If you built an arena for personal use, has it been worth it?

tootsietoo

Visit site
So a few things are coming together which mean that I might just be able to consider the possibility of building an arena. But it would be a huge decision financially and, whilst I am pretty sure I would have made very good use of it in the past year, I am worrying about whether I might end up feeling that I was completely frivolous doing it and that it wasn't really worth the money spent. As background (or justification?!) I have two daughters aged 6 and 7 who are both keen and have a fat hairy pony each on which they do mounted games, pony club rallies and a bit of hunting, and I have a 6 yr old ex racehorse who currently just hunts, but who I would love to do some competitions with. So if we all carry on as we are, then for the next ten years between the three of us we would probably be using an arena every day, and I think it would have been worthwhile building one. However, what if they end up keener on ballet, or hockey, or boys or whatever and give up and it's just me? What if life changes and I can't or don't want to ride? Would it be a real millstone round my neck? Is the maintenance a real hassle? Do you rent it out for a bit of extra cash? Is it possible to sell the surfaces and aggregates and reinstate if you don't need it any more?

Experiences please? Thanks!

TGM

Visit site
We had one built at the end of summer 2013 and it has been invaluable this winter. It is ridden in at least once a day on average plus used for loose schooling, lungeing and turn out when fields are waterlogged. I justified it on the basis that if all of us suddenly gave up riding we would either move house or sell the stables, field and arena. Either way the arena increases the value and appeal of the property.

Jericho

Visit site
Will be interested to hear replies as am badgering my hubbie to let me build one on our land. Our ground is completely unrideable at the moment and has been for a month and likely to stay that way for foreseeable future. I would def ride more with a surface as would my 10 yr old daughter ... Plus we wouldn't be boxing up every weekend to go and use someone else's ménage! I did read somewhere that on an equestrian property adding a ménage could add another 10% onto value of property but that seems rather extravagant! I think if at least you can get back your money it must be worth it.

ETA to say TGM has said it much more succinctly than me!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I was in this dilemma - would it be used? So I went cheap and cheerful, put up the fencing, levelled it, slung down a membrane and filled it up with woodchip. Total cost around £3K IIRC. It did get very well used over several years both for riding three horses, getting a small eventer fit on the lunge and as an all weather turnout. Well enough that I thought about replacing the surface with something better, however other things happened and I moved house to a place with a sand arena (and a grass 20 x 60!).

domsmith

Visit site
Finished mine last weekend. used it everday since, just cause i can.

if you have the money do it. firstly if like me your ground is heavy you cannot get out into the fields. secondly you`ll increase the value of your site considerably.

i have a mad livery woman who will use it and various ponies to drive on it, and my horse, and now i have this i am going to get a cleveland bay as well.

i am full of it gone horse mad.

onlytheponely

Visit site
I honestly don't think I could cope without one now. Had ours for 5 1/2 years and it has got me through the last 2 winters with my sanity mostly intact.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Having a decent arena, with the correct PP, is a big plus for any equestrian property, so even if you ended up using it less than you hoped, it would not be 'dead' money. Many buyers want one already in place, or at least the PP to build one, so it would make your property more desirable if you sell it later.

The maintenance need not be a big hassle. I'm sure that you can sell the surface and aggregate later if you want, but you would get back a fraction of the cost of putting them in.

Your PP will almost certainly have a condition that the arena is for private use only. In practice many people do hire their arena out for a bit of extra cash, especially if the horses hack to yours rather than box in, though this becomes a bit dubious re insurance etc.

As long as you can afford it, I would go for it.

oldie48

Visit site
If your property has land and stables then a decent manege will make it a much more attractive purchase when you come to sell but you may not get your money back if you sell in the next 5 years or so. I've got a sand and rubber school which replaced the existing woodchip, which was breaking down very quickly. i used the argument with my non horsey OH that a rubbish arena devalued the property (we've got 6 stables and 12 acres, so might be attractive to a semi pro as we live in a good competitive area) and if we were going to improve the arena it made sense to do it quickly so I could get maximum benefit. My horse has never been fitter and it's a real luxury having a good surface to ride on even in all this rain. With the right property and keen daughters, I wouldn't hesitate provided I had the money to hand.

Goldenstar

Visit site
OH yes definatly worth it I have had so much fun and pleasure in my playpen .
I would not have horses without one now .

BBH

Visit site
I would add a note if caution to the notion that a school adds value to a property which is that an estate agent said to me it can limit the appeal of the property to only the horsey as the non horsey will weigh up the costs of getting rid. A bit like a swimming pool for one persons attraction it's another's danger with small children.

If you are building an arena I would only do it for your own enjoyment not with the view you'd get your money back.

If you have any doubts I wouldn't do it. small children grow up to enjoy other things and a social life that doesn't always involve ponies / horses.

mulledwhine

Visit site
The lack of any where to ride is putting us both off ( every where too wet and muddy ), I think it would be a great investment, no matter what you do , children go off things in an instant ( as you know :)) but I know mini is not giving up ponies any time soon, I just wish I could persuade the oH to let me have one, if she bails out, I am sure I can put it to good use :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Had mine for the past 14 years, don't think I could keep the Jay boy without. We school, lunge, jump, play silly games plus it is his winter turnout. In fact 2 years ago it was so wet it became mostly his summer turnout too!

