If there was an award for horse of the year why would you think your horse would win?

skychick

Visit site
Was just reading a newspaper and there are the ususal mum of the year etc etc award entries for people who have been amazing people etc and it made me think if there was such an award for horses, would you enter your horse and why do you think your horse is so fantastic???

I will go first!

Alice is a wonder horse. After a realy bad time with my previous horse this year who was quirky beyond belief and put me through hell, i was offered her on permanat loan by a friend. I had to bring her back into work after having two babies as my friend was busy eventing other horses to do anything with alice. Alice was evented to intermediate level but did a hind tendon so she was rested then had 2 foals whilst her owner evented other horses.
So after 4 years off she was ridden to the end of the lane and back by her owner who just wanted to check that she would be ok and then i had her. I brought her back into work slowly and carefully and she has come back into work brilliantly. we are ready to start some small cross poles soon :-D
She has fully restored my faith in horses. She will ride out in big groups or on her own and behaves impecably. We can leave a big group and come home on our own. She is an angel to do in every way. Even though she is a TB she doesnt hot up if we dont ride for a few days. Throughout the snow she hasnt got bored in her stable (infact she hates going out and would rather be in!) and so with limited turn out and no riding she hasnt got silly. She tries her heart out for me in the school, im no dressage rider and she is teaching me so much and has so much patience if im not asking for something correctly.
She is just the perfect horse. She is forward going, push button, but not silly, she is a dream to hack out but has enough sparkle to keep you awake and never bored. All in all i love her to bits and had it not been for my previous horse giving me such a hard time then i would never have ended up at the livery yard and would never have ended up with alice.
She has reminded me that riding can be the fun hobby that i love so much.

So....why would your horse win horse of the year????

Javabb94

Visit site
Because my horse is cooooooool :D

apart from today when he was well lets just say a tad hyper ........

normally he is lovely push button, even if he does deliberately change onto the wrong leg in canter cos he cant be bothered :)

but in the stable he us fab. Dont need to hold him to tack up, he has such a cool personality

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Tilly would win horse of the year award because she is cheeky and everyone who meets her falls in love with her... even as she escapes from her field. She was bounced from pillar to post until she was 4 yrs old and gave older horses confidence in the sea - even on her first trip out - she will always go past the big scary monster without much of a fuss and keeps everyone on their toes. She can led around like a big dog and will try her heart out for you.

Fidley would win horse of the year award because she is so friendly, yet cautious. Once she warms to you, she will follow you round the field and is reluctant to leave you - with or without treats. She is very willing and tries, even when scared and dubious. She melts your heart when you see how far she's come in 6 months from being very nervous, avoiding people and shaking in new situations to now bouncing to going on walks, trotting to greet you and simply just being there. - even if Tilly chases her away, she creeps back.

Fii

Visit site
One of mine would win.

We bought him to do wagon rides around our village about 11 years ago, he is a 17.2 shire. Although he was a bit quirky to start with, i learnt to drive with him:eek:
He has done us proud all these years, and has a beautiful, gentle personality, we have had people coming back year after year to see him even after he retired.
Everybody in the village nows him by name, and when we moved him from the field to another for the summer, we had lots of people asking if he was all right as they had;nt seen him for so long :).

Three weeks ago he somehow got himself stuck in the stream. The fire brigade managed to get him out, but we could'nt get him to stand up, even with the help of a manatu:(. The manatu carried him to the barn, and we made him comfortable for the night.
The next day the vet onley gave him a 1% chance of making it:(
But with five of us to help we did get him on his feet :)
and got him back to his field, and he is now fighting fit again, i could'nt beleive his luck i was sure he would have to be put down.
So this is a tribute to our old lad, you are my horse, not just of the year, but my life !!

Dancing Queen

Visit site
i would like to think mine would win - huge brown eyes, adorable nature, responds to voice command and follows you everywhere, everyone who meets him falls in love with him, then he goes mental in the paddock showing off and he is a beauty when he moves.

(you can tell im one of those moms!)

TheoryX1

Visit site
My cob would win Thug of the Year Award. He makes the whole yard laugh at his thuggy antics, except when he has beaten up another horse, which sadly he does regularily. No, I am not proud of his antics, but he is a thug, looks like a thug and behaves like one.

Mini TX's mare would win Be atch of the Year Award. If you knew her, you would understand why.

skychick

Visit site
One of mine would win.

We bought him to do wagon rides around our village about 11 years ago, he is a 17.2 shire. Although he was a bit quirky to start with, i learnt to drive with him:eek:
He has done us proud all these years, and has a beautiful, gentle personality, we have had people coming back year after year to see him even after he retired.
Everybody in the village nows him by name, and when we moved him from the field to another for the summer, we had lots of people asking if he was all right as they had;nt seen him for so long :).

Three weeks ago he somehow got himself stuck in the stream. The fire brigade managed to get him out, but we could'nt get him to stand up, even with the help of a manatu:(. The manatu carried him to the barn, and we made him comfortable for the night.
The next day the vet onley gave him a 1% chance of making it:(
But with five of us to help we did get him on his feet :)
and got him back to his field, and he is now fighting fit again, i could'nt beleive his luck i was sure he would have to be put down.
So this is a tribute to our old lad, you are my horse, not just of the year, but my life !!

