Ideas please...pita hoss!!

mattilda

Visit site
So 17hh id/tb x. Lovely lad but likes nothing better than to barge out of his stable on occasion. So mithered hubs to put up a breast bar so I am not continually having to shut stable door when I go in and out.
Yesterday hubs spent several hours drilling through very thick wall and putting attachments up. This morning I opened door and clipped breast nar in place. It must have lasted all of 10 minutes before I heard him clip clopping out of his stable and onto the lawn!! He has walked straight through it and bent the clip part almost straight.
Question..can you get super strong breast bars or might mine have been a dodgy weak one?

Sorry turned into a long one rhubarb and custard sweets on offer.

Herts05

Visit site
Plank of wood held in place with two metal "guards" on the inside of the stable. You slide the wood in/out from the inside of the stable. Horse would need to take a good run up to break a piece of two by four.
(as used by the stud where my two year old is)

SuperCoblet

Visit site
Can you not teach him some manners? :confused:
Mine used to barge out of stables. Take a whip in with you and wave it at him to move back, if he steps forwards wave your arms about with the whip and walk into him. When he moves back praise him. One step towards door direction send him back again, it will take some persistence but it should work. Praise is the key though.
It's not fair on you to be walked all over and a bar won't fix it, just hide it, he needs to learn your boss and he bloody well stays in that stable!

:)

Paris1

Visit site
So he barges as you open ie close the four, it comes out if you leave it open?
I just close my stable door, or tie the horse up.

mattilda

Visit site
Thanks for you replies guys. We are working on the manners and he moves back quite nicely now when I go in. The problem I have is he will walk out if I am mucking out, tying up his net, adjusting rugs etc. It's a pain having to close a stiff door every time. Also if he's in and it's warm it's much nicer for him to have an open door and more air circulating.
Poor hubs...am going to have to ask him to put a bar up now!! For now I guess I'll just have to tie him up. :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Amazing comments, don't put up with such bad, not to mention dangerous, manners.

The only breast bar I would use would the one I would thump the bad mannered thug with - hard ! when it walked out of the door without being asked, and then when I put it back in the box it would get another thump. No doubt I will get negative responses to my comment, but no horse should be allowed to barge over the top of you.

It's not difficult to teach a horse to step back or over, it's the most basic of manners that a horse will need all it's life. My 10 month old foal steps back when I open the door, and no she has not ever been hit, she was taught from the moment she was weaned, to gently step back when asked and to step sideways moving her shoulders and quarters when asked. This training will set her up for life. My adult horses all step back as their doors are opened, without being asked, they are then expected to stand still whilst being mucked out and move over as I move around them with the skip.

I just hope none of your horses come crashing out of their boxes when a child is in the way.

flirtygerty

Visit site
Our lad is an escape artist, we used a wooden breast bar and he wiggled it open, no one saw it, so don't know how, but we had to put a chock on the end
to stop it moving until we moved it.
But also agree with teaching him manners, they soon learn, ours wait till asked to, to approach their feed buckets/haynets, pure perserverance.
good luck, he sounds like a character

Flame_

Visit site
http://www.theponytackshop.co.uk/fo...bing_stable_door_guard_adjustable_stall_guard

My pony kept popping the quick release catch on his chain against the wall leaning on it reaching for haylage on the floor outside the box (he's only allowed hay). It was a matter of time before he nose dived onto the concrete in front of the stable. Robinsons version of this thing seems to have been the answer but their website's playing up. :)