If you could hunt with any hunt?

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
Im sure this has been done before, but what hunt would it be?
My dad has promised be 3 days hunting with 3 different packs- ive chosen the ledbury in golden button country, the cottesmoore- would have chosen the quorn (grandfather was secretary) but apparently its "not the same" and im undecided on the 3rd!
So if you were given a days hunting where would you go?!

Merry Crisis

Visit site
I would like to go back to the late 70s early 80s and hunt with the Old Surrey and Burstow with Jack Champion as huntsman and my lovely lover Bridger, his son who whipped in. Always on a nutty point-to-pointer that did a full day!

Fools Motto

Visit site
To get the sheer thrill of jumping big, The Blackmore & Sparkford Vale have a reputation for their hedges!
I'd just love a day with the Beaufort, seems to me to be very grand, and somehow I'd feel special!
I wouldn't say no to the Exmoor though, thats got to beat any hunt for scenery?!?

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
To get the sheer thrill of jumping big, The Blackmore & Sparkford Vale have a reputation for their hedges!
I'd just love a day with the Beaufort, seems to me to be very grand, and somehow I'd feel special!
I wouldn't say no to the Exmoor though, thats got to beat any hunt for scenery?!?

Just had a google- seeing as im going to where the hedges are (VWH country lacks these!!) the blackmore and sparkford vale have some big ones!

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
Ive always wanted to hunt in Ireland but I think thats pushing my present a little far :p I think thatll be something to do on my gap year- hire a horse though!

oakash

Visit site
Seems to be nostalgia for Ronnie Wallace's days at the Heythrop! Just remember he,some would say, made the Exmoor what it is today, with, perhaps, less of the glamour!

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
Seems to be nostalgia for Ronnie Wallace's days at the Heythrop! Just remember he,some would say, made the Exmoor what it is today, with, perhaps, less of the glamour!

oh so true Oakash-i hunted in the Wallace days with the Heythrop and when he moved to Exmoor,second horses mind you,i had the mucky end of the days---

Herne

Visit site
Nonsense!! :D The Heythrop, during the '70s, when Ronnie Wallace ruled with a justified rod of iron!! Halcyon days, and it seems to me, days of innocence.

Heh. I went to the great man's funeral and at the gathering afterwards, I listened to some of the Great and the Good saying exactly that: "When Ronnie was Master of the Heythrop he ruled it with a rod of iron, etc, etc, etc. These young Masters these days don't know they're born..."

They were a bit taken aback when I pointed out that it was actually "God" who didn't know he was born. When he went to the Heythrop, back in the fifties, he could clear the entire country by talking to two Dukes and an Earl (figuratively, not literally), he had no Motorways, no Antis, no shoots to speak of and - most importantly of all - 90% of the Farmers over whose land he was hunting were sitting on horses behind him.

Piece of piddle compared to running a hunt these days....

Last edited:

Herne

Visit site
Incidentally, in answer to the OP's question, however, the Cheshire and the Cheshire Forest now have some of the best Hunt Country, when it comes to old-fashioned grass & hedges...

RunToEarth

Visit site
Incidentally, in answer to the OP's question, however, the Cheshire and the Cheshire Forest now have some of the best Hunt Country, when it comes to old-fashioned grass & hedges...

Same, Cheshire forest have some wonderful hedges, I would love to have another day with them. Also Beaufort as I never made it out with them when I was at Ciren. I would love to hunt in Ireland, but given the dykes in Blankney country worry me sometimes, I doubt I'd cope with the drains over there!!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com

Yes, but look at the roads that have now decimated the Forest country, they have spoilt it a huge amount now.

You should come 'next door' to the Wynnstay for decent hedges; we don't call some the Grand National for nothing. :D

oakash

Visit site
Great fun to read everyone's responses! Reminds me a bit of the very history of hunting - back in the railway age of the 1850's for example, when many foxhunters were hailing the coming of the railways as the certain death of hunting! Omnia mutantur, nihil interit!

Visit site
I already hunt with what is often thought of as 'the best country' (Cottesmore) so I'm a bit spoilt! ;)

Howver, if I could choose three days ut with three different hunts I would love a day out in Exmoor as I have heard it is meant to be fabulous country. Also, a day out with the Quorn (to compare it to our country!) and the VWH seem to be quite popular so I wouldn't find a day out with them too. :)

PickledOnions

Visit site
I hunt with the Quorn, and I have to say of all the places I have been there is nothing which compares with it! I'm very very spoilt in that I am based in big hedge country and I love it, I don't think I would want to go and hunt with another pack tbh!

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
I already hunt with what is often thought of as 'the best country' (Cottesmore) so I'm a bit spoilt! ;)

Howver, if I could choose three days ut with three different hunts I would love a day out in Exmoor as I have heard it is meant to be fabulous country. Also, a day out with the Quorn (to compare it to our country!) and the VWH seem to be quite popular so I wouldn't find a day out with them too. :)

Very jealous! what meet would you suggest for the Cottesmoore? well have to have a look at the meet card :D
VWH is quite good- depends what day you go out on (obviously). Our huntsmen works the hounds so we do usually get a few good runs. :)

Solo1

Visit site
Think I'll stick with Wynnstay, fab runs, good jumping and lovely people. Also sometimes a few names out so I can act all starstruck!

RunToEarth

Visit site
I am gunning for a day with the Quorn this season, I have never been. I love being with the Blankney, I really do, but sometimes I would just love the occasional dry stone wall. I suppose if I could hunt anywhere for a day it would be Rockwood Harriers 20years ago, I love the country back up home, when my parents were hunting apparently it was a cracking hunt.

JenHunt

Visit site
I'm really not sure - I love Bilsdale country, and have enjoyed some good days in the past with the Hurworth, the Bedale, The York North, and the West of Yore. I had two fabulous days in Ireland with the Roscommon and the East Galway a couple of years ago.

But, much as I enjoy jumping, I think I'm too chicken to tackle the big hedges of the BSV, the Cottesmore or the Quorn.

Besides, I think its the people rather than the country that make a hunt worth visiting.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I'm really not sure - I love Bilsdale country, and have enjoyed some good days in the past with the Hurworth, the Bedale, The York North, and the West of Yore. I had two fabulous days in Ireland with the Roscommon and the East Galway a couple of years ago.

But, much as I enjoy jumping, I think I'm too chicken to tackle the big hedges of the BSV, the Cottesmore or the Quorn.

Besides, I think its the people rather than the country that make a hunt worth visiting.

Jen I didn't know you were in Skilbeck country! Small world, Bedale is also on my list of to do.
I agree it is the people, and the social life, that makes a hunt great fun.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
I am gunning for a day with the Quorn this season, I have never been. I love being with the Blankney, I really do, but sometimes I would just love the occasional dry stone wall. I suppose if I could hunt anywhere for a day it would be Rockwood Harriers 20years ago, I love the country back up home, when my parents were hunting apparently it was a cracking hunt.

My dad says the same thing about the Quorn, but I think going back in time is a little much for my dad to organise. Ive never been out with the Quorn either- i wasn't allowed to until I got a decent horse that could really jump and was 17! When my dad was my age, his hunt subscription was £40 i think! :eek: