If a horse is for sale, does it magically become 15.2hh?

chaps89

Visit site
Nope, most people can’t measure. Current ride was either a 15.2 or 15hh when I first spoke to her owner. My feeling was 14.2, maybe 14.3 on her tippy toes. Measured recently at 14.2 and a half. Doesn’t bother me as she’s a nice size for me :)
Strangest height related situation I’ve had was when a previous livery came into my old mares stable with a measuring stick - put it on her and ‘hmphed’ - she was smaller than she thought she would be. Not sure really what it was to her but I’d always thought she was about 14.1 and she was bang on so good to know!

Caol Ila

Visit site
When I was horse shopping, I looked at a 4 year old Highland mare who I was told was 14hh. Maybe she was, but she looked so tiny and petite that I could not visualise myself sitting on her. And I'm only 5'4 and 8stone. The horse was unbroke, so I couldn't actually sit on her. I know a 4 year old will grow and fill out, but I wasn't sure if she would fill out enough.

I've measured Foinavon at 14hh. From the moment I first saw him, I thought, "Yeah, I could ride that all day, no bother."

Goldenstar

Visit site
Peoples ideas on what height horses are is bizarre - completely skewed.
That said, peoples fixation on height I also don't get - it really isn't about what the stick says at the wither that makes one horse more suitable than another.

Saddle width is a far better indicator of if a horse is the right size for me than height people are always surprised when I ask the question .

Cowpony

Visit site
I use myself as a rough guide when looking at horses which are 14h to 15.2ish. I'm 5ft tall, so if their withers are lower than the top of my head they aren't 15h. And if my eyes are level with their withers they must be around 14.1. My mare's passport says "To make 15.2" and lots of people think she is, but I always say she's 14.2 based on my measuring system :p. She's well sprung and bum high, so she looks bigger than she is. I've often wanted to check, but measuring sticks are very expensive when all you want to do is satisfy your curiosity!

My system doesn't work for anything bigger or smaller though.......

marmalade76

Visit site
That said, peoples fixation on height I also don't get - it really isn't about what the stick says at the wither that makes one horse more suitable than another.

Hieght matters quite a lot to me because I'm only 5'. As the majority over-estimate, it's not really a problem when I'm looking for a horse, it is, however, when looking for a pony - 14.1/14.2 is a fine size for me but a couple of 14.1s I've looked at in the past were more like 13.2/13.3 and too small.

chaps89

Visit site
It could be worse...went to see a 15.1hh cob gelding.....got there it was a 16.2 chestnut mare......
The mind boggles ?

OP - I might be wrong but I didn’t think the old fashioned type iberians came that big? (Taking aside mid-measuring) my other share horse would be somewhere around 15.1 I’d say and he’s 3/4 Lusitano 1/4 quarter horse so a bit chunkier, and he seems to be average sized when we go to the breed shows?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Could you still be tempted by Hermosa's wee sister? She is still for sale, to my knowledge. Rising 3. Hermosa is probably standing at 15 or just under right now. I don't imagine she will get much taller than 15.2.

I’ll have another look - thanks for reminding me!

I think that’s true unless you’ve already got a very set type in mind. I’m not looking for any horse, I’m looking specifically at baroque, chunkier European horses which have a certain way of going. I can tell quite quickly from photos and videos if the horse itself is not going to be suitable. I’m very familiar with how the type I am looking for rides and feels, how they take up my leg etc. I’m not starting from a blank piece of paper and then adding height as a criteria, if you know what I mean.

It could be worse...went to see a 15.1hh cob gelding.....got there it was a 16.2 chestnut mare......

That’s amazing! ?

When you make enquiries, I would ask if they have actually measured the horse and make it clear that the height is important to you, I have to say I do find it odd that people don't advertise the height correctly as surely they don't want to waste their own time even if they don't care about anyone else?

I have asked, and I tell them that the only reason I am shopping at all is for a bigger horse than my 15hh mare and I really want something that will be a very minimum 15.2hh. Still have strange encounters with 15hh horses!

