If you hate horse abuse at top international shows look at this, and help.

pippinpie

Visit site
This video was brought to my attention today, whilst it is not the worst abuse I've seen!! it must be brought to the attention of the FEI that it is not acceptable to look the other way and allow horses to be used and abused in this way.
You Tube video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en_90D5TOKA

If you want to show your disapproval please sign this petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/FEI142/petition.html

Sorry if this has already been posted on here somewhere.

china

Visit site
sorry if i sound harsh. this is unpleasant to watch yes, but i have seen far worse, particularly here in this country. Theres ALOT of it about.

diet2ride

Visit site
I saw this the other day... It's disgusting made me sad that people think its ok to stand back and watch a horse being treated like that... :(

Charliepony

Visit site
I know that worse goes on, but does that really justify this???

Shocking to see such openess on behalf of the rider in mistreating his horse like that... And that is not a bit to be laughed at...

Unbeliever

Visit site
So, because much worse happens, we don't condemn this?

I suppose using that logic, because murder happens, we accept assault?

If you care about horses, do something. If not, don't, but don't try & justify it.

_MizElz_

Visit site
Who electrocutes their horse?! I've never heard of this before! :eek:

A fairly well-known and respected showjumper round here has a particular fondness for electric spurs :mad: I'm guessing the majority of his Pony Club students would be pretty horrified if they knew exactly what some of his 'behind closed doors' training methods involved...

Paddy Irish

Visit site
What's the guy trying to achieve by pulling up the reins like that? I'm sure some western enthusiast can tell me but it seems so pointless as the horse is already over bent to the extreme. I must be thick cos i just can't see the horsemanship in this at all..more to the point why was the guy doing all this on a horse that clearly had a bandaged knee , so i guess it already had an injury...shame on him..

Petition signed

Last edited:

pippinpie

Visit site
So, because much worse happens, we don't condemn this?

I suppose using that logic, because murder happens, we accept assault?

If you care about horses, do something. If not, don't, but don't try & justify it.
Thank you :)

The abuse of this kind mare goes much deeper than jabbing her in the mouth, she has gone catatonic/introverted, she's been abused so much before she just learnt to take it, how sad is that?

I was appalled that the judges just kept their heads down, obviously this is an everyday occurrence that they are hardened to it as well.

jaquelin

Visit site
As someone who grew up riding Western in the US I found this bizarre in the extreme. When I competed the horse's head is kept low but not bent, more or less straight. I do not know what the bend is supposed to accomplish, and if you watch actual working horses cutting cattle, they don't move like that, so I think this is some kind of pointless BS and a "style" that has developed recently. If actually working, the horse needs to see properly and it can't with its head bent.
The bits don't bother me so much. In Western you don't work on a contact so any bit correction is quick and shouldn't harm the horse.

The real issue with the sliding stops is that it blows their hocks - that's the abuse that is not obvious.

A very pointless exercise in terms of competition. What actual skill is being demonstrated?

Whoopit

Visit site
A fairly well-known and respected showjumper round here has a particular fondness for electric spurs :mad: I'm guessing the majority of his Pony Club students would be pretty horrified if they knew exactly what some of his 'behind closed doors' training methods involved...

:eek: What sort of company sells electric spurs:? Or does this person modify their own? No idea who you're talking about but doesn't make it any less of a surprise!

I'm not playing dumb by the way, I've genuinely never heard of this sort of thing! I've seen a few eventers get a bit handy with a whip and a few bleeding sides from too much "encouragment" but thats about it! I must live in a bubble!!

trina1982

Visit site
Thank you :)

The abuse of this kind mare goes much deeper than jabbing her in the mouth, she has gone catatonic/introverted, she's been abused so much before she just learnt to take it, how sad is that?

I was appalled that the judges just kept their heads down, obviously this is an everyday occurrence that they are hardened to it as well.

That is exactly what I was more upset about....there is just no soul left in that horse. She looks so depressed :( Petition signed and shared on facebook.

Trina x

trottingon

Visit site
WTF!!!!! Poor horse is obviously so used to being "ridden" like this she just looks resigned to it her spirit is totally gone. If he treats his horses like that at a show where he is being watched, it doesn't bear thinking about how he treats them at home in private!
The horses in the background look similarly overbent... I wonder if their riders are as bad but its just not shown on the video?

Hen

Visit site
What's the guy trying to achieve by pulling up the reins like that? I'm sure some western enthusiast can tell me but it seems so pointless as the horse is already over bent to the extreme. I must be thick cos i just can't see the horsemanship in this at all..more to the point why was the guy doing all this on a horse that clearly had a bandaged knee , so i guess it already had an injury...shame on him..

Petition signed

Would you only put boots on your horse if it were injured? I doubt it. Reiners have to perform fast dynamic 360-degree spins which can take place probably at the same speed it takes you to draw a breath, so it makes sense that its knee has some protection. There are 2 types of knee boot: the standard (bulky) knee boot (as here) - which you would only put on one leg, because if you put on two the same size, even if the horse had a broad, clean step-over it would likely catch itself on the bulk of the bandage; there is another option of thinner boot which works effectively when placed on both knees. 'Bandage' does not naturally equate to injury.

perfect11s

Visit site
Very poor horsemanship and very bad for the sports image I hope the NRHA and AQHA are looking at craigs unforgivible example and will come down hard on any of this sort of thing now and in the future...it pisses me off... western is about softness and a mutual understanding between horse and rider not this bullying and jerking ...