Geek

Visit site
I didnt have to do all the drainage etc for mine so didn't have to pay the full whack, definitely been worth it for me but it wouldn't have been pheasible at full price.

Kit-kat

Visit site
I built an arena this summer and every time i go up and ride on it ( every day) I just think how lucky I am to have it! I wish I had done it 5 years ago which would have saved countless hacks in the mud in winter! It is worth every penny thats a fact as the freedom it gives you is immense and you can choose what you do....sometimes I just canter around mine looking at the view and smile!

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
I'm so pleased to read these replies, especially the ones who have said they turn out in theirs in the winter. I'm in the process of getting quotes at the moment and trying to justify the expense with hoping I can turn out in it next year and save the paddocks from turning into a bog!

catkin

Visit site
We've had ours for about 15 years - it has made life easier no doubt. We use ours as turnout as well as for schooling (invaluable for fatty ponies and in sodden wet winters - also rather glad of it when the weather's foggy or we're short of daylight time when it would be rather dangerous to venture onto roads).
Ours is sand, maintenance-wise we grade it when the surface is looking 'lumpy' and rake out the outside track every few days unless the ponies are on it a lot - when they do a lovely job of grading for us! (quiet smallish unshod ponies mind). Take extra care of it when it first goes down they take a while to settle.

Would advise you to not cut corners on construction to begin with - a school is only as good as it's drainage and base. Think carefully when you are most likely to need it - ours was built with wet weather in mind so it can get a bit over-dry in drought conditions (not a problem for us as we have other places to school/turn out then). You will almost certainly need planning permission.

becca1305

Visit site
It was definitely worth it for me, I use mine so much. However my main discipline is eventing, so have more reason to use it for training. Its actually been used less this winter than normal as I've been giving one some down time, and the others hunting so I'm not bothering schooling so much and hacking/ putting on walker to keep fit instead. However its use is increasing again now as I start schooling/jumping ready for event season.

I don't rent it out however as there are liability issues, and since its a private yard we don't have the appropriate insurance to protect our backs that livery yards and the like have. Financially wise it might be worth speaking to an estate agent/ doing a bit of research to try and ascertain if it might add a bit of value to the property so you won't feel quite so guilty about spending out so much on a luxury :).

starryeyed

Visit site
I love our arena, we had it built a few years ago and it has been used every single day since. It is fantastic in the winter - we have put floodlights up and it allows me to ride mad horse daily (what she needs!) after work, I get home at 6:30ish so otherwise would be unable to hack out in the dark as I wouldn't want to ride down our lanes, even if lit like a xmas tree. It is also brilliant in snow, ice etc when otherwise we would be stranded - the drainage in ours is brilliant (really important) and so even when everything around us is frozen solid, it never freezes or floods and the surface remains springy once the initial layer of snow has been cleared which doesn't take a huge amount of time in the grand scheme of things.
It's also great in the summer for the two lami-prones. We are very, very careful with them, and they do have fatty paddocks, but it is a big supportive turnout area for them to potter about in when the little grass that they have access to is frosty for example. I know some people don't agree with turning horses out in arenas but we haven't ever had a problem with it.

It has been especially helpful this year with my broken horse who has required nothing but endless rehab sessions & vet visits. She is currently under strict instructions to lunge daily / long line etc and without our arena I would be doing this in muddy fields in the pitch black after work, and wouldn't last long as she is far too manic to trust in open space!

We have a mixture of sand & rubber, the upkeep is very easy as we just drive round with the roller after a few sessions, and haven't needed to top it up or anything yet. We have been asked in the past whether we would rent it out but politely declined due to insurance reasons - a shame as they seemed lovely and we felt so mean, but you hear so many horror stories.

Definitely worth it!

Lottiedots

Visit site
Like everyone else has said so worth it. I wish we had ours when my daughter was younger, think she would have made so much more of her 1st pony if we had had a safe place for her to have had regular lessons on. Hubby used to joke that all our neighbours had lovely swimming pools whilst we had a large sand pit, but he never regrets it and neither have it. Love it. Go for it but shop around, if you manage it yourself you can save a fair bit of money sourcing everything yourself.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm the voice of dissent it seems.

All weather turnout with concrete around a hay feeder, different surfaces for hoof health and a field shelter = yes, I'd love to have one (I'd love to turn the sand school here into an all weather turnout, but it doesn't belong to me).

Outdoor/indoor school = no, I spend more time maintaining it than riding in it.

So, you need to ask yourself how much will you and your family use it? If the answer is 'lots' then it would be worth your while building one.

LynH

Visit site
I managed for about a year without my arena and ended up not competing in that time at all as I couldn't get my horses fit enough. The ground is either too hard, too wet, too uneven, too poached from previous rides etc etc so pretty much left hacking only.
Since having the arena put it, had it done professionally at considerable expense, I've been able to ride no matter what the weather. It's been much safer for kids on the pony, backing a youngster safely and for lunging and loose schooling. I wouldn't be without it now.

