Ideas - Pony Studding himself in elbows?

Hattikins

Visit site
I just wondered if anyone had any smart ideas as to how to prevent Jack studding himself on his elbows when he jumps (particularly XC). He wears tiny domed studs on the outside of each front foot so they are not at all pointy. There is no point having a stud girth as that sits in the wrong place. I wondered whether a long sheepskin girth cover might sit behind his elbows and protect him at bit, otherwise I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to stop him nicking himself?

Any thoughts much appreciated! :D

aregona

Visit site
i had the same problem with my old mare and i had a lengthy disscusion with the farrier and a load of photos of her jumping and he basically said dont use studs, he said with a horse that tucks up that tight there is not a lot you can do.

sorry, but good luck

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I only ever use road studs (pointy ones) in front, I put two in each shoe but thats my preference. My dad is a farrier and we have always done that with all our horses.

As a previous HHO has said - I have seen my dad put stud holes further towards the middle from the heel (about where the last nail hole is near the heel of the shoe), this might help your horse?

Otherwise, you could ask the farrier what he thinks, as everyone says - some horses don't need studs.

when I was a kid, we had a 14.2 pony called Daytime who did BSJA. She was a great schoolmaster round Christy beaufort tracks. anyway she had something with one of her legs that made her kick herself in her elbow everytime you jumped a fence (only one leg). She had done it so many times before we got her, she had cuts down to the bone. My dad created a thing which became nicknamed the 'gadget'! It was a piece of padding with leather on oneside that had a long bit that clipped onto the martingale and three buckles that looped round the girth. it never interfered with her jump and you could hear her hit it when she took off but it worked!

I don't think you need to invent a double gadget for your horse but your farrier may be able to help you with a solution.

Good luck

Spinal Tap

Visit site
Interesting! My mare really flips her front feet up into her elbows, she is barefoot & I have always dreaded shoeing her in front because of this. I have considered shoeing her so she can wear studs because she sometimes slips behind on wet grass. Maybe my madcap idea of only shoeing her behind so I can put studs in is not so bonkers after all :eek:

Hattikins

Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions, J's rounded studs are the same size if not even smaller than conventional road studs so I expect he'd do more damage to himself with those in instead. But you may be right about him not needing front studs, so we will have a bit of a play and see! :)

pearcider

Visit site
One of mine used to do this. Id put a stud girth on any way. I used to put event grease on her elbows and that seemed to help and flat studs.