Ideas on how to find a bombproof plod in Cornwall

Bertie_Boo

Visit site
I know these types of horses are a) often never sold like my retired boy or b) sold by word of mouth. I have asked my trimmer, instructor and vet to ask around. I have contacted local riding schools with no joy. My local tack shop has closed down so I can't put a wanted ad up. I was thinking about approaching riding clubs but their horses will probably be far too talented for me. Am I overlooking something obvious? All ideas, gratefully received, thank you.

sunshine100*

Visit site
Hi have you tried local horse sanctuaries (redwings comes to mind) or RSPCA who also rehome? what happened to your mare really sad she could not settle--had that myself....

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
I know of a cob for sale in the Cornwall area seems to be a decent allrounder from what I can see on FB. What are you looking for?

QuantockHills

Visit site
What are you looking for..... I wont ever sell my boy but I have been thinking of looking for a happy hacking home for him.... 15.3 hh approx, maybe a bit bigger, 13 years old and up to weight. An absolute saint in every way. Looked after me through 2 hip replacements...... I'm in Somerset....

Last edited:

Bertie_Boo

Visit site
Hi guys, I'm looking for a bombproof as possible, spook proof gelding which will happily plod about the narrow country lanes on its own and be excellent in traffic, particularly around tractors and mad tourists as they fly past! Ideally over 10 years of age, not too big and OK to be ridden by a novice. I'm a woman of a certain age and I don't bounce any more. I came off on Sunday for the first time in 12 years when new mare wouldn't go past a tractor and climbed up a hedge and it was scary. She is currently up for sale as she definitely needs a confident rider. I'm an experienced owner (15 years) but can't always control my nerves when riding and I need a horse which will just get on with things and ignore me if I wibble! My retired boy was brilliant, it's just a shame he can't be ridden any more.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I do feel for you as I know how difficult they are to find. I wish you the best of luck with your search but just take it slowly. Keep an eye on websites such as Horse Mart Horse Quest and Horse and Hounds as well as local Facebook Pages (Horses for Sale) as they sometimes come up.

Princess16

Visit site
Hi guys, I'm looking for a bombproof as possible, spook proof gelding which will happily plod about the narrow country lanes on its own and be excellent in traffic, particularly around tractors and mad tourists as they fly past! Ideally over 10 years of age, not too big and OK to be ridden by a novice. I'm a woman of a certain age and I don't bounce any more. I came off on Sunday for the first time in 12 years when new mare wouldn't go past a tractor and climbed up a hedge and it was scary. She is currently up for sale as she definitely needs a confident rider. I'm an experienced owner (15 years) but can't always control my nerves when riding and I need a horse which will just get on with things and ignore me if I wibble! My retired boy was brilliant, it's just a shame he can't be ridden any more.

Are we twins ? That is exactly the kind of post I would put !

Hope you find what you are looking for - would imagine they are few and far between !

iaej

Visit site
What are you looking for..... I wont ever sell my boy but I have been thinking of looking for a happy hacking home for him.... 15.3 hh approx, maybe a bit bigger, 13 years old and up to weight. An absolute saint in every way. Looked after me through 2 hip replacements...... I'm in Somerset....

Sorry, to hijack the thread but roughly whereabouts in Somerset are you based and would you consider a sharer?

Sukistokes2

Visit site
As someone who has just found a total dude all I can say is, not to rule anything out. I went to see one, who was on paper everything I needed and to be honest was an over priced, not as described, no-no. I didn't even feel happy walking him around for fear of him tripping up. I do believe the rider blanched when I asked to see canter on both reins and seeing the horse was up for £4000 I thought it was a reasonable request. I tried to book to see a lovely Clydesdale and they really mucked me about and I was a bit fed up and so my friend put me in touch with a dealer. I had been reluctant to use a dealer but this one had a good reputation so I went to see him and he showed me Kevin. Now Kevin was too big but as soon as I sat on him it felt right, I walked, trotted and cantered on my first go and then even went up the road. Now i don't think you should buy a horse you can't walk , trot and canter and that was my bench mark. However I also think that a horse that doesn't spook is something that does not exist, EVERY horse spooks, its just some spook a lot less and when they do something about them, allows you to handle it. Thats how its like with Kevin, he does spook but they are so minimal i really do not worry about them and I push them on.
So my advice is
Don't write off visiting a reputable dealer and don't write off types of horses or sizes that you think will not suit.......On paper at 17hh Kevin is miles too big for me but it simply does not matter, he is a dude!

Whizza

Visit site
I'd have to agree with the above post^^^^
In my head I wanted a. 14hh Ish cob type that was sane and sound. I ended up with a 16.1 Swedish warmblood who couldnt be more perfect for me. I've only had her 5 weeks and we have had ages settling in troubles and she's petrified of cows! When we found out she was so scared of cows, with any other horse that was spinning and walking backwards and spooking I would have got off, but with her, I knew she wasn't going to tank off with me or rear or whatever and so i felt I could stay on and we eventually safely went the other way.
Her previous owner said to me that eventually she won't seem quite so big... I'm still waiting for that! She is massive lol but I feel we are finally getting somewhere. I never in a million years imagined that I would have a warmblood! Love her to bits :)

MDB

Visit site
As someone who has just found a total dude all I can say is, not to rule anything out. I went to see one, who was on paper everything I needed and to be honest was an over priced, not as described, no-no. I didn't even feel happy walking him around for fear of him tripping up. I do believe the rider blanched when I asked to see canter on both reins and seeing the horse was up for £4000 I thought it was a reasonable request. I tried to book to see a lovely Clydesdale and they really mucked me about and I was a bit fed up and so my friend put me in touch with a dealer. I had been reluctant to use a dealer but this one had a good reputation so I went to see him and he showed me Kevin. Now Kevin was too big but as soon as I sat on him it felt right, I walked, trotted and cantered on my first go and then even went up the road. Now i don't think you should buy a horse you can't walk , trot and canter and that was my bench mark. However I also think that a horse that doesn't spook is something that does not exist, EVERY horse spooks, its just some spook a lot less and when they do something about them, allows you to handle it. Thats how its like with Kevin, he does spook but they are so minimal i really do not worry about them and I push them on.
So my advice is
Don't write off visiting a reputable dealer and don't write off types of horses or sizes that you think will not suit.......On paper at 17hh Kevin is miles too big for me but it simply does not matter, he is a dude!

Just want to say that Kevin is a great name for a big bombproof horse! Reminds me of someone saying "ok, Dave and I are off down the pub". Dave was a dog. ;) ;)