Identity Marking HELP!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Wondering about my new horse and about, mirco chipping, mirco marking, freeze mark?

I cant decided!

Hes a valuable horse, so a slighly mark could be worth it?

A mirco chip seems to be the modern way forward and almost compulsory.

Then theres where to mark!! back or shoulder?

Has any body had a grey marked before? I'm alittle worried about this too?!

Or any body had touble at shows with the marking etc?

Any ideas, experience? I would be grateful!

helenevans71

Visit site
14 Horse and donkeys have been stolen in the Thames Valley over the last few days, only one is microchipped, none of them have been seen since. A pony stolen from Southampton was recovered a few days later because it was FREEZE BRANDED - does that tell anyone anything?

Freeze branding is a permanent, visible deterrent, it is the only thing that really works!

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Murphy is Micro Chipped and Freezemarked but with the Micromark (which basically tells people he is microchipped) To be honest because of his colouring it doesn't show up that well and if I did it again I'd go for a full freezemark. Its on his back.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
freemark in my world means freezemark
tongue.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
If your going to freeze mark, put it on the shoulder, not only is it visible 75% of the time i.e. when riding, but it will be a quicker recovery time too!
I was thinking of having this addition to my baby too, she is also grey does it show up?

Happytohack

Visit site
If you have a grey freezemarked, it is basically a bald mark - the irons have to held on longer. They won't do it on the saddle patch as it could be sensitive, usually it is done on the shoulder. On my grey, I have to keep the marked clipped otherwise it wouldn't be visible. 3 of mine are microchipped and I am thinking of having my new one microchipped and then micromarked (freezemarked to show she is chipped). Sadly, I have been to sales and have never seen any horse/pony scanned for microchips and have known several people buy freezemarked horses without the corresponding paperwork.

airedale

Visit site
Microchipping - it's going to be compulsory soon anyway
I wouldn't want a horse of mine marked on the shoulder - think it looks awful and for a grey to be marked as stated - it's holding the brand on for longer - which means no riding if it's on the saddle area

I fail to understand this 'visibility' bit as now even in summer most horses have some sort of rug on over the freezemarks so a sign stating horses are freezemarked or chipped is probably MORE visible than the mark on the horses themselves

I have a visible sign but microchipped horses.

watcherathome

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Freezemarking is the way to go.

Better to have a horse standing in your field with a 'blemish' than an empty field, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and if you are worried about rugs covering the freezemark in winter - stencil the freezemark onto the rugs too, and put up signs saying that all horses and other property is marked and identifiable

OWLIE185

Visit site
Freezemarking on the horses shoulder may look unsightly to some but it will almost guarantee that you will recover your horse. Micro-chipping is fine as a secondry marking but there are too many systems to rely on it to be found by a scanner as different scanners work with different micro-chips.

If you don't freezemark then if your horse is stolen the chances of recovering it are dramatically reduced.

Take a look at the 'Horsewatch' Web Site and you will see that there are hundreds of horses that have never been recovered. Wht? .. because they where not freezemarked.