if you didnt have a horse (horses) what would you do?

Leo Walker

Visit site
I would have taken up all the offers I had to learn to work my dog, and I would have pursued the whippet racing with him. He did incredibly well even with numpty old me training him. I had a fair few pretty serious cash offers as the old whippet men all thought he was something special and used to roll their eyes and tut at me that he was a spoilt pet that slept in the bed :lol: And to be fair the hairs on the back of my neck used to stand up when he accelerated and it literally looked like the other dogs were stood still. I still sometimes think what if, but I doubt he cares! Hes also too old now at 4yr old. But if I had to give up the horses, I would definitely do more of that! I loved it :)

Feathered

Visit site
I often wonder what people without horses do with all that spare time they have... And as far as I can discern from people at work all they seem to do is housework so what's the point in that!!?!

Anyway... I think I'd read more... Watch more films... I doubt I'd do more housework... ;)

{97702}

Visit site
I knew I would have to sell my boy due to finances a couple of years ago, so I made sure I took up another hobby (running) before I sold him - I've made some lovely friends, and I love my running, but the thing that really made me happy was buying another horse last May :) I am always amazed at how addictive horses are.......

chillipup

Visit site
I'd end up divorced, put on weight, get bored of my own company, have a ridiculously clean and tidy house, get a relatively decent sort of car (the inside of which would stay wonderfully clean, free from hay and straw) probably start drinking far too much wine, become a grumpy old woman, then sign up to the HHO forum...Oh good grief, wait a minute - that is me, I am that b***dy woman - NOW!!!:( - How on earth did that happen?? Life I guess... sadly no more ponios for me I'm afraid but I really do love hearing all about yours, which keeps me both entertained and somewhat in the loop, albeit on the peripheral. Thanks guys, I'm glad I found you. :)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I have no idea. Mine is turned away for the "winter" and I'm actually wondering if she ought to start working in January.. I am so bored! All I've done is eat and work!!

dibbin

Visit site
I genuinely don't know. Apart from 2.5 years after Dylan was PTS I've had my own horse on DIY livery since I was 15 (I'm 27 now). I think sleep would be high on the agenda ...

BuzzyBea

Visit site
We've been without a horse since having our boy PTS 4 months ago. Was a huge shock to the system time wise and took some getting used to.
On a positive note I have beautiful regularly manicured nails, don't have to rush when going on a night out, am always clean and tidy and the interior of my car is pristine!!
On the other hand I miss the day to day contact, the competing - not the same when we watch somone else, the friendship from the yard and simply being around your best pal.
Luckily I have had the good sense to put away all of my livery money for a jumping saddle in the future - we are in the process of looking for a new horse as we speak!! One thing that surprised me was that I have probably done less housework as rather than only have ten mins to hoover, clean the bath, change the sheets, bleach the toilet.........I now have loads of time so its easy to say I'll do it later!!!

matt_m

Visit site
My attempts to lead a horseless lifestyle have always been unsuccessful. They seem to find me again, one way or another. I don't really have any other major hobbies that take up so much time, so I guess I would just shop more, eat more and be lazy more? Nice lay ins on days off and the like.

I have gone from having multiple to the one, and this is definitely the way forward for me now, as although it seems I can't live without horses, I do enjoy having non horsey time too and sometimes it can get too much.

only_me

Visit site
I'd have most likely have played proper club netball. I also assume I would have done more traveling as would have had more money to spend :p

maxapple

Visit site
I've had a break for 16 months so far after retiring my horse (he lives at retirement livery now) and having my other one PTS on the same day. I could face getting another one and even riding friends horses didn't feel right for me. I took up running, did two half marathons and do lots of yoga. We have been on lots of holidays and I have money in my bank (rather than an overdraft each month) for the first time in years.

I'm toying with the idea of going to a riding school a couple of times and month to enjoy riding again - I dont want to commit to a share just yet and won't buy my own again any time soon. Maybe in the future I'll own again.

I do have to make sure I exercise to avoid putting weight on (even with the running and yoga) - it's amazing how many calories you burn mucking out and riding that you don't realise until you stop.

Visit site
Been thinking about this lately, as I am getting on in years and will eventually not be able to do the work myself and could have a horse on livery if necessary. However, that would defeat the whole point of making me get up in the morning. I hate housework, do the minimum I can get away with to keep the house hygienic ! I have no other hobbies, have not an artistic bone in my body, don't sew or knit, tried various gyms and hated it! Not a lady wot lunches, except twice a month. Will hang on to my horse like grim death !

