstly i'd make sure that the parking area building area etc is larger than you think you'll need andmake sure that the surface is good and deep. we used stone on ours , we now have a grass free turn out a car parking place and buildings. nothing worse than getting stuck inm mud in the cold wet winter. then arangre for water collection containers to be put alongside the buildings to collect rianwater, comes in very handy. we have bukilt sheds planted hedges and trees introduced a caravan and made paddocks and a garden on our place, its our little buit of heaven. Enjoy. a steel container is a good idea you can always screen it with trees and other plants and paint it dark green

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We did fairly similar.
We post and railed a yard area. Twice the size needed.
Put a stone base and originally road planings on top. Rolled well.
Put cheap wooden stables on skids with rubber mats.
Originally wood chipped the other half of the yard (fenced off) as a leg stretch/turnout area (this has been the best thing ever! Woodchip has been replaced with arena surface and is so handy)
Over the years we have added and changed bits but all done on the cheap and all had worked very well.

Burnttoast

Visit site
I used road planings and wish I'd used limestone to dust, which would have rolled flat and stayed down. The planings wedged in my boy's feet when it was hot and gave him a toe crack, and the flat-footed old boy found them too ouchy. I needed a quick solution so have rubber matted over almost the whole yard which cost a bomb but was still cheaper than having the contractors back out. Maybe one day if I ever feel rich...

I think once you've paid for the contractor and the removal of spoil and the materials mud control mats are no more expensive and no PP needed. Some horses find them slippery though - plenty of sand on top helps.

I had a permanent perimeter track fenced off and the yard is part of it so in the summer they have the yard and track and in the winter I close the ends of the yard and there's a gate into the winter grazing in the middle. I have an earth-fast pole barn with open sides in the yard and take water off the roof, and a biggish shed for hay/feed next to the yard just off the track. It works well, I don't ever shut them out of the yard so we don't have much mud as there's no hanging around at gateways. Mine are retired so no tack but tbh I think I'd keep tack at home.

HorseMaid

Visit site
Thank you all - good tip about having the hardstanding bigger than you need! We're not in a limestone area but a major road is being dug up over the next year nearby so I'm hoping there will be an abundance of road planing etc for next to nothing, also only about 4 miles from a quarry!

SEL

Visit site
I bought mine and it's set out more as a traditional yard with stables (on skids) around hard standing. The HUGE plus is a covered hay barn. I only use half of it for hay and the other half I've set up to tie a horse in so you can work out of the rain - my farrier is a fan.

If I was doing it from scratch I'd have all the machinery and hay in the area near the road and the other half accessible from the field so it could be a dry area for horses to mooch in.

I've got loads of mud mats. They are pricey but they are fabulous on wet ground.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Congratulations.

The tip about insulated containers is right. We have one of each and the uninsulated one gets cold and damp in winter and then condensates in summer. Its rubbish. OH has drilled tie rings into the side of the container which are a god send. The container acts as a wind break so you never seem to be in the weather when grooming tacking up etc. So check which way the weather comes from and position accordingly.

My only other advise would be not to put any permanent internal fencing in until you have done all 4 seasons there. That way you will know where the wet and dry areas are and how to rotate your grazing best. Same applies for water troughs and gates.

Oh - and make friends with your neighbours - they are invaluable security. Mine all get eggs and manure offered to them regularly. I also moved all my muck heaps (3) to the other side of the field away from the houses. Seemed logical but the previous people had them against the fence next to the houses, who got inundated with files. We also only push full barrows down hill now - win win.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've had my small yard for many years and still don't leave tack there. It goes home and back every time. Only very occasionally have I left something there in the morning but picked up again later in the day. I do keep an old bridle in the back of the horsebox for emergencies tho.
I've had petty thieving on 2 or 3 occasions in the past (plus also a livery trying to abscond with a fair amount of rugs, hay, feed, headcollars etc) and it's just prudent to bring tack home.

I have tarmac scalpings to the main gate, then yard parking is type 1 whackered down and muck heap placed so it can easily be accessed without obstruction. Yard set to side of main gate with 2 small blocks of stables and hay barn facing each other and concrete running as a pad between them which is roughly 20 ft x 40ft.

Good luck ?

