Ideas on surface for playpen type area ?

becca1305

Visit site
A couple of years ago when we had our manege built we had a playpen type structure put in behind the back of part of the stables and accessed through one stable which has a rear door. It was put in for my cushings retiree who has to spend quite a bit of time off the grass, so that he can still see his mates in the field and have a bit of extra space to roam around in. Its been a godsend and has improved his quality of life no end, but after 2 1/2 years its very battered already.

Here is a picture of it soon after installation:

61828_470554905465_514685465_6621921_367345_n.jpg

Now however the rubber (extra left over from manege) has all gone, and the sand has been compressed badly and is very firm with dips and troughs everywhere. He has also gone down through the liner in a couple of places. Unfortunately due to the size (approx 10m x 5m) we can't get the quad in there to grade it and we have kept using the rake on it but with little effect.

To conclude, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a different kind of surface to try on it? It has to be suitable for a horse to lie down on and comfy for laminitic feet/ horses on box rest with injuries. I am loathe to use sand again because it hasn't worked very well this time, and I am concerned that other horses using the playpen area in the future may try to dig in it! so I was looking for other ideas first. So far all I have decided for definite is if a solid surface isnt used then I will definitely concrete a rectangular area under where his hay net goes and then drill a rubber mat on to the top to both help stop the massive dip which is created by him standing there a lot, and to make it easier to clean up dropped hay. My only idea so far for the whole area is to concrete and then liquid rubber mat leaving a drain in the centre for water, but I would imagine this would be expensive. Has anyone done anything similar before?/any recommendations on surface please? :).

Abacus

Visit site
How about adding some rubber powder rather than lumps? I believe it can be used to add gradually to a field to make an all-weather schooling area - it might last longer than the rubber pieces (where are they going to?!).

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
concrete a rectangular area under where his hay net goes and then drill a rubber mat on to the top to both help stop the massive dip which is created by him standing there a lot, and to make it easier to clean up dropped hay

^ this is a very good idea.

Diddleydoo

Visit site
What about the barefoot favourite of 10ml pea gravel?

Apparently they love lying, rolling and walking on it.

the horses, not the barefooters ;-)

Last edited:

becca1305

Visit site
thankyou everyone for replies :)

Abacus - rubber crumb pieces have either been poopicked away, got kicked into his stable and cleaned up, or kicked out into his field (he has a little gate into his restricted paddock). Still amazing how quick its vanished. Will look into rubber powder if I cant find a suitable solid surface, thanks :)

Diddleydoo - must admit I would have never thought of pea gravel! Defo worth consideration if they like standing and lying on it (never would have guessed!) more research methinks! I think in many ways it could be an improvement on sand, only concern would be finding away to prevent it getting kicked into stable/ out into field. thanks :)

becca1305

Visit site
*bump* any other ideas? :eek:. At the moment its looking like sand is the only viable option again :(. I have looked at liquid rubber but :eek: its very expensive! matting is also pretty horrific cost to cover the area (about the equiv size of 2 large -16ftx16ft - stables).