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
I have ME and often think I should give up as I find it such hard work doing the horses, however I'm also very aware that the horses are the one thing that keep me going....
I have no idea what I'd do without a horse, I hate shopping, doing lunch etc, I have 4 dogs who I could take on even more walks than they do already but I don't enjoy walking as much as I do riding!
Mind you, having just been unceremoniously splatted off my horse as she spooked, did a 180 and put in a huge buck, I have to say that without a horse I would be walking a lot better, not gasping in agony and I'm fairly sure I'd be able to lift my right arm without it feeling as if someone has sledge hammered me in the ribs...... :p

Hexx

Visit site
I lost my boy in March this year after 15 years together.

Money wise - I managed to put away £850 per month in savings that would normally have been spent on livery, supplements and other horsey bits and bobs!!!!!

Luckily, this was put to good use in August as I purchased a new property in a new county for a new start, so really I have been getting the new house sorted with various things, catching up with family and getting settled in a new place over the last few months. I have a part-time job that pays the bills (although this will need to become full time in the new year, so need to get cracking on job hunting).

I am just now starting to think about getting another horse.

I miss my old boy so much, and am still finding the tears coming most days, but think I do need to get a new horse to give me a new social circle of people and get me back out into the fresh air and being a bit more active and getting fitter!

So that's the new year resolution - new horse, new job!!

Last edited:

southerncomfort

Visit site
Horses keep me sane.....quite literally. As tired and penniless as I am I think I would be a very unhappy person without them.

Doesn't bear thinking about.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I have Fibromyalgia and CFS/ME so sometimes I wonder why I put myself through it lol. But having horses has saved my life. With my 6 year old daughter dying in April this year I don't think I would still be here without my animals.
But if I was forced into a non horsey lifestyle I would probably spend even more time dog showing as I have American Cocker Spaniels and they take a massive amount of coat work.
Maybe a bit of carting and waterworks with my Newfoundland.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Welcome to my world.

D1 has three, of which two are retired and one is a youngster, so they all live in a field and eat, just being checked daily and mooch ed about with a bit, definitely not like the days when we had four on livery!

I don't seem to be any better off and my time is spent mainly working.

Hopefully will have another horse Spring next year :)

Spilletta

Visit site
I'd re-start my triathlon life and work towards qualifying for Hawaii Ironman world champs.

Since giving up triathlon and returning to horses in my 40s, I have learnt so much and scared myself so much, that I'm kind of looking forward to having another go at Ironman - they used to scare me, but now I've experienced exercising racehorses, triathlon seems a walk in the park (not physically, obviously) but mentally I imagine I'll be very chilled!

My mare is for life and when she comes to retirement, I'll think about triathlon then. But she'll always take top priority. Can't imagine owning another one but then again it's probably because I now know I'll never be without horses in my life - just that they belong to friends. There's always an old, retired horse that needs extra fuss somewhere. That'll be my job.

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
My boy is getting on a bit not ready to retire but works cutting down. I've had him 11years and couldn't imagine my life without him. I have often thought i couldnt replace him and i am in a stage of my life where i want my own home and need as much spare money as i can get. But my sister has a horse and i ride her now so i think we would share her so always have that horse fix even if i didnt ride.

Since our family gave up a full livery yard 2years ago i found just having 1/2 horses gives so much time and i filled it up with longer walks with the dogs.

rascal

Visit site
If I didn't have horses I would have a lovely clean car, no muddy buckets/hay/bits of feed/mud but I would also be very miserable! I would (as I have spent the last 32 years telling my none horsey family) not be a happy bunny without our 4 legged friends.

windand rain

Visit site
I would be miseraable fat and lazy. I wouldnt be any richer as we have always spent every penny coming into the house so I know it would be the same if the bulk didnt go on the ponies. It gets me out of the house, makes me move more and they give me endless pleasure. I know I am a nightmare to live with without them as I have tried in order to save some dosh but every time the money has gone just the same so I know I wouldnt be any richer

khalino

Visit site
I think I would be bored out of my skull and probably slip a lot deeper into my depression without Chase. I'd probably have more time on my hands and hell of a lot more money, but I really don't think I'd be the same...I don't think I'd be happy..