Oh my goodness, what an ordeal he went through and you. He definately is a fighter.

skychick

Visit site
Madonna would win because even though she has been beaten and abused in the past, she is willing to put her total trust in me, even though I ride like an idiot at times (Want evidence?). She alway tries her hardest, and will jump from any stride on any angle just to please her ride. Plus she's pretty; every little girl deserves a pretty horse.
4759105.jpg

Callie would win because she is always determined to do so when we jump. She does her best to go clear with style (As necesitated by hunt-seat judging) never spooking or allowing herself to become distracted, even though I do! She lives for sport and competition, and she would see this as just another goal to conquer.
4759166.jpg

My god, your grey has a wonderfull pop! Those fences are made to look like poles on the ground!!!! What a stunning horse!
Indeed every girl should have a pretty horse and you certainly have that!!

Bless your chestnut! i wish i could do something with style! My riding is very much "i will stay on regardless of what you throw at me but it WONT be pretty" ;-D

skychick

Visit site
My cob would win Thug of the Year Award. He makes the whole yard laugh at his thuggy antics, except when he has beaten up another horse, which sadly he does regularily. No, I am not proud of his antics, but he is a thug, looks like a thug and behaves like one.

Mini TX's mare would win Be atch of the Year Award. If you knew her, you would understand why.

Lol....sounds like you have your work cut out....but you cant beat personality :D

skychick

Visit site
i would like to think mine would win - huge brown eyes, adorable nature, responds to voice command and follows you everywhere, everyone who meets him falls in love with him, then he goes mental in the paddock showing off and he is a beauty when he moves.

(you can tell im one of those moms!)

Sounds like a bit of an eyecatcher :-D

Jesstickle

Visit site

Oh I don't know. I reckon I have a contender for you.

Neither of mine would win horse of the year. But I love them regardless!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Fany would win because she is a total sweetheart. Bombproof and kind she is totally trustworthy with people or other animals, never raises a foot to anyone and even when she had a bad leg, which needed scrubbing with Hibiscrub every day she was so stoic and patient. Bought to her Elizabeth regain her confidence hacking after a horrible hacking accident she has ingrained herself in our lives and will be with us for the rest of her days. She is beloved by all who meet her and is gentle enough to be trusted with young children, she is even used as a rocking horse for the visiting toddler.

FDC

JenTaz

Visit site
Taz could probably win the idiot of the year ;) spooking at things that arent there, cantering sideways up the yard when he has walked in from the field like an angel, trotting round the field not to be caught only then to run into the electric fence and come running towards me...the list could go on and on!

Mistyrocks

Visit site
Breeze would win as shes is 20 but acts and moves like a 5 year old! She has also helped me through the toughest times in my life, she helped me recover from anorexia, depression etc and she continues to be my best friend untill her end. The classes she has competed in she has mostly won this year and all the class being younger than her. I love her for being her, quirky and difficult at times but loving and a donkey at heart!

Millyard Rejects

Visit site
Dave would win the "nice but dim" award for certain!:rolleyes: but he is a big baby and Im very proud that he is still here even though he nearly died as a foal from been starved and neglected and had equine flu...and the bog snorkelling episode? :eek::rolleyes:

Oliver would win most suprised pony due to his constant suprised look on his face!:rolleyes::D

Honey would win " short doesnt mean cute" award :eek::rolleyes::)

Dowjones

Visit site
Faith, the horse in my avatar would have deserved an award like that.
After being found on her side with severe colic by YO with her 3 year old son, she got up and walked across roughly 20 acres of muck, hilly land and bog in the pouring rain because she was asked to. My grumpy impatient mare then stood for 15 minutes while the newly trained vet struggled to find her vein. She fought til the end, but behaved for those few minutes because we gently asked her to.

Gorgeous George

Visit site
George would win horse of the year because he has given me so much confidence, he isn't a saint and he isn't bombproof BUT he is so patient and he has taught me to be brave and trust him :)

He is my first horse and when I got him my confidence was pretty iffy and I was too scared to even trot over a pole on the ground, but in the the 3 years i've had him he's taken me from this:

DSCN2278.jpg

DSC_2622.jpg

To this:

E08_4330.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

What a star :)

skychick

Visit site
Breeze would win as shes is 20 but acts and moves like a 5 year old! She has also helped me through the toughest times in my life, she helped me recover from anorexia, depression etc and she continues to be my best friend untill her end. The classes she has competed in she has mostly won this year and all the class being younger than her. I love her for being her, quirky and difficult at times but loving and a donkey at heart!

Oh bless her she sounds awesome :)

skychick

Visit site
Taz could probably win the idiot of the year ;) spooking at things that arent there, cantering sideways up the yard when he has walked in from the field like an angel, trotting round the field not to be caught only then to run into the electric fence and come running towards me...the list could go on and on!

