Ideas please for home made shade for field

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
We have a lovely big field but it’s got bugger all shade apart from first thing in the morning. I am looking at making a shelter. Rain protection isn’t too much of a concern (as she’s tough as nails and to be honest if it’s that bad I can pop a rug on) so just needs to be shady so was thinking four posts (postcreted in) with some sort of fabric on top and down the back side possibly. Just so it’s not super expensive but also in the event of a summer storm I can just whip the fabric off to allow the wind through it in order to prevent damage.

Has anyone done similar or have ideas where to get the correct fabric for this? Thank you in advance

SEH

Visit site
A large good quality waterproof tarp (We got ours from Screw fix) properly anchored to the posts and the ground will work fine. We have livestock that we sometimes have to pen up and we use Temporary Harris/Heras fencing with feet and connecters, with a large tarp tied to it and a gap at the bottom for a breeze for them. The are prone to falling if not properly put up or super windy so we use wooden posts as a safety feature to stop ours from falling in the horse paddocks, I.e one on either side and one at each end. This is important especially for horses!!! Or you could put them along the side of the fence and tie them to the fence posts to anchor them even more and then the fence provides support (Although the one we did this with ended up being electrified which was amusing when we tried to move it!). Works brilliantly as the are quite tall and you can make a proper shelter/shade for them even with just 1 or 2 (or Tarp over the top with 3 sides for a full shelter) with headroom for the big ones and a small gap at the bottom for a breeze. You can get this kind of fencing cheap second hand too, but you need the feet and connectors too.

sunnyone

Visit site
If you are going to be taking down any soft material in wind, keep the size down. Large tarpaulins will be totally unmanageable without ropes and pulleys attached. They just become sails and want to fly away, which will of course, spook the horses.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Old straw bales - the really massive square ones - piled 2 high in an L shape, so 4 in total with some kind of mesh or netting secured on top?

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
Thanks everyone, a lot to think about. I did initially think about buying some trees, but we rent the yard and the landlord has designs on building a massive housing estate in the next ten years or so.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
https://premierbarriers.co.uk/catal....html?osCsid=0aaf34dd455a4a57ae67813ffc5b9134

I have used the green version of this round my barn. It has been remarkably resilient and 100% more successful than the previous stuff we tried. We have had some severe winds since we put it up in March but it has coped with it all. Just needs to be securely anchored. Has made a huge difference to our barn both in keeping the wind out and the sun.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
If you concrete the posts in would you need planning permission?

No idea, but personally I wouldn't. My mum had a new garden fence put up and the wooden posts were concreted in. They soon rotted off at the base and the lump of concrete made it very difficult to replace them. Concrete godfathers concreted in and wooden posts bolted to them is what she should have had.