If only I could get on my new potential competition horse- help please!

1928sky

Visit site
Have just bought a homebred 15.2 connemara x tb x trakhener, just 5- professionally broken last year and then had been picked up and put down a couple of times just to do some schooling, jumping and hacking at home. She was as quiet as a lamb when I viewed her, infact difficult to get in front of the leg! Got her home on friday, quite a change of scenery for her as a busy yard, she seemed quite settled in the stable. Saturday I mounted her- no problem, used a block and just gently lifted myself into the saddle without using stirrups. Very buzzy and energetic- went for a short hack alone around the xc course- had a spook at some of the fences and would spin around and buck but we got around the hack. When I got off her something slammed and she shot sideways at 90 miles an hour, I only just managed to stay on my feet and keep hold of her. Had a bit of a traumatic day turning out with new companions and she ran through the electric gate after that. Sunday I rode again in the morning and had a bit of a hairy mount, difficult to get to stand near the block so I used the stirrup (which is how I and old owner mounted when i tried her) and she whipped round somehow in the very narrow gap! Got to school and she freaked out when I leant forward to open gate, running backwards and got very tense, reassured her and then had an interesting dismount where she tried to leap away from me again. Got in the school and then went to use mounting block, a bit of fussing around getting her to stand. I then put my foot in the stirrup and she shot off up the school with me on the side for a few metres before I had to bail and eat dirt! Took her back to the yard and got someone to hold her. Just about managed to get on but she shot off happily trampling anybody or anything in her path, very very tense like a colied spring- just calmly walked around reassuring her and when she had settled a bit I took her up to the school where she did some excellent work- was really pleased with how she went. I then spent a bit of time getting her used to me learning forward and putting my leg back and touching her sides, before dismounting which was much better as although she looked very tense she didn't move. I have to admit i feel like I have bitten off a little bit more than I can chew- I feel confident riding her once I am on and saturdays antics didn't worry me- but being dragged while trying to mount scared me. Friend came up in the evening who was very good with her and we just practiced standing next to the block with me above her. Her tack came with her so it is exactly the same as what she has been ridden in her old home- she has absolutely no wither which means the saddle is liable to slip but this is helped by the very sticky professionals choice girth. She has no hard feed. I'm pretty sure its a new home settling in thing rather than pain etc as she had only ever had one home and owner since birth, but I would be grateful for some advice on how to go about erasing any negative events that have just happened- after 6 months of no riding after my mare got injured I was really looking forward to having a new one to ride but its no fun when you can't get on, and I don't know anyone at the new yard. Be grateful for any advice- thank you.

Weezy

Visit site
Oh bless her, her whole life has changed so it is not suprising that she is feeling tense!

I would not ride her alone ATM, take her out hacking with someone else and get some trust going. I know you don't know anyone but you are going to have to put yourself out there and ask for some help :)

As for getting on her, you are doing the correct thing, take your time and have someone on the ground to help. Get on and off until you are both bored and reward her for good behaviour. I am sure it will all be fine :)

vroutledge

Visit site
With any new horse if changing yards i always leave for 1-2 weeks before riding so they can settle in and get used to new surroundings. She sounds like she's had a bit of a traumatic time so far so just let her have a bit of time off even if its just a week and instead of riding spend lots of time grooming and paying her one to one attention, then in about a week take her on a stress free hack or in the school and see how she goes.

kerilli

Visit site
I agree with everything Weezy has said.
I'd spend as much time as you can with her, just getting her used to you, so that she'll trust you.
the mounting thing - be prepared for it to take 30 mins, set aside that long. then you can be totally calm and bored about it (which she'll pick up on), and pleasantly surprised if it takes less - she's had a big fright and seems to associate that with you mounting. getting on is the most dangerous time in a way, you have a moment of 'no man's land' where they need to stand still (or at least, not do anything daft!), so spending oodles of time on it now will reap dividends. i'd ask a helper to feed her something as a distraction if necessary, at least for the first 5 times or so, until she chills about it all again.
horses are creatures of habit and EVERYTHING has changed in her life (okay, except her tack!) so i think i'd cut her some slack for being nervous about things at the moment. loads of time, calm confident patient handling, and she'll be back to the horse you tried, i'm sure.

soulfull

Visit site
I agree with everything Weezy has said.
I'd spend as much time as you can with her, just getting her used to you, so that she'll trust you.
the mounting thing - be prepared for it to take 30 mins, set aside that long. then you can be totally calm and bored about it (which she'll pick up on), and pleasantly surprised if it takes less - she's had a big fright and seems to associate that with you mounting. getting on is the most dangerous time in a way, you have a moment of 'no man's land' where they need to stand still (or at least, not do anything daft!), so spending oodles of time on it now will reap dividends. i'd ask a helper to feed her something as a distraction if necessary, at least for the first 5 times or so, until she chills about it all again.
horses are creatures of habit and EVERYTHING has changed in her life (okay, except her tack!) so i think i'd cut her some slack for being nervous about things at the moment. loads of time, calm confident patient handling, and she'll be back to the horse you tried, i'm sure.