HorseMaid

Visit site
So do you need planning permission to have something such as a container there for storage usually? The same goes to poster above regarding your caravan/little garden? I know a little yard locally got done for planning breaches as they were using it to store some old cars and caravans (I think) which the council didn't like - I never saw it but I imagine it looked like steptoes yard!

Birker2020

Visit site
We're buying a field ? it will be very much a work in progress and I can't imagine I'd be moving onto it straight away as currently it is literally just a field. Budget will be very small but looking for ideas of what people have done to create a functional, useable yard, I'm not bothered about posh.

I am going to speak to my local council to find out what we do and don't need planning permission for but initially I'm thinking we will need to have some groundwork done to create a yard area and parking area, we won't be able to do anything without that. I'm thinking of using road planings for this, hoping we won't need planning if it counts as a permeable surface. Would like a yard area to feed hay on in the winter so not hock deep in mud. Have looked at the mud control mats but they do seem expensive!

Am then thinking of having two double field shelters on skids with gates, rubber matting inside, again to hopefully get round any planning issues. These would be instead of stables to allow horses to hopefully be out all year but to double up as stables if needed. Would fence off the yard area too so it could be used as a loafing area if weather awful/field boggy.

Tack storage and hay/feed storage is where I'm coming unstuck. The field is rural but quite tucked away however obviously would be worried about security of tack and equipment, what are the options for this? I'm erring towards a steel container but they're a bit of an eyesore!!
I'd say whatever you do, don't skimp on the base. You need a good foundation. You need a sub base and then a concrete base on top. This should be sloping slightly to allow for drainage. You should leave 2 or 3 weeks from concrete base to stables being put down.

"Planning permission is also required if you are installing an impermeable material. This is a material that doesn't naturally absorb rainfall. These materials include concrete, asphalt, and clay. "

Last edited:

gryff

Visit site
Be careful with road planings-our council doesn't allow them. We've had to go for full planning permission for something very similar to what you're looking into doing, so please be careful. And anything involving concrete will definitely need planning.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
May I strongly suggest that you decide what you require and instruct a local surveyor to approach the planning department on your behalf as they speek the same language and know what to say. Has your field got Planning Permission for Equestrian Use - if not you will need to apply for change of use from agricultural to equestrian? When creating gateways etc you are better off getting the ground dug away, laying down a membrane then two grades of limestiones with fines on the top as that will last a lifetime. Road plannings should not be used as they contaminate the ground. You may also need to put drainage in to the ground.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Be careful with road planings-our council doesn't allow them. We've had to go for full planning permission for something very similar to what you're looking into doing, so please be careful. And anything involving concrete will definitely need planning.

I was also going to say that road planings are not permeable, so you would need PP. We have mud control mats which don't work out much more, if any, expensive than all the substrata you would need for planings and they have worked very well for us. We use them as hard standing in front of the field shelter, which in our case is a refurbished outbuilding.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Over what most here will say I would add:

1. I have always wanted a western tie up area like this https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/465981892670336331/.
  2. wash down box would be nice.
  3. gd straight bit of yard for trotting horses up and down for the vet.
  4. round pen for lunging.
  5. 20 meter grass round pen for limited turnout due to injuries.
  6. area for draining wet hay (we have a row of tie rings on the side of the school)
  7. Muck hill area easy access for removal

Prob other ideas but these spring to mind

HorseMaid

Visit site
OK so road planings possibly not so good - we'll be happy to go down the planning route if necessary and I'd definitely be getting a surveyor or consultant on board if needed - yes would need to apply for change of use also. Was more interested in ideas for the actual set up - as I mentioned there's a big quarry a few miles away so hopefully getting stone brought in wouldn't be too difficult! I like the Western tie up area ?

meleeka

Visit site
I was allowed planings but not containers. I even put cladding on but apparently a neighbour complained so I was made to move them. Ironically their replacement, a 24ft barn, on skids but never moved, was allowed. I’d say speak to your council as they all seem to be different.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I was allowed planings but not containers. I even put cladding on but apparently a neighbour complained so I was made to move them. Ironically their replacement, a 24ft barn, on skids but never moved, was allowed. I’d say speak to your council as they all seem to be different.

