If you saw a lame horse . . . WWYD?

PolarSkye

Visit site
Just to set up the "ahem" hypothetical scenario - say you were on a DIY livery yard where the liveries all looked out for each other and you went to fetch your horse in and noticed a fellow livery's horse (multiple and ongoing soundness issues) pacing/trotting up and down the fenceline hopping lame. Would you:

a) Do nothing
b) Tell livery when she gets to yard
c) Text livery to let her know (all numbers are on a sheet in tack room)
d) Ring livery and ask if she would like horse brought in

Just wondering . . .

P

Auslander

Visit site
OP said "Hopping lame". No way would I faff about with texts/calls. I might get someone else to call the owner, but getting the horse in would be my first priority

MissCandy

Visit site
I would bring in and phone livery - have done in the past and said livery was grateful even though we didn't get on.

I would hope someone would do the same if it was my horse.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I have called another livery several times. Her horse gets into trouble. A lot. He also colics often enough. 9 times out of 10 she comes right out but I ask if we can bring in.

Is your guy ok?

Terri

EllenJay

Visit site
Just to set up the "ahem" hypothetical scenario - say you were on a DIY livery yard where the liveries all looked out for each other and you went to fetch your horse in and noticed a fellow livery's horse (multiple and ongoing soundness issues) pacing/trotting up and down the fenceline hopping lame. Would you:

a) Do nothing
b) Tell livery when she gets to yard
c) Text livery to let her know (all numbers are on a sheet in tack room)
d) Ring livery and ask if she would like horse brought in

Just wondering . . .

P

Not always that black and white.

Maybe owner knows horse is lame and best course of action is T/O.
Maybe simple problem like stone in hoof, so panic stations of calling owner/vet etc a bit OTT but a quick check by "observer" would resolve the problem.
Personally I would let YM/YO know, as they probably have far more background than I do and let them resolve the issue

redriverrock

Visit site
Well I would hope if the horse was hopping lame someone would act quite quickly for the benefit of the horse and then contact owner of course!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Agree with EllenJay.

On our yard a horse has arthritis, he is lame on the hard ground and when first coming out of the stable but once he is in the feild after a hour or two he is fine.....he has his 'off' days but we all know turn out is better for him.

It depends on the reason behind the lameness and if horse was stressed.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
definitely text or call owner.
Id hopping then bring in too.

If less severe whether I bring horse in or not depends on the circumstances and history or lame horse and its treatment.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I would text or ring the yard manager & would offer to bring in. I'm on a large yard where to be honest I don't know the name's of the horses let alone the history of him/her and often the owner.

HashRouge

Visit site
I'd bring the horse in, see if there were any obvious signs as to why the horse was lame, notify the owner and the YO if they were around, and ring the vet if necessary. I used to keep my horse on the yard behind my house, and during the summer I could always see the horses from my house. One day I looked out and noticed that one of the mares was lame, so I rang the YO (didn't have owner's number) to let her know, and ask if she wanted me to bring the mare up to the farm. Luckily the YO was in so once I'd got the mare on to the yard she took it from there. I would never have dreamed of leaving her though - at the very least I would have expected someone in my shoes to notify the YO. I had to rescue horses from all sorts of situations in those fields, from shoes caught in fences to one mare who managed to get herself stuck between a fence and a hedge. I don't keep my horse there anymore but me and the rest of the family still keep an eye on the horses when they're in that field. I can't imagine just leaving a lame horse!

Marydoll

Visit site
It depends on the circumstances of the ailment/injuries tbh, you say there are multiple problems with the horse, id need more info as to whether id bring in.
The only way id bypass this is if there was an obvious injury with a wound needing immediate treatment
Id most likely call/text owner and ask if she knew it was lame or wanted horse in, of i wasnt able to bring in id let yo know as well and leave it to the 2 of them

Tickles

Visit site
It depends on the circumstances of the ailment/injuries tbh, you say there are multiple problems with the horse, id need more info as to whether id bring in.
The only way id bypass this is if there was an obvious injury with a wound needing immediate treatment
Id most likely call/text owner and ask if she knew it was lame or wanted horse in, of i wasnt able to bring in id let yo know as well and leave it to the 2 of them

This ^.

If I didn't know owner well I'd probably go via YM as first resort.

BUT having said that, if this horse was frequently lame and I knew this then I might well be considering A as owner could get rather sick of being asked abt an issue that is on-going and be dealt with.