Exactly what I was going to say. Echo riding with another horse for a while.
personally I like to keep to a similar routine as they had a previous yard, so if ridden 5 days in the evening then that is what I do, gradually changing things to suit me.
I find not riding them often leaves them wondering what is happening or they object when you do start riding

siennamum

Visit site
Baa. I agree with what's been written. I wouldn't be too worried, she just needs a bit of time. I am paranoid when getting on young horses. You are very vulnerable and it's easy for them to get worried & develop bad habits. You are doing the right thing, taking your time getting her used to being mounted.I would drop back a bit and let her take a breath, treat her as just backed.

I think the 5 cleverest horse/pony breeds (entirely unscientific) are NF, arab, Connemara, Trek & TB. But they are also brilliant competitors, so there's hope for you. I have a 1/2 Conn & he is the smartest thing on the planet & at rising 5 I am also extremely careful about getting on board and him only learning the things he's supposed to learn.

Bug2007

Visit site
Same as what has been said really.

All very new to her.

Just get on and off millions of times.

As for the gate, this can be unnerving for some horses to start with as you are sat nice in the middle all the time while riding then all of a sudden your weight is right forward and leaning to the gate, the major shift in balance can be terrifiing for them.

You've only had her two minutes, do a little more ground work with her and get a relationship, so she knows she can trust you. Being the first owner since her early days will be hard for her.

She'll improve all just a huge change.

Good luck we look forward to some more positive progress updates. :D

ironhorse

Visit site
Echo what everyone else has said about getting her used to you - when we got our QH mare as a 5yo she turned from a laid back plod to a spooky youngster for the first few months, not helped by the fact that she'd gone from a small family yard to a big RS/Livery yard. I had to spend a lot of time getting her to trust me, and feel safe because she was with me.
On the subject of mounting - I used to ride a friend's horse who was always a bit tricky to mount, and went through a bad patch after someone's foot slipped out of the stirrup when they were getting on, and they landed underneath him! With him, I would get someone that I knew well and who he liked (my OH or my instructor) to hang onto him when I mounted, making a fuss of him and giving him a treat when he stood still. We used a mounting block (to make it more complicated I only rode this particular horse side saddle!) but made sure it was in plenty of space so if he ran off, he wouldn't bang himself on anything. I also spent a lot of time tapping the saddle and moving the stirrup around until he relaxed, like you would when you are breaking a horse in. Keep this in small doses so that you don't freak yours out! Then eventually you can get them used to flapping coats, leaning off them to do gates etc.
It takes a lot of time and patience but is worth it - everyone held their breath when my OH took his coat off on this particular horse and threw it on the trailer ramp when we were at a fun ride and he didn't bat an eyelid!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Ditto Wheezy and Kerilli - just give her time to settle. Give her time to settle and get to know you, the yard, her fieldmates.
The more you do that freaks her now the more harm you will do to both your confidence.
Take it slowly - she will settle and be fine. Good luck!

dieseldog

Visit site
My horse was a nightmare to get on when I first got him. As soon as I went to mount he was off. I bribed him. I got a bucket of food, which I put at chest height so his head wasn’t on the floor and let him eat it while I got on. I had no one to help me get on so this was the best solution for me. Once I got on, I would put a mounting block beside him, I let him carry on eating for a bit so he didn’t think he had to be off as soon as I sat on him. This worked it took a few weeks and now I can get on him anywhere, from anything, lorry steps at horse shows, and he always stands until I let him go. You just need to break the cycle.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have a horse who was a nightmare to get on - he still is not brilliant mostly because if you get on wrong he panics or bucks like stink. Over time he has got better and better. My other paranoia is I like my helper to let go ASAP when you are on or let them walk forwards because this can help defuse the situation especially if they are not that strong over the back.

Tinks81

Visit site
i would not leave them to settle in at all it will be worse once they have settled in and found there feet!!

I had a mare i couldnt get on once and i sent her away and this is what i was taught .... you have to imagine a square box next to the mounting block, walk her to it and ask her to stand in the box dont have too much of a hold on her make a fuss when she stands there without you holding her then walk up the box again very slowly but dont have too much contact on the rein - you will find at this point she will either walk forwards or push her bum out to the side you must them put her back in the box the way she came out of it so if she walks forwards push her back - NEVER walk them away from the box in a circle as they are basically getting there own way they must always go back in that box - repeat this till you can stand on the top of the box and she is quiet !!

no when i used to get on mine she would go to run away so they taught me to spin her in a circle - sounds very complicated but it really isnt !!

as others have said hack out with someone else take your time with everything but be firm she will be trying how far she can push you xx

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Oh bless her, her whole life has changed so it is not suprising that she is feeling tense!

I would not ride her alone ATM, take her out hacking with someone else and get some trust going. I know you don't know anyone but you are going to have to put yourself out there and ask for some help :)

As for getting on her, you are doing the correct thing, take your time and have someone on the ground to help. Get on and off until you are both bored and reward her for good behaviour. I am sure it will all be fine :)

This^^^^ I am shocked that you took her out alone straight away. Take everything very slowly and make sure that you have a 'nanny horse' with her as much as possible.

Firewell

Visit site
Agree with everyone else!
Also when I got my young horse I didn't take him out on his own for a while. For the first day I did a couple minutes lunging, hopped on and schooled for 15 mins and that was it, I also had someone on the ground just in case.
Next few times I rode in the school just quietly for a short time to get used to each other. I went for my first hack about a week later with two other quiet horses, we went round the block, I kept him behind and he was fine!
I took him on my own round the field a few weeks after I got him but I didn't hack out properly on my own for about 2/3 months.
I think with youngsters it's important not to set yourself up to fail or have a horrid time, only do things that you know are within comfort zone and take it slowly taking one step at a time.
With the mounting only try when you have plenty of time, and there's someone to help you. Get on in the school where it's soft and your in an enclosed space. Do it really slowly and talk calmly, get someone to stroke her and give her polos. If she goes to move quietly move her back. Don't let anyone hang on to her or restrict her as that may panic her as she will feel trapped.
It sounds like she hasn't had any consistent work before you got her so she is probably super green.
Also try not to worry! She sounds a lovely sensitive little horse and I bet you will have so much fun with her! It's always hard getting used to a new horse, you will be fine! Everyone has the odd teething problem :) x

kerilli

Visit site
My other paranoia is I like my helper to let go ASAP when you are on or let them walk forwards because this can help defuse the situation especially if they are not that strong over the back.

ditto this, i never insist on a young horse standing perfectly still, i don't mind them wandering off slowly (not zooming off obv!), as insisting they stand can set them off, you can end up with a battle or panic attack over something really silly, not nice when you're only half on anyway. when they get a bit older and are used to the weight, change of feel with rider aboard, etc, then i'll be a bit more strict about the standing still malarkey...

seabsicuit2

Visit site
She really should have a few weeks to settle in and relax in her new environment before starting riding again.
Just get her relaxed and happy at home within a strict routine.

Then I would go right back to basics and basically re-break her- lots of lunging, long reining, leaning over etc etc as tho she was unbroken.

Then dont take her out for a hack out alone until its a good 6 months or so down the line!!

With mounting, I always lean over them first and pat their shoulders/tummy/give them a titbit and then I gradually put my leg over very quietly and gently. I still do this routine with my 4 year old even tho she has been broken a good couple of months now- not because she has ever given me cause for concern but I still get on like that just to keep her happy and sweet about it all!

millimoo

Visit site
Agree with much of the advise on here.... although don't think you need to go as far as re-breaking her. Funadamentally its a trust thing.

My mum has a very talented Dressage Horse. She bought him home and he started to unravel, which in turn knocked my mums confidence.

It's taken 18 months, lots of help and support, plus a move to a friends livery yard and he's a different horse.
He's plied with lots of carrots, is seen everyday (ridden or not) and my mum has had lots of lessons.

My mum had got to the point where she was ready to give up, but she has just taken him out on the lorry to a new venue for a Dressage lesson and he was foot perfect and really chilled - a real milestone in my mums journey back from the brink.
He'll always have an edge, but the key to it all is that he's absolutely devoted to my mum - never seen a horse so attached to a human if im honest. He's a sensitive sole, and change really upsets him, as does getting after him.
Everything is none confrontational, but he really responds to kindness and tries so hard for my mum now.

