If you have dogs and small child(ren)...

bex1984

Visit site
How do you manage long walks?

We have a 3.5 yo and 2 jrts. Weekdays are fine as I work from home and can walk them but at weekends we've got used to doing 3-5 mile brisk walks with our little girl in her pushchair and we all really enjoy it.

However... She's soon going to outgrow the pushchair! Any suggestions for managing decent length walks with a little person in tow? I need tired dogs by the end of the day!

Fiona

Visit site
My 4yo still physically fits in our Phil and Teds three wheeler even though we don't use it any more...

I'd still bring it to be honest, so she can walk a bit and ride when she gets tired.

We just shortened our walks I'm afraid to childs pace/distance.

Fiona

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
3.5 and still in the pushchair - you're lucky! I have a hipseat for mini sf which is useful for longer walks if she wants to be up and down. Failing that you can get toddler slings designed for children 3+ if you want to be tired by the end of the day too! http://www.connectababycarrier.com/product-category/preschool-connecta/

Failing that, it depends what terrain you're on, would your 3yo be happy on a scooter or trike if the paths are suitable?

bex1984

Visit site
She's really little for her age and doesn't walk far at all - we've got the backpack and I pushchair and she's happy in those at the moment but at some point she's going to decide she's too grown up!

Got a scooter but she doesn't go far on it, maybe we can get her on a push along bike thing?

I do think our long walks might be numbered (OH and I enjoy it because we actually get an hour to talk to each other!).

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Me and the OH often walk the dog by ourselves whilst the other looks after mini, it gives one of us some peace for a little while! Mini SF isn't that big, she's just opinionated and a fair amount of the time she refuses to go in the pushchair!

Alec Swan

Visit site
I'm surprised that no one has yet suggested that you hand the child in to a Rescue! It would solve the problem, and would doubtless get a round of applause!

Alec. :)

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Tried that at Newbury show Alec the foster folks were having none of it :D can you do a shorter child friendly walk OP but have the dogs off lead and ball chasing so the go further IYSWIM

Fools Motto

Visit site
Break the dogs to harness - to pull child in a cart?? No??

I just slowed down the pace for little legs, and arranged OH to 'stay behind' when I did a long walk, sometimes he cut the corners and we met at a certain place. - Or he gave piggy backs!

CAYLA

Visit site
I'm surprised that no one has yet suggested that you hand the child in to a Rescue! It would solve the problem, and would doubtless get a round of applause!

Alec. :)

"why don't you hand you child to a rescue"? :p

Our clients have this issue lol, they have 2 high energy weims and when her husband is away they get booked to stay with us so they get exercised without her worrying the kids cant walk that far, but I do see a lot of people our with bikes with those little carts attached with the kiddies in and dogs running along side. I even see the kids engrossed in an I pad/computer game whilst sitting in them lol.

bex1984

Visit site
FM I love the idea of breaking the dogs to harness - they both pull on the lead so it would put them to good use!!

Unfortunately one is not good with other dogs so difficult to let them loose to run off their energy, we have to walk it off.

SF how old is mini SF? Our little girl definitely went through a pushchair refusing phase but was won over by a new pushchair and came out of the other side of that phase. She still enjoys it at the moment, I kind of wish she'd walk a bit more!

Maybe bikes + bike trailer and train the dogs to run alongside the bikes? I'd worry they'd spot a cat and go silly and run under the wheels tho?

I walk them alone all week so I like some company at the weekend.

Alternatively I could present my OH with only two possible options - get a pony or rehome the child?!