Ideas for firming poo!

Mega

Visit site
Hi
I have 6 horses. In the last few months one of the ponies has had loose poo. They all get fed the same and turned out on adjoining paddocks and only one has loose poo.
My daughter was keen to feed Alfa a with oil so we added to their feeds, gradually of course, I’m thinking this could be causing the loose poo and have taken it out of his diet to see if it improves.
Any other ideas or comments?
Thank you.

windand rain

Visit site
our oldies get loose poo from eating hay. They are all given 25 grms of psyllium in a small handful of freshly 10 minute soaked pink mash which helps a lot they get hay every day and fed their main feed everyday but the small psyllium feed is usually an hour before they get the main one or there abouts. The ancient one nearly died last spring as he was just passing black watery poo but the pink mash and psyllium saved him

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Pink mash.

Fibre.

If that doesn't work then something else going on. What's the poo and his breath smell like?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Protexin was good short term but you really have to find out whats causing it all underneath.

windand rain

Visit site
Think ours just do not tolerate hay well the soil is sandy too so a mix of sand and intolerance of hay gives them the runs happens every year about now when grass is pretty much gone so hay consumption increases. Old boy has lots of high calorie low filler foods and usually wears a rug his withers are a bit sore so while it is dry and milder It is off for a few days to let it heal and will be using/ stealing Adorable Alices idea of sponge wither pads
Pink mash contains Protexin and has some linseed as a higher calorie feed,

ozpoz

Visit site
I'm really impressed with Agrobs mash. No water with poo after only one week, fewer poos, sane and picked up condition.

Mega

Visit site
Pink mash.

Fibre.

If that doesn't work then something else going on. What's the poo and his breath smell like?
Poo and breath smell normal and he looks in good condition and seems very well in himself just his poo isn’t as firm as the others, not sloppy but not firm as others. He is on wrapped hay (not quite haylage) as he gets a bit of a cough from normal hay even if it’s not at all dusty and he doesn’t like soaked hay. He’s been wormed and is fed hifi linseed and I’ve added protexin which seems to be helping a bit. Wondering about pink powder. No other health worries. Grazing is all but gone now so am feeding ad-lib hay in field but field is sandy so I guess that could be having an effect.
Thanks for all the advice.

splash30

Visit site
My favourite supplement at the moment is 'Firm up' by Global herbs, my horse in the winter gets very sloppy/wet poos as soon as the grass goes, this has been a complete game changer.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Was the Alfa A Oil fed after the loose poo or did it coincide with the start? If removing it from the diet means no change, I'd be getting worm counts done and getting a vet to check the pony over, especially if nothing has changed.

Chianti

Visit site
If you're on sand I would get a sand count done by Westgate and then treat if needed. They offer very good advice related to your personal circumstances

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I use Science Supplements Gut Balancer and it has been life changing where poo is concerned. My horse went from horrible cowpats to proper good poo every day even if he's a bit stressed. Amazing stuff.

Mega

Visit site
Thank you for all the advice. He looks and acts well and poo improved somewhat from taking out the Alfa oil. He’s been wormed very recently. Discussed it with the vet who said it’s probably just the haylage being a little rich and as he’s no good on hay and the poo is loose and not watery to not be overly concerned. Will have a go with some of the supplements suggested above over the next few months to see if any of them help.
Vet also said that we would see evidence of sand contamination in his poo if that was the cause and that there would be other signs.

Horse20

New User
Visit site
Hi
I have 6 horses. In the last few months one of the ponies has had loose poo. They all get fed the same and turned out on adjoining paddocks and only one has loose poo.
My daughter was keen to feed Alfa a with oil so we added to their feeds, gradually of course, I’m thinking this could be causing the loose poo and have taken it out of his diet to see if it improves.
Any other ideas or comments?
Thank you.
Protexin gut balancer is really good and gives them good health all round

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I think its worth mentioning that it does take time for the supplements to kick in. My horse has the most perfect poo now but it probably took a couple of months before it was totally perfect. I know we all want immediate results but for tummy/poo issues, it takes time for the tummy to readjust with the right bacteria etc and settle down properly. I expect results there and then but am learning it takes time and to be patient!!

Smile21

Visit site
My favourite supplement at the moment is 'Firm up' by Global herbs, my horse in the winter gets very sloppy/wet poos as soon as the grass goes, this has been a complete game changer.
Hi there, I see your post was some time ago but I’m just looking into this supplement, can it be fed for long periods, like Protexin Gut Balancer (which doesn’t help our horse!) thank you

splash30

Visit site
Hi there, I see your post was some time ago but I’m just looking into this supplement, can it be fed for long periods, like Protexin Gut Balancer (which doesn’t help our horse!) thank you
This is taken from their website, I only feed when necessary.
Feed 2 x 25ml level scoops twice daily for an average 500kg horse. Maintain at this level for as long as required. FirmUp can be fed throughout the year