if you could no longer care for your horse..

weesophz

www.facebook.com
what would you do? just a curiosity really, speaking with a couple of other liveries today and one said she would have hers pts as she doesnt think hers is very "sellable" and another said she would have hers pts as he was probably too old to sell and it wouldnt be fair.

in reality im facing a tough decision in that if i want to move out from my parents house, i woudnt be able to afford to care for fox aswell. at least not til i get properly on my feet. I really wouldnt want to sell him, not for my own benefit but because he went through the wars before i got him, and i want to be his forever mummy and know he will always be cared for. i also dont think he is very sellable as he has a lot of problems due to his being through the wars, even if he is a star in my eyes. id also hate the thought of having him pts :(

what would you do?

budley95

Visit site
By the sounds of your situation Op I'd consider full loan to a local home with an air tight contract! Most loans do work out. It's just the horror stories that make their way into cyberspace.

Personally with Bud I'd pts as he is stupidly particular and at the moment has taken to tanking with the lad that rides him for me. There's nothing wrong with him physically. Had it checked and he doesn't do it with me. Watched him ride enough as well. He's just a twit sometimes who if I hadn't have brought him probably would be "buddy burgers". My little sisters 12.2hh little troll has been out on full loan for the last 3 years and he's loving life. As is the grandma who shares him with her 4 year old grandson! There is usually an option out there, its just taking time to search for it.

weesophz

www.facebook.com
By the sounds of your situation Op I'd consider full loan to a local home with an air tight contract! Most loans do work out. It's just the horror stories that make their way into cyberspace.

Personally with Bud I'd pts as he is stupidly particular and at the moment has taken to tanking with the lad that rides him for me. There's nothing wrong with him physically. Had it checked and he doesn't do it with me. Watched him ride enough as well. He's just a twit sometimes who if I hadn't have brought him probably would be "buddy burgers". My little sisters 12.2hh little troll has been out on full loan for the last 3 years and he's loving life. As is the grandma who shares him with her 4 year old grandson! There is usually an option out there, its just taking time to search for it.

ive been thinking about that, but yeah i have been freaking out over all the horror stories i hear, i couldnt put fox through that!
that sounds sensible, i just want to do best by my boy. haha love the sound of 12.2 troll, sounds like my old pony :D

my horse would be pts, no questions asked. my ponies would go out on loan but i dont' think i'd sell them, ever!

what would be your reasons behind pts? sorry just curious as i wonder if people would judge others for pts if there is nothing seriously ill with the horse. i wouldnt as it is totally owners choice and theyve obviously thought long and hard about it

Littlelegs

Visit site
Mines 24 but a very full up 14.2, healthy & a perfect schoolmistress, I could loan her within a few miles or even from our yard without too much effort, I've been asked often enough. Really though as she's cheap to keep I'd find a sharer & charge a higher amount to cover all her cost & include lots of free lessons. I would never sell, I'd pts first.
Daughters pony I would never take from her, she adores her. But mega cheap to keep, & unlike most good doers can manage on good grazing as she isn't food orientated. Wouldn't ever sell her though, if daughter wasn't obsessed I'd consider loan if I was forced to.

Enfys

Visit site
Depends on so many things, but I have been there, done that and have had a horse pts because I couldn't guarantee his future. Every case has to be considered on individual circumstances.

Visit site
yes it would be awful.

I'd try loan, but would never sell.

If it really really came to it, I'd pts.

But as we have our own land, hopefully it won't ever happen.

RunToEarth

Visit site
If it were financial difficulties, they could be sold easily, they are all well mannered horses, and if we were struggling for money we would worry they could come back from their loan home at any moment.

If if were time constraints they would probably go on loan, if they come back short notice you learn to cope.

I did sell my beloved horse last year, he wasn't getting on with the job i needed him to do and was getting bored. I put him up for sale, had some fab offers from really unsuitable homes and finally found the perfect home - selling a horse you love is very difficult, was the most grown up decision i have made but one i stand by, and he has a wonderful home, it just took a while to find it. I think a lot of people have to sell after leaving parents/uni but it isn't the end.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I sold one and loaned the other out as felt he was too old to sell and that after over ten years I owed him better than selling and better Than a bullet.

The mare is competing dressage and hacking with her new owner and the old man is back with me and coming back into work ;)

flirtygerty

Visit site
My lad, who I would'nt sell for a lottery win, would go down South to my daughter, along with his trailer and tow car, the 18 yr old mare, who is arthritic would be pts, she is so content with us it would be unfair on her to pass her on.
My lad is quite a character and I would hate to think of him being passed from home to home, being older (but not ancient) I like to have a plan B in place

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
it really does depend on your horse. I'd loan him if that was possible, only reason i would even think about pts, if that he was unmanageable, or in pain. there is always someone looking for your horse/pony..
I'm stressed to the gills trying to find a pony on loan for my son. Harder than you think. Maybe your horse might fill a gap for someone that is looking for that kind of horse. xx

Como

Visit site
How about retirement livery? It costs from around £140 upwards per month for full grass livery, with all care provided including teeth and feet trimming. Just vet bills on top (just!!), My horse is retired and it is a great service.

