If you have a horse on full loan, or loan your horse out...

HeatherAda

Visit site
do you pay the owner a fee, either a one off, or monthly? Assuming you pay all costs for the horse as if it were your own i.e. livery, shoes etc.

If you loan your horse out, do you receive a fee?

Just wondering how it mostly works. Thanks.

If anyone cares to share details on cost, I'd be interested to read them.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
do you pay the owner a fee, either a one off, or monthly? Assuming you pay all costs for the horse as if it were your own i.e. livery, shoes etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't pay a fee at all.

You pay to keep the horse etc. as if it were yours. And you have to come to an arrangement regarding vet fees.

Tinker_Belle

Visit site

The way I've always done loan is for horse to go out on loan & the loaner is responsible for all costs.

I pay the insurance for my own peace of mind but all upkeep is down to them. Obviously, all tack & gear goes with the horse.

I've never heard of somebody paying to have the horse on loan. Unless it is a stallion on lease in which case I think it's different?

Are you thinking of sharing? The sharer shares yard duties & horsecare with the owner in exchange for riding & the sharer also usually pays a percentage each week or month towards the horses upkeep. Costs for sharing range for £15/£40ish a month in my experience.

HeatherAda

Visit site
thanks both.

I already share and contribute towards half of everything, and get a very good deal regarding riding, mucking out, competing etc. I want to buy eventually but thought a good next step might be to try full loan for a year or 2 to see how I get on with costs, big step up responsibility wise etc. I'd be totally committed of course.

I ask the question because I've seen a lot of POA adverts for loan horses which confused me. so thank you!

sallypops

Visit site
abby is on full loan to me and i don't pay the owner any fee, i pay for all livery shoeing insurance vet bills etc

TGM

Visit site
For a normal loan you would pay keep costs but not a loaning fee. However, some people lease their animals (often happens with competition schoolmasters), which involves you paying the keep costs AND a yearly fee to the owner.

jumpingjack

community.webshots.com
My mare is out on loan and the loaner pays for everything as per their loan agreement including insurance which i have in my name but they pay via DD.

when sharing my sharer paid me a weekly rate as contribution.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
no no fee as that would be a lease agreement not a loan
wink.gif
(very generally speaking
tongue.gif
)

at work

Visit site
I have a horse on permanent loan, the loaner pays all the costs of keeping him but pays me nothing. The agreement states if she can no longer keep him, he is returned to me - which I think is what makes it a loan, not a sale or gift.