Last edited:

Fairynuff

Visit site
That is exactly what I was more upset about....there is just no soul left in that horse. She looks so depressed :( Petition signed and shared on facebook.

Trina x

how many of you have had some experience with QHs? I bet very few so how can you state that the mare in question is depressed etc? When QHs are 'working' they are constantly 'listening' to their rider and look 'switched off'. My filly looks exactly the same when ridden and I can assure you, she has never been abused in any way. I cant praise my trainer enough for his kind handling of her.
I wish people would get a grip before spouting off a load of nonsense :(

04-05-2011028.jpg

23-02-2011016-1.jpg

perfect11s

Visit site
how many of you have had some experience with QHs? I bet very few so how can you state that the mare in question is depressed etc? When QHs are 'working' they are constantly 'listening' to their rider and look 'switched off'. My filly looks exactly the same when ridden and I can assure you, she has never been abused in any way. I cant praise my trainer enough for his kind handling of her.
I wish people would get a grip before spouting off a load of nonsense :(

04-05-2011028.jpg

23-02-2011016-1.jpg
Um yes im with you to a point, but the video clearly shows abuse and the rider sawing and jerking not nice and not western ... very bad when you are trying to sell the idea of western riding to English riders as a kinder and more sensitive alternative to the english kick to go pull to stop and pull on the reins all the time crap with the horse forced into a so called outline with a hollow back... as apposed to good riding with the horse in self carrage working from behind , craig should have been taken off that horse and flogged and then sent back home to shovel **** for the next few monthes...utter 3rd rate ****** hope the NRHA give it to him hot and strong and any clients/sponsors take there money and horses elsewhere..

HorseGirl18

Visit site

GOSH plenty of people in showjumping and there's one -particular person who was competing with it in their horses boots for as they went oer the fence to pick their feet up probably. he was accused so now at top shows they check EVERYTHING!

its mostly the top riders not doing it for the love but for the money. not that they earn much, but they would earn loads if they won everything.

i know a girl from our old yard. she went to a top class trainers yard (***** *****). her horse knocked a pole so the trainer hit her horse with the pole. the horses hasnt knocked a pole down since - she only stops now which in myiew is worse than a pole. that horse is now ruined - it wont jump past 1m10!

joy

Visit site
:eek: What sort of company sells electric spurs:? Or does this person modify their own? No idea who you're talking about but doesn't make it any less of a surprise!

I'm not playing dumb by the way, I've genuinely never heard of this sort of thing! I've seen a few eventers get a bit handy with a whip and a few bleeding sides from too much "encouragment" but thats about it! I must live in a bubble!!

You make them yourself with some wire and a battery. I saw this in Germany 30 years ago.

Jennyharvey

Visit site
Unfortunately, when money and ego is at stake, people are much more likely to use cruel or unnessesary gadgets or tactics in order for them to win. Its like the money and prize means more than the horse's welfare. Its shocking, but unfortunately its gonna happen when people put money before their horse's welfare.
Fairynuff, your horse is beautiful, and looks to be being ridden the way a reining horse should be, relaxed, and loose contact.

I also agree that just because a horse has its ears back, it doesnt mean the horse is unhappy. When a horse is listening to us well, they will have their ears in our dirrection. Obviously a horse who is abused can also have its ears back because its closed down, so i guess to some people it would be hard to distinguish the differemce.
I think so many people are use to seeing horses with ears pricked and are more concerned with there surroundings, rather than paying attension to the rider.

sazzle44

Visit site

I had a mare who had wierd marks over her withers and would go into one, broncing and squeling, whenever she touched a pole or jumped from a strange spot. The general concesus (sp?!) was that she had been 'pig-prodded'. The sjer she was bought from is known to use this as a favoured method. Using an electronic stick, for herding pigs, on the horse to teach it to pick it's feet up. At 14 and being very naive about some of the awful methods I was horrified by this! But have come to see that's barely even the start of it...:mad: :(
I've signed the petition, it's such a shame that people use these methods in the name of sport.

thespanishmane

Visit site
I'd love to see that chap try that on one of my Spaniards - I think he might be rearranging his face very soon!

I used to keep a horse near a western yard many years ago, and the bits they rode their horses in were obscene. - no change there then.......:(

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
That horse looks so broken and sad. Such harsh yanking on the rein when the horse is already doing what is asked of it.

I see this man and others like him as glory hunting bullies. :(

babymare

Visit site
ummm sorry did i miss somehing there - ok go to local show see the twacking the jabbing the tied down ponies being asked the wrong questions going to a jump then omg the whip comes out or the whack for moving in the line up- ummmm saw notihng i dont see at shows or simliiar in this country - and if that offends sorry but hey it happens here :)

babymare

Visit site
annnnddddd btw before the hounds start at my neck im not a lover of reining ok but mmmm minty did it damn well and still does mmmm pleasure to watch monty xx

fburton

Visit site
sorry if i sound harsh. this is unpleasant to watch yes, but i have seen far worse, particularly here in this country. Theres ALOT of it about.
If something bad happens, should the fact that something worse also happens stop us condemning or taking action against the original bad thing? I don't think so! And yet this argument comes up quite often. Sorry, but I find it hard to understand the logic of that. Obviously if you had a limited choice, e.g. money to donate to only one charity, you'd have reason to choose the one that is likely to do the more good (or counter the worse ill), but surely that's not the case here. Nothing prevents us from signing more than one petition, or making a formal complaint to more than one judge or steward.

However, you're dead right to point out that abuse is more widespread than some may think, including on our own doorstep - there is a lot of it about.