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
I would put him out on full loan. he is only 9 and while a bit quirky nothing an experienced person cant handle and would have a great life ahead of him

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
In your shoes, I'd loan. There are great loanees out there. On my yard there are 6 or 7, all taking the best possible care of their loan horses. Do make sure you have a good contract. inspect the yard they will use, take up references etc. Good luck.

Burmilla

Visit site
Current lovely horse: gift to his groom, who adores him, rides him better than I do, and has the facilities to keep him at home. She knows of this plan (i have a dangerous job, so never know when it might be needed), and is ok with it.
Already have the norty pony on loan to friends, having a truly fun time: he would go to them, again as a gift.

riding_high

Visit site
i've been judged for my decision but if people don't like it then tough luck on them, he's my horse not theirs.
he is 20yrs old, got arthritis in his shoulders and 3 legs, a bit dodgy on his hind leg due to build up of scar tissue after blowing his tendon twice before i got him so has the look of a lame horse sometimes. needs to have a stable so that he can come in and rest or he gets lame, needs to go out or he gets lymphangitis, needs to bandaged on all 4 legs, got liver damage so when he gets ill it wipes him out completely and we always think this could be the last time the vet comes out etc. he's not a companion horse which is a shame as he doesn't cost much to keep weight on but he doesn't like being left alone. he's also got alot of wear and tear in his DDFT on the fore leg.

if i sold him then he would end up being ridden hard because when you see him he looks amazing and you forget his problems and get carried away.

Goldenstar

Visit site
With three of mine I know they would quickly and easily find new good homes as peole often ask me to let them know if i want to part with them, the one who would problematic I know who he would be happy with but if that did not work I would PTS .

weesophz

www.facebook.com
Just pondering on your situation OP - do you own your horse or did your parents buy him?

my parents bought me my first pony about 11 years ago now, when we sold him the money was used to get fox, but i pay pay for fox myself which is why i know if i move into my own place for the first while i wouldnt be able to afford him due to deposits etc, i only get paid minimum wage so i manage okayish just now. but yes i suppose in a way my parents did buy him!

thanks for your replies everyone. im glad you lot have it all figured out! i just dont have a clue what to do!

Ahrena

Visit site
I have 3. 2 would be pts - 1 with severe navicular and is retired, the other has a rearing problem and only suitable as a companion but she isn't particulary easy to care for.

My ridden boy would be put on loan - he's 15 with 1 eye but safe as houses and competing at a decent affiliated level, someone could have buckets of fun whilst I sort myself out.

aimsymc

Visit site
Mine would be sold, she's 10 years old fit and healthy and useful. The thought of pts a healthy horse because people think their the only ones who will love and care for them is ridiculous Imo! I obviously feel completely different about very elderly/lame/ill/dangerous animals. In your situation Op loaning sounds like a good idea :)

tessybear

Visit site
Well Tess would be sold i think if we couldnt care for her any longer, she is fit healthy a horse suitable for novice-experienced so would be easy to sell. However with trouble on the way now it would be difficult for us to give her away with a foal at foot, so would probably struggle :eek:

riding_high

Visit site
in your case i'd either go for a sharer or loan until you are better sorted with finances and know what's what, maybe the person who shares/loans would want to buy him further down the line if you still couldn't manage financially.

Hot_Toddy7

Visit site
Ok, can I hijack a thread quickly with a question. WWYD in this situ.... 20yo WB gelding, rescued 3 years ago, has unsoundness issues due to an eventing accident, happy to be a light hack etc, but I don't have time to ride him at all so he is pretty much retired. He is quite underweight and I have tried and tried to get weight on him to no real avail. At the moment, he has constant access to haylage, and gets 2 hard feeds a day (1 scoop conditioning cube, 1 1/2 hi-fi 1 SB with oil). Had bloods done and all was clear, teeth & worming fine. At the moment he costs as much to keep as the 2 TB's put together. I can stretch myself to continue to afford to keep him, throw food at him to no avail, but not have the time for my other 2, or PTS. Is what he is currently being fed, unreasonably expensive for a field ornament, especially as he is still underweight? Think I've worded this all wrong :( :( :(

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd loan Frank out locally to someone I knew on the basis that I probably know a couple of people who would happily have him despite his age (20) issues. I'd cover his vets bills and his supplements and poss trimming and decide if/when it be better for him to be PTS.

Trouble is op if you loan you have to be prepared to have them back at short notice and you might not manage that financially so it might be better to sell.