If you could have anything for your yard...

Spottyappy

Visit site
We have solar lighting in the stables, we used to have mains, but when the house was rewired we made the decision not to have the stables redone at the same time (partly cost, partly safety and partly we'd had enough of the disruption!). Our units have a usb port in them, can you find a kettle that will work off a usb port? We can just go into the kitchen to boil our kettle :)
Interesting, FG. We have a usb which we mainly use for the phones, but wasn’t aware they do usb kettles.
Thanks,fab idea, will go ask google!

SEL

Visit site
Right now? Mud free fields, an indoor school and somewhere completely dry to poultice my tetchy horse.

On a better week, just something miraculous that soaks hay for me.

alibali

Visit site
DIY portable hay soaker and drainer for fraction of cost of buying one; take wheelie bin (free -£60-70 depending on your source) drill 1" hole in front approx. 2" from bottom, purchase suitably sized bung from any well known auction site (approx. £2ish) identify which local supermarket uses wire shopping baskets and ask for one which is broken and being thrown out (free). Remove top half of basket and place upside down in wheelie bin providing platform above height of hole to place hay nets on. Place over drain, put bung in hole fill with nets and water soak then remove bung and leave nets in situ to drain before wheeling to destination. Cost me the grand total of £2 and saves so much time and effort - marvellous! I can cram enough hay for overnight for a 15'2 and an 11'2 on a diet in mine.

blood_magik

Visit site
My haymate. It’s a huge time saver when we’ve got 40-odd nets to fill every day.

I’m lucky enough to have an indoor arena, a walker, hot water, solariums with integrated dryers, an industrial washing machine and rug driers - not sure I could cope without them. :eek:

I wish we’d had all-weather turnout pens put in before we moved in - our fields are so wet we’ve had to stop turning out (west cost of Scotland so ridiculously wet this year) and let the horses loose in the arena, which is wrecking the surface and costing a small fortune in diesel for the tractor.

Other than that, I wish my tack room was bigger. Or maybe I should just stop buying stuff. ;)

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
A tractor, those heated rug racks/ rug dryers and an indoor arena. The indoor would have seating, and a heated viewing gallery. A full xc course. Nothing much really.

Darlabean

Visit site
A solarium and a horse walker.

Solarium is easy. Just buy some infra red lamps from eBay for about forty quid and put them up in the stable opposite each other and connect to a power supply .... look on eBay ... search infra red patio garden ....

Last edited:

Cecile

Visit site
Just one more stable suitable for 2 aged pair bonded gelded donkeys who are out there somewhere waiting for me to take them home :)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
yes I guess so re the horse shower-I just use the outside tap for most of those and some of them, I just don't do (i.e. hosing muddy legs, car washing ;)). I suspect if you are hunting etc they are really useful. its not a criticism, just seems like everyone wants them/must have them and there would be absolutely no point in me having one.

the main reason i got it is i got fed up with livery owners letting their horses stand on the hose and put holes in it and I had to replace it.

We have one of those hose booms at the riding centre, and it's much better than having just a hose connected to a tap, like I've had to use in other yards. It stops the horse from standing on the hose, keeps it neat and out of the way and stops it from getting tangled up, means that people can't leave it in a mess...

They look bloody expensive, though. Couldn't find one on Robinsons, but other places seem to want around £180 to £200 for them. For that price, I reckon I could learn to bend and weld stainless tube.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Can I be really sickening & say mine's fairly perfect!

I think my set up is pretty good too.

It has two small yards separated by a large feed/ storage room. It has a shower in the storage room plus 2 heat lamps. Doubt it'll get much use but at least it's there if I need it.

The only thing I don't have is proper metal feed bins. I'm currently using steel rubbish bins which are fine but I'd like proper feed bins really.

The land drainage is the only really big problem and something to look at in the future. There are ditches along the bottom end of the land but it's not doing a thing. The water still just sits on the land in stead of draining away so I suspect we need to dig up the fields and put some proper drainage pipes in somewhere.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
We have one of those hose booms at the riding centre, and it's much better than having just a hose connected to a tap, like I've had to use in other yards. It stops the horse from standing on the hose, keeps it neat and out of the way and stops it from getting tangled up, means that people can't leave it in a mess...
They look bloody expensive, though. Couldn't find one on Robinsons, but other places seem to want around £180 to £200 for them. For that price, I reckon I could learn to bend and weld stainless tube.

My husband made one of these with a hose and fittings ( obviously ), some pipe brackets and the metal tube frame from a child’s swing.
The hardest part is threading the hose through.

Last edited:

Berpisc

Visit site
My old farmyard back. Not perfect but had stables and yards that were useful. Sadly out of date for farming and sold by the landlord to be made into housing. Fair enough but I miss the old yard :'(
Now I could do with some stone in the gateways and an open shed for storage and shelter. Better get buying the lottery ticket ;)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would love a covered mucktrailer with a ramp that someone magically emptied and returned , sadly I have never been able to sell this idea to MrGS.
Some arena mirrors would be nice and I would like a larger tack soon but really I love my yard .
The heated shower area is being done in the new year so I really looking forward to that .

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Best thing we have at our yard is a covered area 20ft by 15ft with a big gate and bark floor they can drop a round bale in and up to three horses will stand around and eat without any mud . Needs a scrape out with the digger once a month to get rid of the muck.
I'm very interested in your bark floor idea - how exactly does that work? Do you have to replace it often, is it slippery and is it expensive?

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
I would love an indoor arena, or any kind of arena. I think I just want my own little yard with a small American barn and lots of post and rail fencing :)

windand rain

Visit site
I would love a covered mucktrailer with a ramp that someone magically emptied and returned , sadly I have never been able to sell this idea to MrGS.
Some arena mirrors would be nice and I would like a larger tack soon but really I love my yard .
The heated shower area is being done in the new year so I really looking forward to that .

Our landlord does the poo trailer so I would buy him a tipper trailer. I would like a barn where they could chose to shelter and maybe a solarium in the corner for winter show baths