:D special case :D

skychick

Visit site
Dave would win the "nice but dim" award for certain!:rolleyes: but he is a big baby and Im very proud that he is still here even though he nearly died as a foal from been starved and neglected and had equine flu...and the bog snorkelling episode? :eek::rolleyes:

Oliver would win most suprised pony due to his constant suprised look on his face!:rolleyes::D

Honey would win " short doesnt mean cute" award :eek::rolleyes::)

:-O stuck in a bog must have been scary....good on that horse for getting through it!:eek:

skychick

Visit site
Faith, the horse in my avatar would have deserved an award like that.
After being found on her side with severe colic by YO with her 3 year old son, she got up and walked across roughly 20 acres of muck, hilly land and bog in the pouring rain because she was asked to. My grumpy impatient mare then stood for 15 minutes while the newly trained vet struggled to find her vein. She fought til the end, but behaved for those few minutes because we gently asked her to.

a true superstar x

skychick

Visit site
George would win horse of the year because he has given me so much confidence, he isn't a saint and he isn't bombproof BUT he is so patient and he has taught me to be brave and trust him :)

He is my first horse and when I got him my confidence was pretty iffy and I was too scared to even trot over a pole on the ground, but in the the 3 years i've had him he's taken me from this:

DSCN2278.jpg

DSC_2622.jpg

To this:

E08_4330.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

What a star :)

Oh my good god, he is a superstar. Well done you pair. I have to admit that is how i feel about my mare, i have gone from rock bottom to feeling that i can do anything with her. And she isnt quiet or non spooky by any means, she has a good spook to her, but she means no harm and will always pass something the second time without fail and gives you every bit of confidence you could ask for. your horse looks fab, well done you :)

Gorgeous George

Visit site
Thank you you're very kind. I never thought I would ever have my own horse, so he absolutely means the world to me, and whilst I am still quite nervous at times we give lots of things a try :)

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
I used to know a stunning Chestnut chappy called George... if I had the money, I'd have bought him :(

Dorey would win the award for horse of the year... because she's Dorey!
This year she's had four yards, a baby, then been weaned, travelled the length of the country and started work again! And she's taken it all in her stride :)
But the icing on the cake was after a lunging session, Mum leaning over her back as you do when re-breaking, and Dorey looked at me as if to say "Hurry up and make up your mind! just get on and get on with it!"
Now, I'm far too fat to ride her yet, so I found one of the children and asked if she wanted to ride.
It's been four years since Dorey was on death row, awaiting the word of a vet to see if she could go to stud or not, four years since she was completely and entirely unridable and had tried to kill me for suggesting it. Four years since she'd had a person on her back... and she stood there looking at me like I was nuts for welling up as this girl sat on her.

She is so game to get back into work! She has picked up a bit and re-bitted herself through sheer excitement!!

The cherry, however, is the imagine of Dorey leaning around to kiss her newborn foal with that look only a new mother can have. She is the best Mummy in the world. Even if River disagreed at times!

So year... HOTY for Dorey! :D

skychick

Visit site
I used to know a stunning Chestnut chappy called George... if I had the money, I'd have bought him :(

Dorey would win the award for horse of the year... because she's Dorey!
This year she's had four yards, a baby, then been weaned, travelled the length of the country and started work again! And she's taken it all in her stride :)
But the icing on the cake was after a lunging session, Mum leaning over her back as you do when re-breaking, and Dorey looked at me as if to say "Hurry up and make up your mind! just get on and get on with it!"
Now, I'm far too fat to ride her yet, so I found one of the children and asked if she wanted to ride.
It's been four years since Dorey was on death row, awaiting the word of a vet to see if she could go to stud or not, four years since she was completely and entirely unridable and had tried to kill me for suggesting it. Four years since she'd had a person on her back... and she stood there looking at me like I was nuts for welling up as this girl sat on her.

She is so game to get back into work! She has picked up a bit and re-bitted herself through sheer excitement!!

The cherry, however, is the imagine of Dorey leaning around to kiss her newborn foal with that look only a new mother can have. She is the best Mummy in the world. Even if River disagreed at times!

So year... HOTY for Dorey! :D

oh bless, big kisses for Dorey, i bet she is a fab mummy and that look that only a mother can give :)

skychick

Visit site
Thank you you're very kind. I never thought I would ever have my own horse, so he absolutely means the world to me, and whilst I am still quite nervous at times we give lots of things a try :)

Anyone that can carry on regardless of fear in my book deserves a medal so well done you. Nerves are a horrid thing so to conquor them like you have deserves praise. :)

milesjess

Visit site
Mine would win for putting up with me! I've only had him a month but before I got him I bought my first horse which turned out to be a diaster and she was quickly returned. I ended up feeling like I wasnt going to find the right one, I weren't capable etc... Then Freddie came along. I adore him and we already have a close bond. He puts up with me fussing about him, making mistakes and has taken the new life in his stride. He's cheeky and full of character but he has a heart of gold and there's not a bad bone in his body. He let's my mum and dad (who are complete beginners) fuss over him and feed him and he's a gent :) Oh and he has a heart shape on his head which I love!