If I was to show my horse, what type would she be?

rosiesowner

Visit site
Please excuse my ignorance, for I really do not have any knowledge about showing! I've been thinking that as soon as I'm back on my feet (without crutches!) I want to start Chills with some outings to do some showing in hand. However, I've no idea what classes I'd enter beyond the obvious veteran (she's 17) and ex-racer ones. Help!

I'm aware she doesn't have the most amazing conformation and that she would have to be turned out very differently (no black or patent for showing!). I'm guessing a brown in hand bridle? Is she allowed a pretty velvet browband?;) She has a pulled style tail. I just thought it'd be a good way to get a few local outings in. Plus-if we're being optimistic-the rosettes in showing always seem better than dressage!

She's 15.2hh with a petite, pretty dished face.
I do appreciate these are possibly the worst photos possible to get an idea of her conformation!
27072583_893169944175987_3589028830657626386_n.jpg

21686443_828978837261765_5289366586701425230_n.jpg

28959413_917214895104825_2967537554485846144_n.jpg

36933378_997278957098418_8088538065460527104_n.jpg

Visit site
You can have black tack for showing but I would avoid the patent leather! I would turn out as a riding horse which is a tweed jacket and velvet browband. Veterans, Ex-racer, Riding Horse classes are easily doable. It depends what classes the shows you plan on going to have really.

rosiesowner

Visit site
You can have black tack for showing but I would avoid the patent leather! I would turn out as a riding horse which is a tweed jacket and velvet browband. Veterans, Ex-racer, Riding Horse classes are easily doable. It depends what classes the shows you plan on going to have really.

Haha yes, I think I'll have a skirt around online for a nice second hand in-hand bridle. Very upset I'll have to leave the patent leather behind! Cool, thanks for the suggestions-I'd hate to enter a wrong class just because I've not got a lot of knowledge on types etc. Glad about the browband though-it's a chance to do a little bit of matchy to my tie ;)

Are there colours that are more preferred for browbands? Example being that I think she'd look lovely in a really dark purple, almost navy colour but I'd hate to choose it if most judges would prefer something else.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Given her nice way of going and pretty head she might do ok as a hack. I cant remember the height limits off hand, but I'm sure its around 15.2hh

rosiesowner

Visit site
Given her nice way of going and pretty head she might do ok as a hack. I cant remember the height limits off hand, but I'm sure its around 15.2hh

She's certainly only little so would make 15.2hh. I'm not expecting miracles or to go to HOYS, I just thought it'd be a fun thing to have a go at as I've never really dipped my toes into showing at all :p

be positive

Visit site
Haha yes, I think I'll have a skirt around online for a nice second hand in-hand bridle. Very upset I'll have to leave the patent leather behind! Cool, thanks for the suggestions-I'd hate to enter a wrong class just because I've not got a lot of knowledge on types etc. Glad about the browband though-it's a chance to do a little bit of matchy to my tie ;)

Are there colours that are more preferred for browbands? Example being that I think she'd look lovely in a really dark purple, almost navy colour but I'd hate to choose it if most judges would prefer something else.

You should show her in a riding bridle even in hand as she is not a youngster, definitely small riding horse type, dark purple would be fine but lighten it with something paler, most browbands are made up of at least 2 and usually 3 colours.

rosiesowner

Visit site
You should show her in a riding bridle even in hand as she is not a youngster, definitely small riding horse type, dark purple would be fine but lighten it with something paler, most browbands are made up of at least 2 and usually 3 colours.

Now that's something I didn't know! A riding bridle with reins or with one of those clip on either side chain leather lead line thingies? These are some really silly questions I'm asking, I know!

be positive

Visit site
Now that's something I didn't know! A riding bridle with reins or with one of those clip on either side chain leather lead line thingies? These are some really silly questions I'm asking, I know!

With reins over the head, you will look much more proficient doing this than having a chain or lead rein with the bonus you can use it in ridden classes as well once you get the bug.