My containers have been there 10 plus years. A new neighbour arrived and complained to the council about them. I've had to apply for a certificate of lawful use. As they have been there more than 4 years it was an open and shut case, but I'm about £500 out of pocket and the council really made sure we jumped through hoops to get what we wanted. It depends what area you are in and the opinion of the council officer you have visit. The officer that came to us said that they are permanent as they sit on the ground under their own weight (don't we all). I really didn't understand how that was different to a mobile shelter but we (OH) didn't want to argue and make the situation worse (potentially loose mobile shelters too). 12 months on and we are now all legal, but its been a very stressful journey.

HorseMaid

Visit site
Just updating this thread because I don't really do social media much and I want to tell someone, it's very nearly a year to the day since I wrote this post and we've just moved the horses in today!!

It's been the hardest slog, we had a hardstanding put in over winter which took forever because of the weather, we sourced and collected a second hand block of 3 stables and a double field shelter for an absolute bargain price (less than £1k for them both). We've built the buildings, roofed them, banged in posts, put up rails and gates, but today which was glorious but windy we put our girls out there and they settled to eat immediately and I just cannot wait for the summer. There's still a lot of work to be done (we needs rubber mats, lots of) but it's a start and very satisfying! Wanted to thank everyone for their advice which I will be reading back through 😊

IMG-20230420-WA0010_copy_800x600_1.jpg

IMG_20230420_134902_copy_1824x840.jpg
IMG_20230420_134823_copy_840x1824.jpg

dottylottie

Visit site
what about an old caravan for a tack room, providing you can make it secure enough? will double as a brew room, somewhere to charge phones/plug clippers in etc, and will hopefully give the illusion of someone being on-site to deter anyone messing with the horses/equipment!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
My advice is don't scrimp on anything as rthe better the quality of build and materials the less deterioration and maintenance that will be required. Do not approach the Planning Department yourself as this will alert them and it may backfire on you. Instruct a local surveyor or planning consultant to obtain the planning consent for you.

PurBee

Visit site
Congratulations! Well done for getting that set-up within the year. You got a great bargain with your shelters🙂
Love the 2nd pic of horse looking wistfully over the electric fence…i have a gelding who does that often thinking “mmmm…that grass looks greener” 😁
(it usually is! Lol)

Worth doing general searches on advert websites for ‘rubber mats’ - we managed to find an ad for 1 inch thick 1mx1m mats of crumb rubber used in a child-care creche outdoor play area being sold-off cheap. 5quid each, normally 50 quid new. Theyre excellent. Theyve lasted a decade so far. You might equally find something suitable and a bargain from an unlikely source.

HorseMaid

Visit site
Congratulations! Well done for getting that set-up within the year. You got a great bargain with your shelters🙂
Love the 2nd pic of horse looking wistfully over the electric fence…i have a gelding who does that often thinking “mmmm…that grass looks greener” 😁
(it usually is! Lol)

Worth doing general searches on advert websites for ‘rubber mats’ - we managed to find an ad for 1 inch thick 1mx1m mats of crumb rubber used in a child-care creche outdoor play area being sold-off cheap. 5quid each, normally 50 quid new. Theyre excellent. Theyve lasted a decade so far. You might equally find something suitable and a bargain from an unlikely source.
Thank you, definitely on the lookout for lots of mats but it will have to be as money allows, have been up today putting up lots of hooks for hanging up rugs and saddle racks which is very satisfying! Horses were still contained withing their paddock and lay down for a sleep twice while we've been here, they seem very relaxed which is lovely to see

PurBee

Visit site
Thank you, definitely on the lookout for lots of mats but it will have to be as money allows, have been up today putting up lots of hooks for hanging up rugs and saddle racks which is very satisfying! Horses were still contained withing their paddock and lay down for a sleep twice while we've been here, they seem very relaxed which is lovely to see
Its really satisfying to see all the hard work paying off isnt it? 🙂 I always love introducing the horses to new areas ive been altering and adjusting for them, then letting them loose there to investigate. They really love it, having a snoop about, checking out new boundaries, tails high and enthusiastic! It’s funny because they tend to then stay in the ‘new bit’ for a couple of weeks….it becomes their favourite area for a while 🙂

Yours evidently love their new home already, relaxed enough to sleep…that’s lovely, well done! 🥳