If you need to sell a horse and have two, how do you choose which one?

Jesstickle

Visit site
This is pretty much the situation I find myself in but I have no idea which one to try and get rid of!

How do other people decide?

Montyforever

Visit site
I would look at it this way -

Honey, very nervous but no health problems and keeps weight happily can live in or out.

Mysti, prone to laminitis and colic, has the horsey version of autism I'm sure :eek: hyper, doesn't keep weight and she can be a little monster when she wants to be :p

Honeys much easier to keep but keeping mysti is a difficult one and I couldn't risk someone not keeping her the same way I do so I would sell honey.

Not that it matters anyway, honey is my mums now!

northernsoul

Visit site
i had this about nearly two year ago , i had one horse first, standardbred from three year old he was four and a half at the time and i had pretty much perfect cob twelve year old the kids rode. My decision was forced by seperation /divorce so instead of selling i decided to loan i thought id had the standardbred first, spent and bonded with him more and thought easier to loan the mare out shes been away nearly two year i think lol i did it through word of mouth and they have been good loaners, i was able to pick and choose best person its hard but sooner you do it the better

Hen

Visit site
I am in a similar situation but with 3 - can't choose between them, I enjoy most the last one I just rode... One is for sale now but I simply can't choose between the other two at all. It may be I put them all up for sale and keep the last one to sell, whichever way it falls I will have a lovely horse...

Flame_

Visit site
If one is good and one is naughty, sell the naughty one.

If they are both good sell the one worth the most money.

If they are both naughty, sell whichever one someone will buy.

;) Its a totally individual decision, which i don't think we can really help you with, sorry.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Depends why you need to sell. If you need money, then the most expensive one. If you need less cash but faster then put both on market at reasonable prices and sell the one that goes first. If you find the running costs too great consider cheaper yards. If you feel that there's only space for one in your life then you probably need to keep the one that you enjoy the most - and that is the most difficult decision!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Both are a bit (not massively ) complicated.

Gelding is basically safe and sane to ride, jumps, hunts and does all that. but he's been off work and is only just starting his trot work, he has a little sarcoid and he can be a bit of a noob on the ground.

Mare is a 4yo TB. Probably 'nuff said :p And also has a big hock and loads of scars from surgery.

I don't really like one more than the other. I like them in different ways. Lots of people seem to like BH on here but that's probably because they've never met him!! lol

My other option is to try and keep them both going through the winter and sell one in spring but I still won't know which and it'll cost me a fortune as I'm going to have to pay someone to ride as other wise neither will get done!

Blitzen

Visit site
I really don't think I could choose.
I have my lovely mare, 14 yo little fatty cob, have had her almost 5 years. A perfect little poppet who is literally anyones ride - my 6 year old cousin can potter about on her, and equally she cranks it up to 5th gear when I take her hunting or XC and is a fabulous fun ride.
Then there's my rising 4 yo gelding, had him 2 years. Bought him as a scrawny scrap of 14.2, with forelegs out of one socket and nervous as hell. He has blossomed into a super young chap, now 16.2 and build like the proverbial out-house! He's so willing and kind, and is progressing with his backing/riding away like a pro. He's a superstar in the making!
It would be like asking a parent to choose between their children! I couldn't do it!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I don't really need to sell on the grounds that I can't afford them, I just don't have time for two and I end up running myself ragged. And last winter only one of them was rideable. This winter they both need doing somehow! :eek:

Natz88

Visit site
What a difficult decision. I think it all depends on what you want to do & which one will be more suited to your needs. If I had to sell one of my 2 it would have to be my 5yr old as it has taken me a long time to get my haffy to how he is now & he was passed from pillar to post before I got him so couldn't do it to him again.

I would sit down with a bit of paper & right all the pro's & cons to each horse, figure out which one you feel more suited to & take it from there. Let us know what you decide :)

JoannaC

Visit site
I always thought if I had to sell one of mine it would be my arab mare even though she is actually my favourite but she is the youngest and was worth the most money and could go on to do great things. However she has damaged herself so I'm in process of selling my New Forest. I would sell the one that is easiest to sell basically. Good idea above about advertising both and see which sells first if you really can't decide.

be positive

Visit site
BH is probably at the moment more saleable, as long as he comes back into full work ok and will pass a vet, I would get him fully fit before trying to sell.

