Ideas on how to stop your hair/ clothes smelling like a stable?

lynseylou1

Visit site
I keep my horse quite far from my home but near where I work so I often dont have chance to pop back for a shower before going in. Any ideas on how to stop my hair smelling of horse wee and stable! I wear a hat and cover my head and change my clothes but does anybody have any tips or suggestions of dry shampoos / odour sprays. Also I have been told about a powder you can put onto rubber mats that can help?
Look forward to hearing ideas!

custard

Visit site
I have the same problem, horses near home but work odd hours so no time to change/shower before I go in. Wear a hat or cap so you don't push your hair out of your eyes and keep some body spray and Febreze in the car, clothes that are quick to wash and dry are a good idea too.

Oberon

Visit site
First of all - why would you want to? We smell ACE and anyone says different don't know what they're talking about;)

What bedding are you on? Straw made me pong but moving onto other bedding helped.

Maybe buy an overall and a hat.

Oberon

Visit site
They sell dry shampoo in Tescos and Superdrug.

You could also put Bounce tumble dry sheets in the bag with your work clothes during transit.

lynseylou1

Visit site
thanks guys some good suggestions there! Im on rubber matting with a shredded paper bed. Think my main problem could be that as the stable was so big, i couldnt afford to completely mat it straight off. I have 6 mats down but the arent to the wall so they do move very slightly a cm or 2 at times. The wee then goes in between.. think that why its smells worse at times. Some good suggestions tho thanks all x

AMW

Visit site
I use a boiler suit and wellies, and fine gloves to stop my hands getting disgusting.
My discerning colleagues have never complained yet and believe me they would.

There are some types of bedding smellier than others, straw imo is very smelly to muck out. I use wood pellets so scoop and go

Tnavas

Visit site
Buy a bag of garden lime and sprinkle on the floor under the mats, lime breaks down the urine and stops it smelling.

Drive with the window open so the fresh air blows through your hair. Baby wipes for cleaning hands and face. Wear overals and gumboots and rubber gloves - a wet suit might be good too but may be difficult to get in and out of in a hurry.

Supply fellow workers with clothes pegs or go on about the smell of dogs/cats/hamsters and rabbits in the office. :D

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Definitely wear a hat, but wash it regularly as it will absorb the smells and eventually pass through to your hair. I use a dry shampoo called Batiste (Diva or Blush are my favourite smells!) that you can get in Tesco, Boots etc.

Or join a gym nearby just to use the showers :p

wellsat

Visit site
Try deep littering your bedding. If you don't get anywhere near the wee you don't smell of it. I'm a complete convert.

Cloud9

Visit site
Definitely wear a hat, but wash it regularly as it will absorb the smells and eventually pass through to your hair. I use a dry shampoo called Batiste (Diva or Blush are my favourite smells!) that you can get in Tesco, Boots etc.

Or join a gym nearby just to use the showers :p

Try deep littering your bedding. If you don't get anywhere near the wee you don't smell of it. I'm a complete convert.

I 2nd the Batiste shampoo.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Make sure when you're wearing a hat that all your hair is inside it - hair retains the smell a lot! I try to minimise horsy contact before work/Uni - literally chuck rug on, headcollar on and chuck into field. Another culprit for me is that hands - I have to wash them twice before I'm convinced they don't smell horsy anymore (handcream if you want to go all out). Then I'd keep a bottle of perfume in the car and give myself a spritz once clean (I find horse smell preferable to body sprays).