Identifying plant, poisonous?

robthecob

Visit site
I'm probably worrying my self over nothing but I noticed a new plant in our file today. We still have loads of grass left from summer but its all tall and fairly limp now and amongst it I noticed a plant that looked a bit like cow parsley but almost light purple / white in colour . The horses were eating amongst it but not actually eating it.

Any idea what it is? A quick google search and hemlock came up :eek: but I'm not convinced the leaves are the same. Stupidly I didn't take a picture. We are on a livery yard and have no ragwort, but I'm relying on other people having better knowledge than me.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Probably hogweed if its big and dying off ATM. Hemlock is generally pretty huge, and has purple spots on the stems, google hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium) not giant hogweed and see if its the same. If its giant hogweed, although I'd think you'd know if it was, if it touches the skin it makes it v photosensitive :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
What does the stem of the plant look like? Is it hollow and does it have red-wine coloured spots on it??

If so.......... remember/mark where you found it and don't let horses have access to it. Wear rubber gloves when you deal with it - if you've answered "yes" to these two questions; it will be Hemlock which is deadly poisonous. The red-wine colouring on the stem is quite distinctive and easily visible. Unfortunately there's a lot of the blimmin stuff around this year.

Have you got a photo?

robthecob

Visit site
I didn't take a picture (stupidly) I did pick some to bring home though and forgot that :( I dont remember it having spots on it though. And the storks were hard, I know from pulling it out. They are fairly tall not bush like but single roots stood up and the flowers were almost white but with a little purple. I will check it out properly before i turn back out tomorrow. Just hope no one has done any damage tonight. I've never noticed it before

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Leaves for hemlock are distinctively different from hogweed, hogweed is fat and chunky, whereas hemlock looks more like cow parsley, except it tends to be huge.

m3gan

Visit site
Probably hogweed if its big and dying off ATM. Hemlock is generally pretty huge, and has purple spots on the stems, google hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium) not giant hogweed and see if its the same. If its giant hogweed, although I'd think you'd know if it was, if it touches the skin it makes it v photosensitive :)

My boy ate giant cow parsley and had horrendous burns to his mouth and nose, so badly that his nostrils nearly closed with pus etc. he could only eat long grass and was in a very bad way his white socks were also covered in burns and scabs. He was virtually unable to walk or eat to begin with. He was on bute and then developed cellutitus in his legs and had to have antibiotics . Thankfully now after 12 weeks we are riding again, still some scabs to come off but he is fine otherwise. His field companion is still out of work and will probably be another 3/4 weeks until he is fully recovered.
The vet had never seen this reaction to giant cow parsley before.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
M3gan - it's giant hogweed, cow parsley (anthriscus sylvestris so we all know we're talking about the same plant!) is safe and yummy for horses :)

m3gan

Visit site
M3gan - it's giant hogweed, cow parsley (anthriscus sylvestris so we all know we're talking about the same plant!) is safe and yummy for horses :)

Actually the cow parsley muted into giant hogweed I guess due to the weather conditions, the field in which the horses were in has been grazed without problems for 30 years!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Actually the cow parsley muted into giant hogweed I guess due to the weather conditions, the field in which the horses were in has been grazed without problems for 30 years!

?? Muted?! I don't understand! Bad that you have it, but at least it's easy to spot :)

m3gan

Visit site
Ah, yes! Don't think that's actually possible given they're completely different,be like us mutating into an elephant lol :)

Well my vet and land owner, who owns the other poor horse who still has yet to recover still perceive the plant to be giant cow parsley? !1

m3gan

Visit site
Just to add it is exactly the same plant that ned likes to eat out of hedgerows normally, but this year it is highly toxic to horses with pink or white noses or white socks.

Jewkes

Visit site
I am actually currently busy mutating in to an elephant so it is possible.

(new office aka 'sat on my arsè' job)

<expands>

Last edited:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Just to add it is exactly the same plant that ned likes to eat out of hedgerows normally, but this year it is highly toxic to horses with pink or white noses or white socks.

Trust me, it is not exactly the same plant :). Vet need to get themselves a good plant book, can recommend Francis Rose :)