if you didnt have a horse (horses) what would you do?

shugmx

Visit site
Have sleep-ins and spend money on nice clothes and nights out. But I am sure in a few weeks i would be very bored.

Enfys

Visit site
Move.

It is a recurring theme.

Everytime I am horseless I move, 3500 miles last time :)

If I had none now?

I would be living in Central America, in fact I am on count down to that now.
As soon as the full military pension kicks in - 4 years of Canadian winters to go.

Last edited:

catembi

Visit site
I would buy another horse! Seriously, the only thing that is stopping me buying another horse atm is that I already have one (long story...ulcers...KS...can't seem to get him right) but I can't buy another as not enough spare money to run 3 & not enough land.

I can't imagine not having *any* horses & really hope I never have to find out what that's like!

T x

Orca

Visit site
I grew up with horses (literally, my parents were grooms too and instructors!). I lived, breathed and eventually worked with horses. Then I lost my nerve and went from everything horse, to zero horse contact.

I floated around, quite literally not knowing what to do with myself until I got back into them. Horses are all I know, all I've ever known and although I tried new things, nothing filled the gap.

I'll never be horseless again! It ruined me. It might sound melodramatic but they are my life, always have been (aside from that horrible void) and I hope, always will be.

Last edited:

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Be miserable. I'd have to volunteer for the RDA as not being around horses would make me even more vile to be around!!! I'd end up with a divorce too I think as hubby would suffer horribly. :p

BSL

Visit site
It actually happened to me. My beloved horse had to be PTS because of colic. I had promised my sailing obsessed husband, that he would be my last (thinking I had years:() I did three months, as "a lady who lunched", spa days, nice nails, disposable income... I hated it. Had big chat with lovely hubby who ended up buying the beautiful boy I have today. Now, no time for lunch, spa days.. much too busy ..nice nails..for special occasions only..disposable income? not that often :):) Wouldn't have it any other way. Have done horses for 45 years.. not stopping yet.:)

Kitei

Visit site
Sit around all day in never-ending bordem.
That's pretty much what I'm doing now. The boys are 60+ miles away (so technically I'm not really horseless, but close enough) and I'm going stir crazy. I hadn't really thought of how much time they took up before, but in a good way.

Flame_

Visit site
It actually happened to me. My beloved horse had to be PTS because of colic

Me too :(

I almost immediately obsessively searched every potential website for another horse. I know many people have to wait a while but I feel pointless and hopeless without a horse and even though, of course, if it were possible I'd rather have the one I lost, I always think its better to get on with finding a new friend than just be miserable with nothing to do. The only good thing about having no horse is finally and briefly having money in the bank.

I've bought another horse and am poor and happy again.

Cowpony

Visit site
If I couldn't ride I'd buy a lorry and hire myself out to take horses to shows; steward at higher level shows; do a course in SJ course-building; learn to be a dressage judge; improve my photography skills and take pictures at shows; learn to make rugs......So much to do, so little time!

Evie91

Visit site
My horse was PTS in March this year. Didn't want to rush into anything but I was bored! Nothing else appealed -it was suggested I join a gym,class, go running. I've friend whose sew,craft etc. I just couldn't get excited about any of that.
I don't like shopping, i only have so many days annual leave a year so not as if I could go on many more holidays. I put on weight.
I ended up feeling really depressed - felt I was just going to work for no reward (apart from actually being able to live!) - horse for me had almost been my reward for working hard! My husband didn't like seeing me so low either. I am now happily sharing a friends horse three days a week. So far, so perfect for me - do extra long hours four days a week to have Friday's off - so wouldn't have chance to ride on those days (sometimes have to work from 9am through to ten,11,midnight).
My parents were particular unhappy as they thought I should have got it out of my system - I'm 40 so not much chance of that now!!

maisie06

Visit site
I'd probably travel more as wouldn't have the worry of getting someone to do the horses. I would be very bored in the evenings though...

Identityincrisis

Visit site
When my old boy was around he was retired for 1-2 years before he was PTS and as I didn't have a horse to ride I became a gym bunny, I have to say I loved it, and the body I got! But now I have the youngster I have given up the gym and love riding again. I couldn't be without horses, I have sacrificed a lot to have them in my life

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I often wonder the same thing, I was down to just one horse about 10 years ago and did seriously think about selling up our small holding and putting my mare in full livery but then realised that it just wasn't going to happen so bought my welshie and since then have bought three minis and have a friend's retired mare living here as well. So have a little herd of 6 and live it.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Right now I wouldn't mind that much. I love my boys and they'll be with me until the end of their days, but for me, owning horses for decades, plus working with them, has actually become a chore.

I've quit my horsey job, and I've vowed that once my horses are no more, I won't replace them.

I have another hobby (singing), which is my alter-ego, and being clean, warm and dry is so much more appealing to me nowadays!

My husband and kids are sceptical, as they know how much horses have been a part of my life over the years (I am 50+), but I'm a fairly decisive person, and my mind is made up. Plus it could be years away, as my little horse is "only" 17.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
If I didn't have a horse I'd get fat, bored, miserable and lethargic (That's what happened to me when I had a six year break from horses).

flirtygerty

Visit site
I would probably have a tidy house, car and garden, could afford a few luxuries, but wouldn't be a patch on hearing my lot whinney hello at 6 am when I wave at them in the field, as soon as they hear my front door squeak, heads come up for the morning wave, god knows what my neighbor thinks, time to go for my nightly fix and say goodnight

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I actually quite enjoyed my horseless time - I unexpectedly found myself horseless after losing my old horse and had a two year gap before getting my current boy.

I travelled a bit (well, went on more holidays), I got into running and hiking, I was able to do far more city breaks, more shopping and lived more of a civilised lifestyle - I even went to art events!

Ovbiously, I now have my horse & love the lifestyle it brings so I did miss it but I do still I try to keep an active 'unhorsey' lifestyle too. I question my sanity when the two worlds collide - I'm the only one out of my group of my friend's that have to drag their hungover self out of bed to ride and see to my horse after a night on the tiles :D

Greylegs

Visit site
I would spend more time at my other passion ... Photography. As for having more clothes and nicer nails, well, maybe. But camera gear is very expensive too so still might not be able to afford the girly stuff. Might travel a lot more and might move house too. I'm not sure I could manage without my horse fix though so would have to find some way of building that into my life. Awful thought really ..... <<< ... Goes off to pour another glass of wine to drown out the thought .... !!>>>