If you moved abroad would you take your horse?

If No please give your reason(s)


  • Total voters
    0

bex1984

Well-Known Member
Joined
21 February 2007
Messages
5,745
Location
Leicestershire
Visit site

If you had the chance to move abroad would you take your horse with you? And if you couldn't, would it mean you wouldn't move? Just wondering really what people do if they move a long way? Do horses adapt to new countries?
 

Tia

Well-Known Member
Joined
21 January 2004
Messages
26,100
Visit site
Well I did move overseas, from England to Canada, and yes I did bring one mare with me. My other horses were not brought because I didn't feel that they would travel well, so they were left in England and sold on.

The little mare that we brought, settled in and adapted perfectly to her new surroundings.
 

Baileysno1

Well-Known Member
Joined
6 October 2006
Messages
1,148
Location
Newark
Visit site
We're in the final stages of applying for a visa to move to Austrailia, we will know for sure whether or not we can go by Christmas, Ryu my 6 year old will be sold in the Spring if we do, Bailey my vetran will go to my sharer. It will be heratbreaking but I can't afford the 10K per horse to fly them out there, and me and OH have said if we get it we're selling up and doing it, so loaning etc would not be an option. TBH Ryu the 6 year old was bought with this all in mind and I knew he'd be going Bailey has been more of an issue because he is very special to me and has been a fantastic servant I could not cope with leaving if his future was insecure, luckily though things have worked out fantasticly with my sharer.

Will be looking to get a new horse once we're settled in oz though, have been checking out aussie horsedeals already
blush.gif
 

fairhill

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 July 2006
Messages
2,551
Location
Cheshire
Visit site
We were thinking of moving to Ireland or Holland a few years ago, and taking Megan would have been part of the move.
We also considered NZ, and here the cost of transporting her would of made it impractical and too expensive, and so if we had gone, then I'd have sold her.
 

Chex

Well-Known Member
Joined
31 October 2006
Messages
4,024
Location
Scotland
Visit site
I guess it depends how far abroad was. If it was somewhere reasonably close, with a similar climate then I would take Chex. If it wasn't then I would either wait until he's popped his clogs, or see if my mum would be willing to take him on (if there was a reason why I HAD to move abroad). I have absolutely no desire to move abroad, so not an issue though!
 

sar1

Well-Known Member
Joined
11 October 2007
Messages
222
Visit site
No I wouldn't. He doesn't travel particularly well, and won't stand in the trailer once it's stopped, so travelling him in a plane/on a boat inside a container just wouldn't be fair on him. It would be awful, but I would sell him. He's only 10, and is talented so should find a good home. If he was older my friend would have him.
 

shadowboy

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 May 2006
Messages
4,755
Visit site
No I wouldn't and I can answer that question truthfully. I went to the states and sold a horse I vowed never to sell. I have since returned and taken on a new horse who is lovely. I dod think about him but I think that the move would have been too much for me to deal with if he was with me.
 

vicm2509

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 March 2006
Messages
2,197
Location
Wirral
Visit site
If I thought he could adapt to the country then yes, but I suppose that would depend on cost. I love my horse to bits and would do all I could to make it possible to take him, he is pretty adaptable and travels well.
 

Forget_Me_Not

Well-Known Member
Joined
6 August 2006
Messages
5,097
Location
West Sussex.
Visit site
If it was a lot of hassle money then just Jesse would come with me, he is my pride and joy, and rambo would be given to one of his many admires. If it was fairly easy then Rambo would come. Parker would be sold on.
 

appyjude

Well-Known Member
Joined
14 May 2007
Messages
137
Visit site
We have spoken at length about going "home" (to Aus) and, thankfully, hubby is ok about taking all of them with us including the dogs. We figured that we have so much time, energy and emotion tied up in all of them we couldn't bare to leave any of them behind - beside all ours travel well and we don't forsee any problems. But then, we aren't about to move just yet.......
 

lillie07

Well-Known Member
Joined
22 August 2006
Messages
3,461
Location
Surrey
Visit site
If it was feasable then I would take the horses, if not I don't think I would go
crazy.gif


I desperately want to go travelling for 18 months, but I could'nt bear to leave the horses for that amount of time so its not really an option.
 

reynold

Well-Known Member
Joined
8 August 2007
Messages
1,740
Visit site
yep - another who would take all the horses and dogs - shame is I can't take the sheep as just too difficult (certain ewes are tame and part of the family - similarly with a few of the poultry).
 

bex1984

Well-Known Member
Joined
21 February 2007
Messages
5,745
Location
Leicestershire
Visit site
To answer my own question - I couldn't ever imagine wanting to go abroad, or anywhere, so much that I would sell Murphy, but if I moved somewhere with a climate he'd be comfortable in, and I had the money, I would take him. Otherwise I'd think very seriously about not going at all. I wouldn't sell him, I don't plan to sell him ever, but I would maybe loan him out. I couldn't leave my cats either, they came from the RSPCA and there's no way they're going back there.
 

Rockchick_uk

Well-Known Member
Joined
6 July 2005
Messages
542
Location
Walsall, West Midlands
s11.invisionfree.com
I plan on moving to Canada in the next 5 years and although i would love to take Indi with me i have to think of what would be best for him, he would be 21 by then and personally i think the travelling wouldnt do him good.

I would more than likely either ask my mom to take care of him or close friends.

It would kill me to leave him behind though.
 

S_N

Well-Known Member
Joined
9 June 2005
Messages
14,109
Location
Toliman
Visit site
Yes and no. The only place and can see me going, is back to Kentcuky. Should that ever happen, then depending on B's age, she would definitely come with me - probably in-foal to Catherston Dazzler, as they have a very limited amount of his semen (if any) available in the USA now and he is sought after over there. Hector (is I still had him) would be sold (depending on my circumstances, otherwise he might come too) and Berry would go to my Mum. Having said all that, having been abroad when my Father died, I won't be going anywhere for the forseeable future - faimly is too precious!

P.S. It goes without saying that Tuppence would come too!
 
Top