If you could make one yard rule what would it be?

Equine_Dream

Visit site
This seems really unfair to me? I really don't see anything wrong with booking the school at a certain time to have a lesson if that's something the yard offers..surely you must know in advance when it's booked? We often have our school booked during peak time after work for lessons at my yard, everyone knows in advance and works around it. I'd be upset if I couldn't have lessons with my preferred instructor just because of other liveries having tantrums.

My rules would be pick up poo after yourself, don't leave horses out alone and no know it alls.

This! Sorry but I dont see the issue. You have to share the facilities, so surely not being able to ride 1 or 2 nights a week in winter is hardly a major issue? I dont think its fair to make someone miss out on a lesson with their instructor because you want to ride. Why couldn't one or two evenings a week be set aside for private lessons?

My rule: no bitching!

spider

community.webshots.com
I never understand why people cannot share the arena when having a lesson. So long as people are considerate and 'give way' to the person being instructed it should work.

acorn92x

Visit site
Parents to keep children under control at all times (EG: Tell the little darling off when they come thundering down the yard, screaming and shouting, scaring the living daylights out of my horse!). I have had so many dangerous/annoying situations that have been caused by children not being kept under control by my parents.

Last edited:

acorn92x

Visit site
I never understand why people cannot share the arena when having a lesson. So long as people are considerate and 'give way' to the person being instructed it should work.

I disagree. I would never expect to share an arena with someone who is paying money for a private lesson. Why should they have me and my horse in there when they are paying for the instructors time? People need to have a bit of common sense and understanding regarding this - if you don't have lessons and resent the time that others spend in the school with an instructor then think about it from the other side of the coin. How would you feel in their shoes? Fair enough if you'd feel happy to share the school but not everyone would and as I've said previously, the person having the lesson is actually paying for it so imo, they are entitled to use the school on their own.

madlady

Visit site
Sorry. I can't agree with you there. Working people can only ride after work and during the dark winter months hacking after work isn't an option. All pay for use of the facilities so why should several people not be able to ride because one person wants a lesson.

My last yard had a rule that meant that people could only book the school for sole use outside of 'peak' hours. This meant that the working people weren't prevented from using the school in the evenings during the winter when hacking wasn't an option.

Hacking/not hacking in winter is surely a choice and not something that is forced? I hack all winter with no issues :)

Yard rules - don't take/use stuf that isn't yours!

twiggy2

Visit site
This! Sorry but I dont see the issue. You have to share the facilities, so surely not being able to ride 1 or 2 nights a week in winter is hardly a major issue? I dont think its fair to make someone miss out on a lesson with their instructor because you want to ride. Why couldn't one or two evenings a week be set aside for private lessons?

My rule: no bitching!

why cant someone have a lesson if there is another horse in the school at the same time? surely it is better to work with/through distractions?

twiggy2

Visit site
I disagree. I would never expect to share an arena with someone who is paying money for a private lesson. Why should they have me and my horse in there when they are paying for the instructors time? People need to have a bit of common sense and understanding regarding this - if you don't have lessons and resent the time that others spend in the school with an instructor then think about it from the other side of the coin. How would you feel in their shoes? Fair enough if you'd feel happy to share the school but not everyone would and as I've said previously, the person having the lesson is actually paying for it so imo, they are entitled to use the school on their own.

I pay for the use of facilities too and I have lessons with others in the school, at times there will be 2 of us in the school having lessons with different instructors at the same time, if someone is riding a horse that is flipping out for any reason I am happy to give them time to sort the issue without us in there too but for a lesson no, we all know the manege etiquitte so I really don't see a problem

Luci07

Visit site
This seems really unfair to me? I really don't see anything wrong with booking the school at a certain time to have a lesson if that's something the yard offers..surely you must know in advance when it's booked? We often have our school booked during peak time after work for lessons at my yard, everyone knows in advance and works around it. I'd be upset if I couldn't have lessons with my preferred instructor just because of other liveries having tantrums.

My rules would be pick up poo after yourself, don't leave horses out alone and no know it alls.
Don't agree with you. If you are working full time, pay to have your horse on part or full livery, then why should you forego your riding for someone else's convenience? And also, many people will have planned what they can do with time restraints so someone waltzing in and effectively blocking out an evening is not on. You may only be able to ride on xx nights and losing one is ridiculous. If you make this rule, upfront, then there is never an issue. Weekends are different. You have other options to choose then.

Goldenstar

Visit site
One of the yards I know charges liveries to use the school on their own .
The rule is if it's not booked on the board you may use it .
To get sole use you book it and pay for it .

Equine_Dream

Visit site
why cant someone have a lesson if there is another horse in the school at the same time? surely it is better to work with/through distractions?

Well it would depend on the size of the school. Personally I wouldn't intrude on someone else's lesson that they had paid for. If the school is big enough i may ask if they would mind if we had half each to work in. But I would still ask. Equally I would appreciate someone doing the same for me.
I also don't see the issue if you can't school your horse for one or two evenings a week. I myself have a very bouncy hyper 4 year old that goes crazy if I dont keep her in regular work. However I still don't ride her everyday and shes fine.
Being on a livery yard is about compromise. If it were me I would allocate 1/2 nights a week for people to book private lessons. Others may then use the school the rest of the time

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Don't agree with you. If you are working full time, pay to have your horse on part or full livery, then why should you forego your riding for someone else's convenience? And also, many people will have planned what they can do with time restraints so someone waltzing in and effectively blocking out an evening is not on. You may only be able to ride on xx nights and losing one is ridiculous. If you make this rule, upfront, then there is never an issue. Weekends are different. You have other options to choose then.