He will never come home - is so obviously happy on a busier yard, plus my mums has help whenever she needs it.
My mums horse is not really an amatuers horse, although my mum is extremely competent and has proved that with time and help she is now beginning to acheive her goals.
Give your new horse time, get on her, ride her, but don't overface yourself and as others have suggested, ride in company (my mum still does most of the time). And most of all, always have a large bag of carrots / treats to make friends and bond with your horse.
Good luck, you'll get there :)

measles

Visit site
Agree with Kerilli, Baggybreeches etc. You'll be fine but get some experienced help so you are not going it alone - agree a strategy with an instructor over a coffee then implement it, giving the mare lots of time to achieve each milestone and lots of positive reinforcement. Everything in her life has changed and she needs you to educate her to the new norms and give her confidence. I'd always expect a young horse to react to new circumstances and a new environment in some way or other, and although the experiences you have are more extreme than usual they are completely understandable and solvable.

Good luck with her - let us know how you get on.

1928sky

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your advice, sorry been at work all day so couldn't reply! I feel much more reassured by it all, I will take it very slowly, and take time to get to know her on the ground and get to know my fellow liveries so I can ask for help. I might book the school out for an hour before I have another go at getting on so all is quiet, safe enclosed environment and with people to help. I have to say I've always taken young horses out alone, mainly because I used to keep them at home and the reason I would have a new youngster was because none of the others were serviceably sound so no nanny horse available, obviously I would keep it very short to start- like I did in this instance i.e track around all the grazing paddocks with all her stable mates in, we were never out of sight of home, but I heed all your advice and will go out with a nanny horse for the forseeable future.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Sorry Jemma sounds like a bit too much too soon.
I agree with Kerelli, don't attempt to ride her for now, go back a step.
I would just lunge her in tack, do some long reining and get some form of communication and trust with each other.
If it's possible leading her out tacked up from somethingquiet to familiarise her with her new hacking area would be a good idea.
No way would I go round an open field to start with, that's asking for trouble!
Every time you handle her spend at least half an hour as K suggests leaning over her from a big box and pat her all over so she is desensitised to touch. We push the irons against their sides a few times too so the cold metal isn't a shock.
Just give her time to settle then do sensible things like a quiet hack with a companion, she should be fine given time.

VRIN

Visit site
Agree with whats been said about settling and taking things slowly.

Also lunge first - I did this with mine at the start. It gives you the opportunity to see how they might be feeling before you get on, allows them to have a bit of a look around and also blow off a bit of steam if necessary.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
As an owner of a hombred rising 5 I agree with the others you have to allow time to settle. Our lad is the easiest horse to deal with, but I would be surprised if new people/horses, new home he would not mishave in some way. She will automatically be on her guard as there are no horses/people she yet trusts. Dont loose your nerve, stay consistent, keep a routine & take things slowly & I am sure she will be fine.

ajn1610

Visit site
I'd maybe get a saddler out too - just because it's the tack she's come with doesn't mean it fits well. I'm surprised by people saying they leave a horse for weeks before getting on, I get on straight away but don't do anything stressful and keep it low key, maybe wasn't the greatest idea to hack straight away but I think you've probably just been a bit unlucky and a couple of bad experiences have put the wind up her. I agree with ground work to help settle her and develop your relationship. Definitely take your time mounting maybe try having someone give you a moving leg up for a while?

oldvic

Visit site
I certainly wouldn't stop riding her. You will still have to face the problem but she most probably will have become more feral. Lunge her before you get on her until she settles a) to let her get used to her surroundings and b) so she is relaxed and not fresh when you get on. Have someone to hold her on a lunge rein when you get on and lead her quietly forward as soon as you are safely on. Then they can undo the line and walk beside her gradually moving away. Ideally hack with a quiet friend and make sure that you go infront, first in easy places, then increase the difficulty. It needn't take long to have her so you can go by yourself if you want - some horses will go alone straight away, others take a little longer. For getting off, stand her in an enclosed space like the corner of the arena so she can't dive away and maybe have someone hold her a few times.
Also, when you are grooming, stand on something high enough that you can pat her on the other side and she can see you with both eyes. If she gets tense, just keep going until she relaxes and realises that it is no big deal. You can do this before you take her out to get on as well.
Without wishing to malign the vendor, there is a possibility that she had had a little sedalin when you went to try her - quiet, easy to get on, hard to get infront of your leg, etc. This is not an insurmountable problem but may mean that she takes a little longer to get her as you would like her and it might be worth getting some professional help before the habits get too ingrained.

OldGit

Visit site
When I tried MG he was almost sluggish, moved him to the yard I was then based at and he became a loon. He would do halt to canter brilliantly, only problem was it was from the mounting block, usually with me having one foot in the stirrups. At competitions I used to get a crowd watching me "work in", YO spoke to a number of people to get me to send him back. This went on for 2-3 months, now I have an awsome horse that does his best for me. Give it time, don't get stressed, and if it's meant to be it will!!!