ideas/help-horse *sweating*??blood from front of pasterns after work???

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
yes, as odd as it sounds.......horse is 14yo irish xTB with no history of skin problems of any kind. he has been out of hard work for a good few years after doing the suspensories in both front legs,but has been kept hacking and light schooling.over the last month he has come back in to *proper* work, very gradually, and is now doing about 25/30mins 5 times a week at elem level (which is nothing to him, he does all the GP stuff) so he isnt working HARD hard, but hard-er than he has...........just this last week he has had a smear/streak of what looks like blood (definately bright red) on the front of each pastern (front and hind) just a couple of cm or so long, just under the very bottom edge of his bandages, after work.

there is NOTHING to see or feel, no graze, scuff, scab or hot/raised skin. doesnt appear sore, isnt weeping. there is never anything visible before work, and the bandages are always clean.

washing powder, shampoo etc are all the same, feed the same, hay same batch, same field.

he is fully clipped incl legs (same as every year we have owned him), fields have a good grass covering and zero mud.he has been in same field last 4/5 winters. horse in same field is unaffected.

3 legs are pink skin,1 is black.

its in the exact same place every day, on every leg.

he is 100% sound, is his usual cheeky cheerful happy self and the marks dont appear sore to the touch.

no itching/stamping/scratching at all.he isnt rubbing or resting any legs.

have been washing off with dilute hibiscrub and putting a blob of my other horses mud fever cream on them, which is a mix of steroids and antibiotics. its no worse day by day, but no different/better.

he doesnt wear boots in the field, but wears thermatex wraps and magnetic leg pads overnight, same as last few winters.

what the heck is this and how do i clear it up?!

Bojangles

Visit site
Anychange do you have a mineral sp? lick in his stable or field?? The red one?? I thought Beau had cut himself badly as all I could see was this red stuff on his nose,face and legs!!! It turns out he had lick that then rubbed himself it wasnt untill I smelt it!! Hope it's something simple like that and that you dont end up doing what i did major panicd!! Looking over him and going mad!!!

cptrayes

Visit site
any chance it's actually a nosebleed, dripping onto his feet? edit - Sorry, just realised you said EVERY leg, so hinds as well. I'm stumped!

outandabout

Visit site
Have you tried working him in the same way without bandages to see if it still happens? If it doesn't, then you have something that suggests an answer. In fairness, it would be surprising if it were the bandages as you have clearly been using them without problems in the past, but with something as strange as this it is probably best to start with process of elimination. Failing that, have you a tame vet you could ask?

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
How very odd! No idea either but...could it be that he has some blood-sucking parasites feasting on his fetlocks/pasterns that are too small to notice but cause micro bleeding that then shows up when pressure is applied by bandages and when he sweats? :-/

dad_io

Visit site
io gets this but on the back of his pasterns. I have learned that this is my early warning of cracked heels as if i dont treat it with sulfazole, within 48 hrs i have a swollen cripple who needs antibiotics.