Nitty with her hock and only being recently broken is still more of a project horse for someone to take on although she is at a good stage now for someone to do the rest of the work themself.

If they were mine and I needed to sell one I would probably get them both ready and offer them both for sale, that way if the right person comes along for one you have the option of keeping the other.
I get the feeling that neither are your "ideal" horse so if you had a really good home offered for both you could let them both go and find something that you really want.

Ahrena

Visit site
I'd be extremely stuck if that were me. I have 3 but all of them have their own problems.

One is retired with advanced navicular so couldn't sell her, if it a case or lack of time or running costs I would probably put her down as she's going downhill anyway.

Then I have a 12 year old 15hh welsh x hackney who has had a lot of problems and used to have a severe rearing problem, she needs very careful handling or she goes backwards fast, so wouldn't be able to sell as when she goes off on one she's very dangerous.

Finally I have a 16.2hh 14 year old warmblood. He is probably the only one I could sell but he's also the only one I can do what I want with, which is event at novice level. He's a saint and talented BUT he has to have his hocks medicated and only have one eye so not sure anyone would buy him anyway? Although I think I would be able to find good loan home formhim.

If it's time I think you just need to choose the one you enjoy most. If it's time not money then could you not keep both until the gelding is back into full work then decide?

Jesstickle

Visit site
bp- I don't think there is a horse out there at the moment that I would want. Have seriously lost my mojo! :(

On a good day Nits is exactly what I would pick but I'd feel so mean choosing her over BH who was, in fairness, there first.

And lord knows how I'm going to get him back into work. The evenings are drawing in so quickly now :eek: If I could afford it I'd send him off on full livery for a couple of months but I think that would break the bank.

I hate winter! :mad:

Also- you have the memory of an elephant. I had no idea anyone actually took any notice of my wafflings. Most impressed you can remember both my horrible horses! Nitty can jump now, well she's learning a little bit. Inbetween learning not to be a lunatic!

Last edited:

Quantock-cob

Visit site
How sad for you - can you get a sharer to help with the work over Winter? It would give you time to think, and Spring is a much easier time to sell.

be positive

Visit site
I felt that you were not enjoying either of your horses, when things keep going wrong it can be hard to want to do anything with them, especially after the awful summer weather and going into winter.

I would seriously put the both on the market, if they both sell have a break, if not or just one goes give yourself a break anyway, it would not hurt to turn away for a while and start again when you feel more enthusiastic, at least if one went you may have some spare cash to send the other to livery.

AshTay

Visit site
I feel for you!!
I have two and (other than the last couple of weeks when somehow both have been lame!) I've had two in work all "summer" each doing something 5 times a week (as well as working full time).
Now the nights are drawing in so weekday working will be out. My mare will quite merrily tick over just being ridden at weekend. We've had a good summer doing our first few dressage tests so she will go backwards a bit but I can pick her back up again next spring.
My gelding - well, we had some issues last year and went back to basics this year and until he went lame we had just about got up to walking and trotting under saddle in the school. He needs very regular work as he loses muscle quickly and can be weak through his back.
So what do I do with him all winter??!! I think I'm going to just do a little bit each week to keep him listening to me and maybe just sit on him but not really ride him and start again next spring.

If I had to choose, I'd have to sell my mare because I know she'd do well in the world. But I love her and she keeps my motivation and confidence up for riding my gelding. I don't know what would happen to my gelding if I didn't sell him to xactly the right people so I don't feel that I can sell him. Although if we make good progress with no major hiccups next year then he might actually be a better candidate to sell (not that I would).

But I won't sell either. Not yet anyway. I always worry that my gelding will seriously damage himself and then I'd have nothing to ride if I didn't have my mare. So.

Take the pressure off yourself over the winter and just keep one in work and start the other one again next spring when you've had a bit of a rest!!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I would keep both! If it is not a financial issue, then I would choose one to rest over the winter and not bother working at all. I would probably choose to leave Nitty and bring BH back into work. It won't harm her at all as she is young and if anything, a longer break will help heal her properly. The big hock may even go down, though it may be a permanent thing as they often are.

If I had to choose (assuming both my horses were in work), then there would be no contest, I would keep my mare as I am utterly and totally in love with her. I love my gelding too, but know I would get over selling him. Selling my mare is totally unthinkable.

