If I see one more advert I swear down I am going to MAD!

dominobrown

Visit site
If I see one more advert on facebook tonight along these lines...

Old ex-racer, unrideable for whatever reason, has some complicated medical condition that needs managed, owners love it very much but IT MUST BE GONE BY WINTER.

pee off, I am not a charity, get it pts, or don't a tb in the first case if you can't afford to feed it.

arrghh

Regandal

Visit site
There's one being pushed hard by Horses4Homes just now. Won a few races, and was given to the racing school. Now found to have an enlarged heart. Can only do very light work, devoted owner looking for a good home for it. Sticks in the craw a bit..........we mere mortals struggle on looking after our old crocks.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
There's one being pushed hard by Horses4Homes just now. Won a few races, and was given to the racing school. Now found to have an enlarged heart. Can only do very light work, devoted owner looking for a good home for it. Sticks in the craw a bit..........we mere mortals struggle on looking after our old crocks.

Clearly so devoted they can't wait to get rid of it! Jeez it irritates me so much when the rest of us accept when our horses can't be ridden and either pay to keep them as companions or at least make the decision to PTS which is probably what the next person to get the horse ends up having to do!

dominobrown

Visit site
There are at least 3 on my facebook feed at the moment, I wish I had the confidence to comment on the adverts because they are a joke.
Poor horse regandal, its had a hard life, I wish people would just do the right thing.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
There are at least 3 on my facebook feed at the moment, I wish I had the confidence to comment on the adverts because they are a joke.
Poor horse regandal, its had a hard life, I wish people would just do the right thing.

Comment - I always do on stuff like that - if they don't like what I say, tough - they can remove my comment if they want to.

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
Had something similar on my old work classified last winter. Aged horse, no longer able to do much work so being sold as a companion or light hack, had problems with teeth too. Free to a good home and owner could sort out a field for the horse with current field owner, horse no longer suitable for needs. If my memory serves me correctly I believe the horse was 23?

Was so tempted to respond to the advert telling the person what I really thought but instead spent my time informing my colleagues about the type of people who try to palm off horses that are becoming an expense due to health/age. It's just not on.

hairycob

Visit site
And the biggest problem is that being free/ very cheap they can end up in a very bad place indeed. Thinking of a poor ex racer "rescue" that was finally pts this week after 12 months in an unsuitable home.

Visit site
Anybody want my 14yo exracer gelding, technically lame, hates being ridden, hates being stabled, lives out all winter with rugs, hay and food, LOVES terrorizing sheep, will molest you for polos and dance for oranges? He won races when he was younger so is worth lots of money!

Price: £1,000,000,000.01

:D

Seriously these adverts annoy me. My 3 tb's are with me to the end of their days, the one I have on loan will either live out his days with his loaner or come back to me for the rest of his life. I took them on, they are my responsibility.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I only get feeds from friends and family on FB. Do you have to join the groups which have these adverts on them and couldn't you block the stuff from appearing on your page ? It sounds a bit depressing.

Finlib

Visit site
I have 4 horses 3 in work 8 years 11 years and 20 years old and an ex racing T/b aged 26
He was retired 5 years ago as he is stiff in front and no longer enjoyed work.He costs more to feed in winter than the other 3 put together and still needs front shoes as he struggles without. .
When I can no longer afford to look after him and feed him or if he gets a injury or condition that affects his quality of life and needs expensive drugs I will have him pts.
I got him aged 10 had 11 good riding years with him he has had 5 years of happy retirement.He is a good looking horse vet and farrier say he looks more like 18/19 than 26 he could be buted to work but is field sound without so I prefer to keep him off bute (except occasionally if it is really cold).
Why oh why do people just want to make them someone elses problem he is MY problem and when I the time comes (whether that is financially or illness or injury)he will be pts at home.

PollyP99

Visit site
I want to see a horse dance for oranges ...... Although I'm not sure the reality could live up to the image in my head!

Totally agree with all on this thread, ridiculous, do the right thing!

On the dancing horse, my sisters new horse was taught by previous owners to twirl for a treat as part of his groundwork ( he's 3, beautifully behaved, they did a good job) all very well but if you give him one he will twirl and twirl until he gets another, so dancing for a treat is in his repertoire

Visit site
I want to see a horse dance for oranges ...... Although I'm not sure the reality could live up to the image in my head!

If you show him one and then stand the other side of the fence out of his reach to peel it he will squeal, bronc, mini rear, and spin in little circles doing all of this in sheer excitement at getting an orange! Yes it is kind of teasing but he only does it for the first orange, he is satisfied to get one and a 2nd is a bonus but not one worth dancing for! You've got to love the old codger! :D

twiggy2

Visit site
If you show him one and then stand the other side of the fence out of his reach to peel it he will squeal, bronc, mini rear, and spin in little circles doing all of this in sheer excitement at getting an orange! Yes it is kind of teasing but he only does it for the first orange, he is satisfied to get one and a 2nd is a bonus but not one worth dancing for! You've got to love the old codger! :D

we need to see this

luckyoldme

Visit site
If they were really truthfull it would help.
Ie... lovely ex racer really nice looking horse with huge potentil..to bankrupt you in vets bills...and also totally unrideable.
I dont get it at all...just man up and pts...and get yourself a younger model.
Personally i have a 24 year old and theres no way i would sell or give away my security of doing whats best for him...thats what beloved means.

chazza44

Visit site
This irritates me a lot. On the flip side have seen a lot of people wanting horses who say things along the lines of 'must be a weight carrier, saint but not really got much money'.... When I was selling a horse I got so fed up with this as thought if you don't have much money why are you buying a horse? Oh and why do you want a weight carrier? Oh wait you're as wide as you are tall. Sorry but not turning my horse over to become a welfare case with a bad back. Sorry rant over!

IGWLC

Visit site
I so agree! They're hammered on the race track too young and then get sold once they develop problems later on in life and stop making money. It's ridiculous.