I did have some major groundwork issues with mine a few months after it was built. The clay underneath started to swell causing huge problems and 2/3 of it had to be dug up and the clay underneath dug out and back filled with iron stone and then all the layers relaid. I was very very relieved I had used a good reputable contractor as they came back and fixed it all at their cost. (See my previous thread about in ground watering system for info on what can go wrong)
It is now all fixed and is lovely to ride on. I have Flexiride on top of sand and it needs very little maintenance, just take the edges in and weed around the boards. I do harrow it occasionally but with only a couple of horses on it I really don't need to harrow it as it's quicker just to take over the track.
If you have the opportunity then go for it as you won't wish you don't have it and it'll be easier and safer for the kids when they are riding on their own.

tootsietoo

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I suspect that I posted here for encouragement as I think I knew that most people here would say do it. If I could find www.nonhorseyhusbands.co.uk discussion forum I might get a different viewpoint!

I think it could make a big difference to our enjoyment of the horses, taking us from "just good enough" to performing well. I think I need to take the plunge.

MiniMilton

Visit site
I wouldn't spend a fortune on one if you were to move in the near future. I did spend a fortune, but plan on living here until I'm very old.
I don't regret it for a second. I feel safer for a start riding on my own in an arena rather than slipping around a field. I have it about 8 years. Harrowing can be done with a 4x4 towing an old heavy gate. I now have a quad and proper harrow but got through the first 6-7 yrs with a gate. I clean the Poo's as they happen.

If you were planning on moving at some stage I would still put in a cheaper option. Don't know how people survive without an arena

ETA some people choose to spend loads of money on a nice garden, for me a nice arena is money better spent!

Last edited:

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Had mine for the past 14 years, don't think I could keep the Jay boy without. We school, lunge, jump, play silly games plus it is his winter turnout. In fact 2 years ago it was so wet it became mostly his summer turnout too!

I could really do with one if only for turnout when its wet (of course I'd use it for schooling, jumping, lungeing and all round horsey activities) as my girl can tie up if kept in but gets awful mud fever if kept out

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If I could find www.nonhorseyhusbands.co.uk discussion forum I might get a different viewpoint!
I gave non horsey husband a breakdown of the monthly costs associated with hiring and trailering to the nearest decent arena for hire. I based it on 2 visits per week, and it soon mounts up!

It was a very big investment for us too, and we had to take out a loan for part of the total, but we have never regretted it! Its so convenient having it ready to use at any time, rather than all the hassle of trailering to a hired arena.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I had one put in about 4 years ago - its been worth every penny. My daughter could not have brought on her young eventer without it. Its also been invaluable through the winters when it has been too icy to go out, when time is short etc.

We had a professional company in to do it, and despite the dreadful amounts of rain we have had, we have not even had a tiny puddle or even a soggy patch - its been a life saver.

tootsietoo

Visit site
Absolutely, Tiddlypom, I've been ticking over those costs in my head. Once at week at £15 (and that's only for one horse, not horse + 2 ponies) to nearest arena for hire + diesel for 15 minutes there and back, and it's £1000 a year. And that's only once a week! So over a 15 year period (which is what I am working on, we're not leaving this house for a long long time) it pays for itself (assuming I would manage the build myself and spend £15k). Even over a shorter write-off period of, say, 8 years, you're writing the cost down at just under £2k a year, and to be honest if someone said to me would you pay £2k a year for an arena of your own I would say hell yeah! I would happily take on extra work to earn the approx £200 a month to cover that cost. In fact having an arena would save me so much time that I'm sure I could fit in enough extra work to pay for it!

Ha! My husband is a car nut, and has this thing called "man maths" which is how you financially justify your next car purchase. I think I have just discovered "horsey woman maths".

Wheels

Visit site
LOL

I had an arena put in last year - well actually the work started in 2012 but we did things slowly so that we could pay as we went although we did take a loan to fund part of the school and part of a new access road. That is now cleared so it took us approximately 2 years to pay for something that will last a lot longer and yes, it has been and still is totally worth it. I have used it as a turnout area over the last month or so because the field is waterlogged, I also managed to back and ride away my youngster and am now using it to teach him to jump. None of this would have been possible without it, I live on the side of a hill - the only flat bit is the school!

OWLIE185

Visit site
If you do build one then get it professionally built by a company that has a good reputation and back up. I have seen too many home made arenas that become a total disaster as they have not been built properly. An arena will add value to your property. I also see plenty of abandoned ménages which always look rather sad when they have become overgrown. If you are going to use it then have one built but they are pointless building if one is not going to use them as they do require regular maintenance.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I recently had one built at home and am already reaping the benefits. I schooled one of the ponies for 30 mins this morning. That basically wouldn't have happened without having a school. Our hacking isn't great and I just can't school in the field at the moment after all the rain. So far our drainage seems to be holding up - not a single soggy patch. Here's a slide show I put together of the process if you are interested. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SINduRclYMs