if this was your horse, would you bother with insurance?

TarantuLove

Visit site
My boy is 19 now, he is still fairly active, but his policy excludes his back, muscles, any lameness and related structures and I'm paying £40 a month for it! Im guessing the only thing I really need/want cover for is colic but then, as this age, would you put a horse through colic surgery anyway?

Do you reckon I should just put him on a veteran plan to cover injury in the field? And put some money into my savings each month?

LadyRascasse

Visit site
i'm in the same situation as you but with more exclusions (feet, tendons, respritory ways, skin problems and growths) and i have only claimed for feet problems.

i think i will start a savings account for him and if i get any problems then i will have the money there

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
if `you have exclusions (sounds quite a few) then i would stick that 40 per month into a vet account! if still riding this horse out on the roads you can get full public liability cover with the gold membership of BHS for around 50 pounds ish per annum. and no through choice you wouldnt put a 19 year old through colic surgery. tho most veteran policies only cover vets fees for accident not illness so chances are you wouldnt be covered for colic surgery anyhow. so approx 480 per anumn going into an account and dont forget you always have an excess of 120 or more per incident anyhow , so should cover the minor scrapes! depends on your policy and provider (read small print) whether your horse loves your vet and whether your horse is a drug addict and loves a bandage!

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
I joined the bhs to get 3rd party cover and have started an ISA for Nod (19years cob with ringbone) I put £50 a month into it and it soon adds up- at least if he needs anything then its 100% upto me..

teddyt

Visit site
I wouldnt bother. I made the decision with my horseat that age. The insurance was £300 a year, to insure him for £500 value (thats all they would do), with loads of exclusions. I decided that heaven forbid if he needed colic surgery i would not put him through it anyway.

As a back up you could always put all or some of it in a seperate account

Cample19

Visit site
I save into premium bonds for an emergency for my mare - she has too many exclusions to warrant insuring. And ive won over £100 on them in the last 3 months!

Mike007

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I save into premium bonds for an emergency for my mare - she has too many exclusions to warrant insuring. And ive won over £100 on them in the last 3 months!

[/ QUOTE ]So this is your mares money.....she has £100 in prize money to her name. Simplez
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

L

lilym

I'd take out 3rd party only - either through the BHS or someone like NFU or petplan, as for vet's fees - No way, I'd just put a bit each month away, and if it were something really serious i'd probably PTS. I wouldn't put any horse through colic surgery, certainly not a 19 year old.