Ideas for safe portable homemade jumps?

Nadine_Keightley

New User
Visit site
I have been using an outside sand school that is owned by a family friend for a while, unluckily its long and narrow so hard to put more than two jumps up at a time. But we have recently got permission to ride in a field and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas about safe easily portable homemade jumps i could make so that i could make a course of some sort. Sadly we don't have much money to put towards these so if will need to be pretty cheap too. Any ideas are welcome and thanks in advance. :)

Toffee44

Visit site
Buy a few poles. ( most scats type shops sell them non painted)

Stack up tyres that way height can be adjusted. ( most garages give them away)

Kegs work ( we used to have 5 lined up taking one away each time until just one to jump- PC game)

Tree stumps

Buckets

Boxes

Chairs (but not with arms)

List is endless.

I also used to jump broom handles balanced on bucket hehe.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Easy safe portable and cheap jumps can be made with blue plastic barrels (farm suppliers sell them) and barrel jump cups (about £20 a pair from Robinsons etc, you need one pair per jump) and rustic poles from any wood yard (about £12 per pole). You can either paint your poles with left over paint or get pole rolls (about £3 each I think) to put over them. You could also buy plain planks and cut a notch out of each end leaving a sticking out bit to sit in your cups. You can make fillers out of strong plastic bags by cutting the bottom off them and sliding them over the top pole, and sliding another pole through the bottom to keep them from flapping.

Lolo

Visit site
You can make your own wings if you get handy with a drill and some concrete :D My dad made us wings when we were little with this method:

1) Got to local garage and ask for tyres. They have to pay to dispose of them so happily give them away for free!

2) Obtain 2x4 bits of wood. Height not an issue, as long as you're not after 6' high fences :D

3) Drill holes every 3 inches up the bit of wood, about 1.5 inches in from the side. These are for the cups.

4) Place a bit of tarpaulin in the tyre as a lining. Fill tyre with concrete and place wood in the centre. Find small child and bribe them to stand and hold said wood for an hour or 2 while the concrete stiffens sufficiently for the wood not to slowly keel over.

5) Obtain cups off ebay/ from the local PC or RC who will be upgrading to the new, approved style of cups and therefore will be flogging theirs.

Hey presto, cheap and durable stands. We painted them in fancy colours every so often, when the mood took us and we wanted a change!

norfolk_grump

Visit site
I'm Lolo's dad, I promise I used post-crete and she didn't have to wait for it to set.

Alternatively, buy a set of wings and use them as a template. There's not a lot of carpentry skills needed

Queenbee

Visit site
I'm Lolo's dad, I promise I used post-crete and she didn't have to wait for it to set.

Alternatively, buy a set of wings and use them as a template. There's not a lot of carpentry skills needed

Ha ha... I had visions of logo standing there for an hour ;)

I can second this method for jump wings... We had some and they last for years!

Alyth

Visit site
Plastic drain pipes are safe and very portable, you may have to invest in wings, but the plastic ones can be bought quite cheaply , they really do depend on high you want them

Plastic pipes are lethal! They shatter very easily and the broken ends slice like a razor blade.....I have seen the result and it was not nice!!

Nadine_Keightley

New User
Visit site
Thanks so much everyone! I have loads of ideas now and am looking forward to trying out the new jumps :) i cant wait until i have a little course set up that i can have loads of fun with!