But you are expecting someone to miss out on their lesson for your convenience!? That person may only be able to ride/have a lesson on x evening. Sorry I think youre being unfair.

Luci07

Visit site

Going back to my previous post...if you work full time, say London and have other commitements, you will plan to ride a minimum of 3 nights a week to keep your horse ticking off, preferably 4. If you then come down and school is booked at premium time and you have made time in your diary, then yes, it's annoying and inconvenient. I (and others) don't have the luxury of deciding on a whim whether to ride or not. Amazing how when this option wasn't allowed, then people suddenly didn't mind sharing the school or booking earlier. There could be 4 or 5 people late people every evening..and like most things in life, a little consideration would go a long way. Those is us who would drive down after work and then have a 45 minute drive home again were not best pleased to lose the facilities. We complained. We were heard, it was sorted.

Equine_Dream

Visit site

Going back to my previous post...if you work full time, say London and have other commitements, you will plan to ride a minimum of 3 nights a week to keep your horse ticking off, preferably 4. If you then come down and school is booked at premium time and you have made time in your diary, then yes, it's annoying and inconvenient. I (and others) don't have the luxury of deciding on a whim whether to ride or not. Amazing how when this option wasn't allowed, then people suddenly didn't mind sharing the school or booking earlier. There could be 4 or 5 people late people every evening..and like most things in life, a little consideration would go a long way. Those is us who would drive down after work and then have a 45 minute drive home again were not best pleased to lose the facilities. We complained. We were heard, it was sorted.

I underdstand some people have other commitments so riding takes planning, and I can understand it being annoying if it was happening almost every night of the week. However I still think its unfair to expect someone to give up having a lesson with their instructor because you want to ride. I know if I had an instructor who could only teach at x time, and I had to miss it because of other people kicking up a fuss Id be a little miffed.
Sharing a yard is about compromise and it doesn't seem like you are prepared to at all.

Lizzie66

Visit site

If the prime times were being booked up by people every night of the week then I could maybe understand your point of view.

But if its one person one night of the week for an hour then I think you are being extremely self centred. Why can't you ride an hour later that one night ?

Why should your convenience be more important than theirs ?

Equine_Dream

Visit site
If the prime times were being booked up by people every night of the week then I could maybe understand your point of view.

But if its one person one night of the week for an hour then I think you are being extremely self centred. Why can't you ride an hour later that one night ?

Why should your convenience be more important than theirs ?

This is what I was trying to say but Lizzie put it much better :)

Deltaflyer

Visit site
So, if you were at a yard with many liveries and one school, you all pay for use of the school as part of your livery, you work full time so can only ride after work during the week and have a limited window in which you can ride each evening as most full time workers do, but several of your fellow liveries have lessons booked each night and expect sole use of the school, you would happily accept that you wouldn't be able to ride your horse all week. Because that's what could happen if people don't want to share.

I expect to share a school at a livery yard and see it as a bonus if it's empty when I want to use it but I certainly would never expect sole use during 'peak' times. As long as everyone follows the rules of the school and respects each other's space there shouldn't be issues sharing.

Pippity

Visit site

At my yard, the issue isn't weeknight evenings but weekends! Weeknight evenings, it's very rare for me to even see anybody else when I'm up.

The yard has an online booking system, so it's very easy to see whether or not the school's available and plan accordingly. It solves SO MANY problems. (It would solve even more problems if it was more mobile-friendly and the yard had better phone coverage but...)

Equine_Dream

Visit site
So, if you were at a yard with many liveries and one school, you all pay for use of the school as part of your livery, you work full time so can only ride after work during the week and have a limited window in which you can ride each evening as most full time workers do, but several of your fellow liveries have lessons booked each night and expect sole use of the school, you would happily accept that you wouldn't be able to ride your horse all week. Because that's what could happen if people don't want to share.

I expect to share a school at a livery yard and see it as a bonus if it's empty when I want to use it but I certainly would never expect sole use during 'peak' times. As long as everyone follows the rules of the school and respects each other's space there shouldn't be issues sharing.

I believe lizzie said, and I agreed, that if it was a regular thing almost every evening then we could understand. However 1 or two evenings is a different story.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
When I was on a busy yard... no booking of the only ménage after working hours! Would cause big rows to have someone one has kindly booked themselves a lesson in "prime" time and everyone else has to wait outside. Particularly when everyone has worked a full day and just wants to work their horse and get home. Eventually the howling became so loud on that one that the YO had to apply that rule! the argument back was that was the only time x trainer could teach. My response was that neither I nor other liveries should have to forego riding for someone else's convenience. We were all short of time - that or put up and let others ride at the same time. Sorry, but at 7.00 at night in the winter, you really don't want to be sitting around for an hour waiting for someone else.

When we were on a largish yard we had a booking system. We had about 2 hours several nights a week that were "free school" when anyone could use the school and you didn't book lessons in that time. The "free time" days could change from week to week to accommodate people who needed to book specific times on specific days. Outside of freetime you could book your hour or half hour when you wanted so long as you booked 24 hours in advance. That way you knew when you couldn't ride at least a day and usually a week in advance.