' if you don't want her pts' WWYD?

Klix

Visit site
Over the past couple of months my mare and I have completely clashed. I don't enjoy riding her nor do I think by can give her everything she needs ridden wise. I ride her 5/6 times a week but this doesn't seem to be enough for her, I do a mixture of hacking, schooling and jumping but everything about all 3 isn't enjoyable anymore, and I don't think I can cope with the stresses of her and my full time job.

Now comes the question. She was technically a 'gift' horse too me. I paid a nominal sum and she was 'mine' however I will always remember a remark the previous owner said to me ' if ever you don't want her, pts do not sell her.' There is nothing on paper. ( stupidity on my part! The horse in question is 5yo fit sound and well. WWYD? Sell or persevere.. Logic would say sell but I don't want any hassle ..

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
It has got nothing to do with the old owner. You paid a nominal sum, and the horse is now your property, to dispose of as you wish.

I would sell asap. Horses are supposed to be fun !

Enfys

Visit site
I would contact her previous owner and tell her what you have told us, and if she doesn't want her back then at least you can go forwards with a clear conscience.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Doesnt seem right to put to sleep a fit healthy horse. If you paid for the horse(albeit a nominal sum) she is yours to do with as you please.

Could you put her out of loan for a year and see how you feel after that?

Klix

Visit site
She is just so sharp and uptight all of the time with the occassional bronc.I appriciate that she's young and still learning but the last thing I want to do after work is go and battle with my horse, it's not fair on her or me. Just an insight into her day, she's turned out for 7 hours (8-3) comes in with Haynet ect I finish work at 6, shortly after she is ridden for 45min/1hr dinner and bed. All of the necessary checks are up to date, saddle back teeth ect.. She's currently fed alfalfa and pasture mix, and hay.

eggs

Visit site
As you paid a nominal sum for her you gave the previous owner consideration so she is yours.

If you feel comfortable selling her on (assuming her problems can be overcome) then you are within your rights to do so.

Klix

Visit site
N.b I have previously spoken to said owner about if I ever didn't want her would he like her back. Answer was a sharp no.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Change her feed.

Why was she sold to you for a nominal sum. Ans why did old owner say pts if you no longer wanted her?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I think alfafa can be a heating food, and some horses are really sensitive to it. Pasture Mix isn't ideal - tbh, I would change the diet to a barefoot - style one. Cut out as much sugar and starch as you can. Fast Fibre is supposed to be really good. I'm sure others will add suggestions.

I would then get her on a mare calmer - what's the name of it ?

Another suggestion is to look at the possibility of ulcers, or some other underlying health issue.

ozpoz

Visit site
^This
I'd start by cutting out the alfalfa and mix, completely.
I am guessing you've done all the usual checks, like back, teeth etc. ?

Klix

Visit site
What would you suggest to amymay? She was given to me due to reverse rotation of her pedal bones (slight) at the front, she has since had done time off to develop and correct with help from vet and remedial farrier, since she has had visits from the vet, X-rays and has stayed sound, I have spent the last 8 months bringing her back into work which she has stood up to. But the fitter she is becoming she is becoming more of a handful.

Klix

Visit site
Thanks re diet, I have tried her in fast fibre which she won't touch!! Have previously tried stroppy mare and oestress? No change

Toast

Visit site
What would you suggest to amymay? She was given to me due to reverse rotation of her pedal bones (slight) at the front, she has since had done time off to develop and correct with help from vet and remedial farrier, since she has had visits from the vet, X-rays and has stayed sound, I have spent the last 8 months bringing her back into work which she has stood up to. But the fitter she is becoming she is becoming more of a handful.

Edited as you say she doesn't like fast fibre. Let me have a think...

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Well there are lots of options you can try - do a search on here. You could just go onto a low calorie balancer and cut out hard feed altogether. I use Topspec Light (£25 and lasts for ever), and that plus soaked hay is all Shy gets.

Baileys and Spillers also do Lite balancers, and believe me, they get gobbled down in seconds !

meandmyself

Visit site
She is just so sharp and uptight all of the time with the occassional bronc.I appriciate that she's young and still learning but the last thing I want to do after work is go and battle with my horse, it's not fair on her or me. Just an insight into her day, she's turned out for 7 hours (8-3) comes in with Haynet ect I finish work at 6, shortly after she is ridden for 45min/1hr dinner and bed. All of the necessary checks are up to date, saddle back teeth ect.. She's currently fed alfalfa and pasture mix, and hay.

Try taking her off the alfalfa. It makes some of them bonkers.

nosenseofdirection

Visit site
I would go with top spec light as well. My mare has this and forage only and does very well on it and has calmed down massively. YO gave me a bag of Alfa a few months ago that needed using up and I had to scrape her off the ceiling!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
The horse belongs to you so the decision to PTS or sell is your decision, not the previous owners.

If you don't want the hassle of selling privately, you could sell to a dealer. If you want to respect the old owners wishes you could ask them to take the horse back and PTS themselves, if that's what they think is right and you're ok with that too. If you want to persevere you could try the horse on working livery to see if she's more pleasant to ride with a higher workload (assuming the horse is suitable for working livery).

It sounds like there's more to this story than has been posted here. People don't usually give horses away or sell for a nominal sum for no reason. It almost sounds like the old owner thought the horse should PTS for behavioural reasons/issues under saddle, but rather than doing it has passed the problem onto the OP.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Having a slight giggle, not at your expense OP, just trying to imagine Abba on mix and alfalfa. To be honest she'd be outright dangerous. That includes anything in the balancer range too due to soya. Might be interesting to note that both soya and alfalfa are from the same family, legumes. But look that's my mare and not my place to warn you off everything.

I would check out the barefoot diet. I have a mix of working horses bare and shoes and the have used a version of the bare diet for years, but with the knowledge on this board I've been able to tweak it a bit. You might want to look into magnesium too.

Best of luck, I know it's not easy. But at the end of the day it's supposed to be fun. And if you're spending the money it's nice to have something you can enjoy.

Terri

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Pasture Mix is a misleading name. Many feeds labelled as such state on the bag its for horses in medium work. Your horse is in light work. Starchy mixes can hype some horses up anyway. I would change the feed to low energy cubes and a straw chaff. You could add sugar beet if horse starts to lose weight.

Klix

Visit site
She has been on this food her entire life. I have known her since a yearling .. She has never displayed any of the current behaviour I can only assume its because she is strong and feeling well.. So would feed change their behaviour at anytime regardless if how long they have been fed it?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
It could well be she is in season ? The first of the year can be VERY traumatic !

yes, the diet could affect her at any stage - you have nothing to lose by changing, if you are thinking of PTS.

Another suggestion, is to just not ride for a while, and try groundwork with her ? If it's a battle atm, don't do it, just step back and take a breather. Lunge, lead out, long rein, whatever you can. Or even turn away ?

There is a key to why this is happening, you have to find it.