Ideas for storing hay in field

sjdress

Visit site
So my horse is living out now and we are not on a yard anymore. She has a shelter and plenty of grazing in a private field. However at the moment my hay is stored under tarpaulin which is fine until it’s raining,
Windy etc and can be a real pain to keep it all covered! So any ideas how I can store my hay? I was thinking of a small garden shed but not sure how I could erect this in a field.

Polos Mum

Visit site
How much are you looking to store - a small shed would be I guess 20 -30 bales max. A local handyman will put up a shed for you for not that much in the scheme of things. If it's an exposed area wind will still be an issue! You'd have to think of planning and make the shed 'portable'
I would get small deliveries so you're storing as little as possible - maybe pay your provider for it and pay him to store it at his - if you're concerned about availability in your area.

Old tyres over the tarpaulin help weigh it down, stack on pallets - double or triple layer the tarp?

Buy wrapped hay that comes with it's own protection?

Depending on the cost of straw in your area you can put hay inside a layer of straw bales so only they get water on them. But around here straw is still £5 a small bale so that wouldn't work

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
we gave up storing hay under a tarp, we did/do have other storage so we would sell the spare and buy back in what we needed (sometimes buying back our own for storage costs lol). getting an ex back off a lorry was the best thing we did though.

sjdress

Visit site
shipping container - they are £1-2k and you'd have to have very dry hay but might work

Dont think the owners of the field would allow that. And more than I want to pay as would only be needing to store a small Amount of hay as have small deliveries

misst

Visit site
If building something is an issue how about hayledge? It is wrapped against the weather and too heavy to blow away?

HBB

Visit site
If it's small bales, then have a think about an old caravan? Strip out all the fittings inside and you'll have a tidy watertight hay store.

brightmount

Visit site
When mine were living out, I started with big round bales on pallets, with a tarp held down with bungees. But the next year I had to change to small bales which I stored in my greenhouse at home and took to the field what I needed each day.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Is your field shelter big enough to store some hay inside as well as the horse? Sheets of plywood stood on end can protect the bales from the horse.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Could you make a more permanent structure with pallets, then nail/screw the tarpaulin to it so like a mini field shelter just big enough to store x bales, perhaps as above with a straw layer

Greylegs

Visit site
How about a canvas caravan cover instead of a tarp. It's already shaped like a box, so no probs tucking in the corners to keep it secure from the wind, and they often have a zip "door" for access. You can get them in all sizes depending on how big your hay stack is.

Otherwise

Visit site
A poly tunnel works well, if you have a door put in it's much easier than undoing and redoing tarpaulin multiple times a day. I've always found hay gets wet if it's just under a tarp, a bit like if you touch the side of a tent water seeps through.