Ideas on what breed?

Leo Walker

Visit site
HW cob x welsh D is very common. A lot of the gypsy cobs I see have a big dollop of welshie in there! And with him being buckskin its possible that they used an exotic cremello welshie to add some colour? How does he move?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Photos are deceptive. My 14hh HW cob with nearly 11" of bone looks not much bigger than him in photos, and I have yet to see a connie, welshie or for that matter a highland as solid as him in real life. Hes an absolute tanl of a horse. I know the horse in the OP is a bit chubby but I still find it hard to believe that hes a connie cross or even a welshie cross unless one parent was a HW cob :)

Greylegs

Visit site
If it weren't for the white socks and snip he's the spitting image of my my boy who's a pedigree yellow dun highland. Although breeders try to eliminate white markings as they are outside the breed standard, some highlands do have white bits and his conformation is very typical I'd say. You mention his very thick winter coat and dorsal stripe, also typical of a highland. He's gorgeous though, whatever he is.

gadetra

Visit site
I see a good dose of welsh and cob. Definitely no Connie, Connie's are not chunky, especially not anymore! I think he looks very Welsh x who knows!
I know nothing about Highlands so I can't comment on that similarity, but I have met a lot of Connies and I don't see any in him.

Nice lad though :biggrin3:

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I wouldn't say Connemara at all - my horse (see this thread: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...te-engines-are-engaged!-(Pictures-and-videos)) is half Connemara (Abbeyleix Owen lines) and I can't see any similarity. Not sure I see any Highland either - JFTD or Dry Rot would be good people to comment on that though. More Welsh D than anything else to me, but hard to tell really because he is carrying quite a lot of weight.

theraven

Visit site
Thank you all, this is the circle we all keep going around in!

Do any of you know how much I would be looking at to DNA him? After 11 years it's driving me mad haha!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I see the welsh, but I also think he is too heavy set to be a welsh, as even carrying a lot of weight (when purchased) Frank still looked welsh (as do lots of other shows welshies ;) ). So I do think there is something thicker set in there as well (I don't necessarily mean more bone with that just a different shape), whether that is native or cob I think it's hard to tell.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I see no highland, or connie (even traditional type). The standard conformation and typical features don't look to be present at all. Possibly welsh, possibly something HW cob-like. It isn't easy to tell with all the weight he is carrying. Focussing on that may be more useful than worrying about his parentage which will make little appreciable difference to his life or anything you can do with him.

Also, he's not dun!

theraven

Visit site
I see no highland, or connie (even traditional type). The standard conformation and typical features don't look to be present at all. Possibly welsh, possibly something HW cob-like. It isn't easy to tell with all the weight he is carrying. Focussing on that may be more useful than worrying about his parentage which will make little appreciable difference to his life or anything you can do with him.

Also, he's not dun!

Woah calm down! Each of these pictures is taken at a different time of the year, and as it stands not he is not at all overweight. Please do not judge people on a forum.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Woah calm down! Each of these pictures is taken at a different time of the year, and as it stands not he is not at all overweight. Please do not judge people on a forum.

As it stands in those pictures he is indeed fat. You put pictures up asking for people's judgement. You got it:)

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
He is really, really lovely- what a sweet little face! I'd say Welsh D X Connie/Highland. Agree with the others regarding his weight, however if you, his owner, don't think that he's overweight then I doubt strangers on a forum would be able to change your opinion...what do you do with him? :)