mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Got to the yard to see Ebi, Willow and Chantin tonight. Ebi and Chantin are fine but Willow has got an eye infection. Nothing out of the normal this morning with her but tonight its disgusting. Luckily my friend was a the yard so she held Ebi for me whilst i cleaned Willows eye up. Baby wipes at the ready! Called the vets to see if there was anything i could give her but they want to see her tomorrow. So got to go to work early and see if i can leave early to see vet (there wont be a problem there never is but always need to check)
So after that went to check on the ponies in the field I rent. Sasha - no probs, Krunchie - no probs, Flighty OMFG the biggest eye infection ever, but not has she just got it in one eye shes got it in both
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
. So baby wipes out again, eyes cleaned up and cream put in them. Poor sod didnt want me to mess with her eyes as they were quite swollen and red. She mustve been rubbing her eyes as her mask was stuck to her face.
So little old Flighty will be seeing the vet tomorrow as well for a check up.
I try my hardest for them. Theyve always got masks on, their eyes are cleaned daily but the bloody flies still do their deed and [****] their eyes up - going to invest in some new masks for the girlies. Do you think it owuld be alright to put Willow some kind of protection on her even if its only a fly fringe? (shes only 7weeks old)
confused.gif

Why cant they just be wiped out in one fell swoop, im sure they dont have a purpose in life anyway.
rant over.

S_N

Visit site
Hector wears a fly fringe! Just make sure it's on a leather headcollar! Poor ponies, hugs to you and them!!

_daisy_

Visit site
cheers SN. Feel really sorry for Flighty. Fetched Ebi, Willow and Flighty in this morning for the day. Theyre much much better than last night. Flightys eyes are still swollen but nothing like last night.
Going to call the vet later on to get him to come out and see them.

Can i put a fly fringe on her leather filly slip or does it have to be a headcollar? Can it just be a webbing one or again does it have to a leather fly fringe?

S_N

Visit site
Awww poor Flighty! Yup her foal slip will be fine - until she grows out of it obviously! No, a webbing fly fringe will do the job, but if you have a leather on, use that!!

flyingfeet

Visit site
Eye infections are rife at the moment.

Clean eyes with saline solution (salt water) rather than Baby Wipes, as although mild, they are not actually intended for in-eye use!

Strongly suggest that you bonnet /mask up your horses if possible. A fly fringe is not good enough. The flies have the bacteria on them, so any contact with the eyes will flare up the infection again.

Nic

Visit site
I can reccommend the Equilibrium field relief. D has blocked tear ducts so his eyes were horrendous with the flys until I bought this last summer. They have been fine all this year as the flys can't get near his eyes with the mask on.

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks for this but i feel that a fly mask on a 7wk old foal might completely blow any confidence she actually has at the moment. A fly fringe will give her the view that she normally has but with the added help of getting rid of the flies. when shes a bit older ill look at putting her a mask on.

_daisy_

Visit site
agree with you about the equilibrium ones. Ebi and Chant have them on all the time- theyve not had any problems. Sasha refuses to keep hers on, so of course shes already had the eye infection. but Flighty will have one on tomorrow when she goes out. Just need to get one for Krunchie - just hope she lets me put one on her, oh and then i need to find one small enough for Willow when she eventually gets round to having one on.

_daisy_

Visit site
well vet has been this evening - ended up leaving around 7.15. Both of Willows eyes are infected and very inflamed. shes blinking like mad. Flightys arent much better but he was very pleased that i got a shot of cream in each of her eyes last night as this has helped. The swelling has gone done in Flightys eyes but theyre still painful for her.
Willow wasnt best pelased that i was sticking something in her eyes but ones wed had the tantrum she was as good as gold. Now just got to put cream in both Flighty and WIllow everyday for a couple of days to make sure everything is ok.

thanks for everyones replies

S_N

Visit site
You can also tea bag the eyes! I meant to say this earlier! You boil water, leave some tea bags to seep in it, let the water cool down and using cotton wool bath the eyes.

You are wise not to use a mask on a foal - not worth the risk IMO. I know I put that one on H, but it was for a max. of 5 mins in a stable - he was ROOTED to the spot - he could see movement, but not what he was used to.

_daisy_

Visit site
someone mentioned that to me at work this morning - she used to breed Pekingese dogs who always have eyes problems. She bathed them in cold tea then put in either optrex or golden eye cream.

i didnt think it would be safe for a 7wk old foal to have a mask on. Im going to see how she reacts to a fly fringe on in the stable tomorrow morning. If she freaks out shell get turned out without it.

i remember the photos of H - he looked really good in his space helmet!!
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
LMAO! It was B's (though too small for her) it rather drowned him - sister's horse now has that. If she doesn't like it - and tbh I'd be suprised if she didn't (though you might want to trim the length of the tassles, so she can't chew them) - you could always plaster on either Itch Stop or Espace gel round her eyes - these worked with H!

_daisy_

Visit site
i bet she will kick up a fuss, she did tonight with the vet when he held her whilst i put the cream in her eyes.
was wondering whether fly spray/cream round her eyes would be a suitable option till we get her used to a fringe then later a mask

selina25

Visit site
you can get a a new tyoe of fly fringe which holds on round the ears and does not have a head collar that can rub. Also you can get citronella cream that you rub in round the eyes and its lasts for ages..... the weather seems to be cooling now so hopefully there will be less flys roll on mud fever...

(lol)