If you RI told you, you were not suited to your horse - what would you do?

coen

Visit site
Probably would think sod off.... but my opinion of RI's at the moment isn't great so I would advice you go with what you think, if you like the horse keep it and persevere.

I had a TB mare when I was 14 that was way too much for me and the instructor told my mum who isn't horsey that it would end up killing me..... :(
I kept the horse and learned to ride her, she wasn't malicious at all just highly strung and when we got used to each other we were fine. I saw the instructor about a year later at a show where I had won a riding class and jumped a clear round she congratulated me and it was such a good feeling.

Also when I had my gelding vetted last year the vet said he though I should rethink my decision as horse seemed like a handfull, to be fair he was very naughty for the vetting bucking and headshaking for Britain, but I had tried the horse 4 times previously and he was perfect luckily he has been perfect since.

I think you know deep down if the horse is right, if it is you will be willing to work through problems, and if it isn't get another one.

eggs

Visit site
I trust my RI's opinion. If not, why would I pay him for lessons?

Even when my horse is at his worst he has never suggested we are not suited.

What does worry me though is the RI who recommends a horse that they want to ride rather than one that you want to ride.

Hullabaloo

Visit site
I'd ask for my money back as I bought him from her in the first place :)

I pay my instructor for their advice so I'd certainly listen to it and think about what they were saying. Then I would make my own decision about whether or not I wanted to percevere with my horse. However it really depends on the relationship and trust you have in your instructor

I had a horse on loan a few years ago who was really knocking my confidence jumping. One of the instructors at my yard did suggest to me that I wasn't enjoying my jumping any more and that it was time to move on. I really valued her opinion and when I thought about it I knew she was right. One of the other instructors was selling her horse and I ended up buying him. I realise that sounds a bit suspicious, but she gave me a month's trial with no hard sell and 5 years later I'm still convinced he's the right horse for me. The instructor who sold him to me still teaches us now.

skint1

Visit site
Do you know what? Having bought a horse without really seeking advice from anyone, and said horse being really, really, really, really hard work for my daughter (I am feeling quite anti the horse today lol) I would never buy one again without full consultation from my RI and probably Trot Online, this forum and another forum I go on.

in fact, I would organise a coach trip to every viewing

wench

Visit site
someone once told me recently that I should sell my horse and get a better one as one of the "better" instructors in the area said I was doing this that and the other wrong. The only answer the advisor got was sod off!