Gosh, lucky you managing to find a 15.1 Spanish horse, especially in the UK. The very best kind of baroque type horses are rarely over 15.2 and it's getting really difficult to find them as the fashion now is for giant, modern sportshorse type.

Most people haven't a clue what height their horse is, don't have a stick, and if they do don't know how to measure.

I know - hen’s teeth. The larger they get, the less I like the type so it’s been an interesting shopping trip. I have seen four who are exactly right. Two not for sale, one stallion and one hideously expensive.

The 15.1hh mare is exceptionally nice. She moves beautifully too and she’s a chunky, solid horse. Bred in Spain. I really like her and I want to make an offer - unfortunately they will only sell her with her recently weaned foal so then I have youngstock livery, separate transport (and they are miles away) and a foal which is adorable but not what I’d choose to buy. And of course it’s not cheap to buy them both.

PurBee

Visit site
I wanted my 75% arab/welshD foal to finish at max 15hh….dam 50/50arab/welshd 14.2, sire fullarab 15.1…..he’s hit 15.3 and probably juuuust about got to 16h now if standing erect/alert.

I measured him just because he kept getting bigger and bigger and way surpassed his 14.2 dam…im 5’7” and his withers hit my forehead….I just had to measure because grooming his back was getting quite arduous and arm achy, and i kinda had to tip-toe.
It wasnt a growth spurt either…very slow growing from birth all the way through to 7. I kept wondering when will he stop growing! So do allow more potential growth if viewing 3-4+ yr olds.
From 5-7yrs his frame solidified and stopped looking ‘gangly’, and a bit more height added.
I measure when theyre relaxed eating.

Certainly look for fine hot blood with some native as they are fine in movement, yet have that ‘robustness’ to them for heavier riders/stamina work.

eggs

Visit site
Most people over estimate the height of a horse/pony. I do have a stick with a spirit level and whilst I am sure I am not 100% accurate when I measure I am at least pretty close to the real height. One of mine measures just over 17.2 on my stick and the amount of people who tell me he must be at least 18 hands is consistently high. I have never had anyone tell me that they think he is 17 hands!

Years ago I was looking for a horse and didn't want to look below 16 hands as I am 5'8". I went to see one advertised as 16.1 but when I got there he was just a smidge over 15 hands - I ended up buying him and had many happy years with him.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Horses can indeed measure smaller or larger according to any number of factors - time of day, stress levels, hydration, physical condition, etc.

This very true an unfit horse gets smaller I don’t know how tall H is but he looks smaller in August than he does in January when he’s fully fit .
Blue was hugely fat when he came he was sold as 16.2 and I would say that’s what he is now slim and fit and worked he developed a proper ( ish still a way go ) thoracic sling .
He looks narrower , he is but only a little , less than ten mm but as his front end support muscles have woken from their slumber he’s developed a wither and looks less wide and more up in his conformation .

daffy44

Visit site
I once sold a horse that was 16.1, I measured him at 16.1 and then stated his height in the advert, a lady phoned me, enquired about his height, I explained I'd measured him, she came to see him with her own measuring stick, measured him, 16.1 again, and then said she was the wrong height, she hadnt expected my measurement to be correct, got in her car and left! Poor horse and I were left standing on the yard flabbergasted as she roared off!

ihatework

Visit site
I once sold a horse that was 16.1, I measured him at 16.1 and then stated his height in the advert, a lady phoned me, enquired about his height, I explained I'd measured him, she came to see him with her own measuring stick, measured him, 16.1 again, and then said she was the wrong height, she hadnt expected my measurement to be correct, got in her car and left! Poor horse and I were left standing on the yard flabbergasted as she roared off!

????
People huh!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site

That is quite spectacular!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Horses can indeed measure smaller or larger according to any number of factors - time of day, stress levels, hydration, physical condition, etc.

I never tire of telling people that this is because a horse's forelegs are not attached to the rest of its skeleton by anything except soft tissue ?