idiot guide to doing dressage???

BBD

Visit site
i will be taking on my first dressage in two weeks. can someone please tell me what, from the very basics i have to do please? What is the process from turning up?
do i speak to someone? pay? Sorry to act so silly but despite going to many dressage to watch I never get a real idea of what people are doing!

robynandTilly

Visit site
It normally depends on the venue, normally you have to pre-enter therefore no need to worry about paying. At my local venue we dont recieve numbers etc i just anounce myself to the person on the gate of the arena and ask how many is in before me so i can plan my warmup. I then tack up etc begin my warm up i normally allow 30 mins to warm up im only really competing prelim at the moment though so depending on what level you are you may need longer etc. Then the steward normally informs me when the rider before me enters the arena so i can make sure im prepared. Go in do the test come out i normally have another class so dependant on where i am in the first class will depend on if i carry on preparing for the second class or untack for a while. Results generally come out in the middle of the next class at our venue and are posted in the cafe but obviously that varies from place to place. Just ask people most people are friendly and will point you in the right direction and good luck :)

Frankie10

Visit site
There is a great book called 'the successful dressage competitor' by Debbie lush. It covers everything you need to know! X

HardySoul1

Visit site
I only know about unaffiliated but... You enter in advance and usually get start time by phone or website few days before. Most places don't use back numbers. Turn up, warm up etc, might get tack checked. As soon as previous horse has left arena at A you can start riding round arena. IF the arena has enough space to get all the way round outside of boards you use this space until start signal - usually a bell or car horn. Enter at A and ride test. IF arena has insufficient space round it eg a 40m x 20m1 indoor school, you are allowed to ride inside until start signal. Then ride down to K or F and turn onto centre line at A to start.
Hope this helps a bit! Get there with spare time, watch others, ask organisers questions if unsure, remember to remove exercise boots and tail bandages. Have fun and smile! Test sheets usually available at end of class, sometimes scores displayed every few riders.

Hedwards

Visit site
Think most things have been covered, just one thing to remember once you start your test and are heading down the centre line towards the judge, give them a beaming smile, and do this when you come down your final centre line to finish!

Good luck & enjoy yourself!