If shaking yourself dry is useless, why do dogs bother?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I've been up on our roof to fix it from leaking, came in all sweaty, and decided to take a quick shower, before having something to eat. For some reason (possibly laziness), I decided to only take a dress + slippers with me to the shower, no towel, and thought **If the dogs can shake dry, so can I**

I'm 46 years old, I'm too old for stupidities like this. There I stood in the shower, first shaking my body, then lifting one leg at a time, and trying to give them each a good shake. Still soaking wet, I had to give up, leave the shower, put the dress on, and now I'm sitting here, stubbornly hoping that the warm indoor air will dry me.

Shaking yourself dry is bloody useless, so why do my dogs bother trying to do it? Is it because they have hair all-over their bodies, that actually makes the shaking work?

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
So they can get you wet as well, silly!

Oh, of course! Why didn't I think of that.

g060.gif

Daisy H

New User
Visit site
So funny! It’s why dogs have all that loose skin. It’s something like when they shake, the skin moves faster and shakes the water off. I read about it a while ago, can’t remember the exact words but that’s the gist. Maybe if you put on loads of weight then lose it really quickly your skin will be looser and you’ll get the same effect?

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
So funny! It’s why dogs have all that loose skin. It’s something like when they shake, the skin moves faster and shakes the water off. I read about it a while ago, can’t remember the exact words but that’s the gist. Maybe if you put on loads of weight then lose it really quickly your skin will be looser and you’ll get the same effect?

After what gravitation have done to my breasts, that means at least they should have been dry as Sahara.

They weren't. Maybe it is a combination of loose skin, and being covered with hair.