If you had the opportunity would you? (job change)

runaway

Visit site
Hi, haven't been on for a while. Hoping you guys can give me some food for thought.

Got the chance of working with horses (my own business) and just wondering if anyone has had the experience of going from non equestrain job (only work part time at present) to working full time with them? In farming so not blind to amount of work that will be involved.

Also what is the going rate for hunter livery? I've done a bit of internet research and the figure is between £130 - £150, does that sound right?

Look forward to comments. Thanks

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Cost will depend on geographical location and what you're including :)

I've gone the other way round, from working with horses to working in an office.

I would say: make sure you're fit enough; that you have decent gear to wear; that you have someone to cover when you can't do it; that you have a fall back plan; and if you need the money, that you'll survive if you have to pay someone else to do the work, etc.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
How have you found the change going to an office job? Are you pleased you did it?

Umpteen years later, I'm pleased with what I get paid and how I can do what I can do, if that makes sense, but I'm not pleased I was away from horses for so long (they were my life) or that I am so unfit and so incapable as a rider now.

Twirly

Visit site
I worked with horses when I was younger, then had a few years in an office environment (whilst still owning my own horses).

I went back to working full time with horses a few years ago and broke quite spectacularly within six weeks! Developed raging carpal tunnel syndrome from full mucking out 10 very deep large straw beds every day.

I was in my late thirties when this happened and I think I was a bit daft not realising that I'd need to be fitter than I was. Ended up back in an office environment, but still have three horses of my own.

Good points - waaaaaay more money for less hours
Bad points - would prefer to be outside being physical than sat on my @rse staring at a pc

runaway

Visit site
Not worried about the physical side as currently work 4 days manually on the farm (3 in office) and wouldn't mind getting fitter. Used to having no money too so thats nothing new! Would charge enough to cover expenses and give me a wage and having calculated it that come out at £146p/wk. Would have limit of 4 horses as have my own horse too.

Would offer usual, mucking out, turn out, exercise/fittening as required, trimming, plaiting, clipping, bedding, haylage, hard feed, meet attendance, tack cleaning and organising farrier visits etc. Also tea/coffee, pork pie & cake as required on hunt days. Owner would have to meet farrier, veterinary and supplement costs. Does that sound fair?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I think on the costing side, it might be a good idea to post this in Hunting and/or Comp Riders, simply because there might be more people in those that use this sort of service?

Just a thought :D

runaway

Visit site
I think on the costing side, it might be a good idea to post this in Hunting and/or Comp Riders, simply because there might be more people in those that use this sort of service?

Just a thought :D

Yeah thanks did think that myself but couldn't be bothered to type it twice :eek: and more interested in peoples experience of going full time with horses ;) Having costed it if I can't get £140-150 for it then it's not worth me doing. Although I'm used to living on nothing I do at least currently have some time to do my own thing if I choose. I wouldn't go into the livery if I couldn't draw a wage from it if you see what I mean?

Personally not worked full time with horses for years although got my own, but it's different kettle of fish doing someone elses and providing a service.

Sessle

Visit site
I worked full time with horses a while ago, I had my own horses at the time, I hated it at that point in time, because the hours were so long I never had any time for my own, it was horses or job and the horses won!
But if it were my own business and I was going to be able to see/spend time with my own horses then I wouldn't hesitate at doing it! I would also go back to working with horses if I could either have my horses at the same place, or have hours that allowed me some time for them!
I have an office job, and its oh so boring!!
In regards to pricing I have absolutely no idea! But Good Luck if you decide to go for it :)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Yeah thanks did think that myself but couldn't be bothered to type it twice :eek: and more interested in peoples experience of going full time with horses ;) Having costed it if I can't get £140-150 for it then it's not worth me doing. Although I'm used to living on nothing I do at least currently have some time to do my own thing if I choose. I wouldn't go into the livery if I couldn't draw a wage from it if you see what I mean?

Personally not worked full time with horses for years although got my own, but it's different kettle of fish doing someone elses and providing a service.

Copy and paste it :D

The price sounds okay to me. I'd pay it if I wanted that sort of service. I would rather pay more and be sure of that what I'm getting is good and sustainable, than pay little and risk it going under, with all the extra hassle and upheaval that would entail.

I'd have it in writing exactly what is included and the costs for any extras, if there could be any extras lol.

Also don't forget to cost in the insurance, etc.

runaway

Visit site
Copy and paste it :D

Also don't forget to cost in the insurance, etc.

Good points ;)

Am going to see about insurance too, NFU do a rider cover. Also investigating National Grooms Asso. is it?

It'd be people I knew but it wouldn't be a traditional livery yard atmosphere as they'd only come on hunting days and I know what they expect (and can provide that) so know what I'm letting myself in for.