Firewell

Visit site
bp- I don't think there is a horse out there at the moment that I would want. Have seriously lost my mojo! :(

On a good day Nits is exactly what I would pick but I'd feel so mean choosing her over BH who was, in fairness, there first.

And lord knows how I'm going to get him back into work. The evenings are drawing in so quickly now :eek: If I could afford it I'd send him off on full livery for a couple of months but I think that would break the bank.

I hate winter! :mad:

Also- you have the memory of an elephant. I had no idea anyone actually took any notice of my wafflings. Most impressed you can remember both my horrible horses! Nitty can jump now, well she's learning a little bit. Inbetween learning not to be a lunatic!

You have answered your own question here! Sounds like the mare is more your cup of tea. The gelding is more saleable anyway as he has done a bit so he has a better chance of going to a good home. I would bring the gelding back into work and sell him, the mare can have a little break in the mean time. Then you can have all the time for her and turning her into your perfect horse and if the weathers rubbish and you dont feel like it well she's only 4 and it wont harm her having another easy winter.
This is the reason I only have one horse, I have my one TB, I pamper him lots, have fun on him doing shows or whatever and if I don't feel like riding I don't or I just give him a quick lunge instead :D. Its also easy to pay someone a couple of pounds to bring him in/turn him out if I dont feel like going up the yard ;).

Mince Pie

Visit site
If it's a case of not having time to exercise them, what I did with mine is do them 3 days a week each so on Mon ride BH, Tues ride Nits, Wed - lunge BH Thurs - lunge Nits, Fri - ride BH and so on.
Also deep litter and pre-fill haynets! By doing this it took me 1 1/2 hours after work including exercise (they were turned out in the AM for me).

StormyMoments

Visit site
ummm i would go along with who is most likely to be sold.. in my case it would be Rio as even if he needs re-schooling he is a graded stallion with exceptional breeding and is lovely to handle... Taz on the other hand is an arse to handle, can be a git to ride, has de-nerved his lower leg, has never done anything in his life and tbh i dont think he would settle with anyone else anymore as we have owned him since he was 2 and hes 12 this year :eek: so i think it would defo have to be Rio and i would get more money for Rio anywho :/

sarabelle

Visit site
If one is good and one is naughty, sell the naughty one.

If they are both good sell the one worth the most money.

If they are both naughty, sell whichever one someone will buy.

;) Its a totally individual decision, which i don't think we can really help you with, sorry.

I'd go the other way! If one is naughty, and one is good - I'd put the good one on the market on the basis of getting a speedy sale :p

Agree, totally individual decision though

Littlelegs

Visit site
I had to choose years ago between my outgrown 14.2 & my perfect, couldn't have been more ideal for me comp horse. Wasn't ever a choice, beloved, childhood pony stayed, comp horse went.
In your shoes I'd sell the gelding, sounds like the easiest to sell. But bring back to work first. If the moneys not a problem could you find a rider to help out for free?

crabbymare

Visit site
From what you have said I would advertise them both at sensible prices and sell the first one that someone wants but I would still take calls and viewers on the other one until the one thats sold actually leaves. if they both sell then let them both go and put the money away in a 30 day savings account so you cannot get at it quickly and then find one to share for the winter and give yourself a breather from the having to do 2 then in spring rethink and buy one that is what you want or continue sharing if you find thats best for you at the moment. sometimes having a break gives you a chance to realise what you are missing and you come back refreshed again.

trefnantblackknight

Visit site
I have 5 horses alltogether only one is non rideable but he still needs lunging/brushing taking on walks etc. My 3 year old is also unrideable but will be soon and he needs more work than the old fogey

I find it very difficult to ride the other 3 and when the youngster grows up it will be even harder - i did try sharers for 2 of them but most wanted sometihng for nothing and others wanted top event horses to show off on so i gave up on that idea!

Over winter i am busy making sure all the hunters are in good working order - so i barely have time for mine but i make time and i have to make time for my OH who is very demanding ;)

Buti love it and i would never sell any of my boys because they are all perfect in there own way and i know they would all be perfectly happy to be left in the field for the rest of there days if i couldn't ride them - which i doubt would happen even if i was in a coma i would still probly try to ride them :D

maybe try loaning as others have suggested or just sell both and buy another one or see which one sells first? any way good luck with making your decision :D i know i could never do it!!