If you sell it, you don't have a right to care

Thriller

Visit site
Just reading through several tracing posts. A fair few of them have the same "you sold the horse why are you trying to find it again, if you cared you would not have sold it" type messages. The ones i am looking at are particularly ones directed at people who sold to dealers who then sold the horse on after a week or two and won't pass on info to the old or new owners and mostly the original owner did not know they were a dealer.

Personally i took offence, as i have only sold one horse before but it really broke my heart. I sold him for both his and my own sanity, but bothered the poor lady i sold him to for weeks after asking after him and explaining that i would take him back immediately if she didn't want him. Thankfully he has found a forever home with her and her friend who loans him and is able to give him the kind of ride he wanted (aka go go go go go)

So just wondering how the greater HHO public think: if you sell it do you have a right to want to know how it is?

Last edited:

puli

Visit site
I would say yes I don't like the idea of selling my horses but if it was for the best and the horse would be better of with someone else then I would sell. I don't see a issue at all with people asking or wanting to know were the horse is. I found my horses old owner and she sold her as it was for the best and she cared. If the horse owner did not car then they would not want to find the horse again

webble

Visit site
Just reading through several tracing posts. A fair few of them have the same "you sold the horse why are you trying to find it again, if you cared you would not have sold it" type messages. The ones i am looking at are particularly ones directed at people who sold to dealers who then sold the horse on after a week or two and won't pass on info to the old or new owners and mostly the original owner did not know they were a dealer.

Personally i took offence, as i have only sold one horse before but it really broke my heart. I sold him for both his and my own sanity, but bothered the poor lady i sold him to for weeks after asking after him and explaining that i would take him back immediately if she didn't want him. Thankfully he has found a forever home with her and her friend who loans him and is able to give him the kind of ride he wanted (aka go go go go go)

So just wondering how the greater HHO public think: if you sell it do you have a right to want to know how it is?

You have a right to want to know but the buyer doesn't have an obligation to tell you or keep in touch

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Some times people have to sell their horses, the horse is too much. Or not enough but you can still love the horse, you have a relationship with it but sometimes someone else can offer it the perfect home.

I've never sold a horse but almost sold my youngster last yr because he scared me. Instead I kept him and am getting help with him. Because I've had him since he was 18 months old. And I won't sell him unless I really can't get my confidence back and I find someone else who can get his true potential out of him

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
You don't have a right to know how it is. You sold it. If your purchaser wishes to update you then that's lovely. You say you "bothered the poor lady" you sold your horse to. I'd have happily replied a couple of times. If you "bothered" me I'd have stopped responding. In fact I'm going through just this at the moment. How many texts per day is reasonable to check up on an animal you sold? Eight? In my book that's getting a bit excessive.

IMHO one time of reminding buyer that you'll take it back, coupled with writing that on the receipt and in the passport is enough.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I don't think you have a "right" to know as legally once you've sold the horse you have no claim to it, but I do think you can ask if the new owner is happy to keep in touch and take it from there. 2 years on I still send H's seller the occasional update as I know she and her daughter often wonder how he is and I think it's a nice thing to do. If they demanded updates or badgered me for them I'd probably less inclined to give them though (although I'm not suggesting that's what OP has or would do!).

Thriller

Visit site
You don't have a right to know how it is. You sold it. If your purchaser wishes to update you then that's lovely. You say you "bothered the poor lady" you sold your horse to. I'd have happily replied a couple of times. If you "bothered" me I'd have stopped responding. In fact I'm going through just this at the moment. How many texts per day is reasonable to check up on an animal you sold? Eight? In my book that's getting a bit excessive.

IMHO one time of reminding buyer that you'll take it back, coupled with writing that on the receipt and in the passport is enough.

I would say it was about once a week for about a month and a bit (usually on a friday night when i was not my normal self lol!)

My main point though, was that someone who sold a horse to a dealer (not knowing they were a dealer) is trying to find their pony again and is getting shot down for it.

Thriller

Visit site
I don't think you have a "right" to know as legally once you've sold the horse you have no claim to it, but I do think you can ask if the new owner is happy to keep in touch and take it from there. 2 years on I still send H's seller the occasional update as I know she and her daughter often wonder how he is and I think it's a nice thing to do. If they demanded updates or badgered me for them I'd probably less inclined to give them though (although I'm not suggesting that's what OP has or would do!).

I have all my horses previous owners on my FB. Its lovely :) None have ever asked or bothered me about things, but then i update about them a lot and usually they like or comment.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I don't think the answers on HHO represent a realistic view of the general horsey population because by and large we're a snarky odd bunch! I wouldn't mind being contacted and if someone bothered me I wouldn't bear them any ill will Id simply ignore them.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I would say it was about once a week for about a month and a bit (usually on a friday night when i was not my normal self lol!)

I wouldn't have a problem with that. I did find eight text messages in one day to be excessive - and it's the reason I haven't added the seller on FB as requested!

However, it's down to the buyer. The seller hands over responsibility for the animal to someone else. If the seller didn't check sufficiently carefully then that's unfortunate.

twiggy2

Visit site
whenever I have bought a horse I text the seller when horse arrives and is safely in stable. also about a week later to say they have settled well, like their new field companions and things are good-that's it.
when I sold my last mare I text the next morning to say 'hope she travelled well, is settled and proves to be everything you wanted. good luck' that's is nothing more.

crabbymare

Visit site
You have every right to care about the horse but not to drive the new owner nuts wanting information. some people sell the horse and then expect to be able to tell the new owner how to look after the horse and want updates all the time and these are the ones who need to let go however much they love the horse and however sad the reason for selling was. others are happy to know the horse is in a good home and has arrived and settled well and get occasional updates which is fine and perfectly normal. if the new owner wants no contact with the seller then the seller does need to be able to step back and respect their wishes

ihatework

Visit site
In my mind anyone who sends their horse to lower end dealers or sales does not have their best interests at heart, and in those circumstances I find it a little hypocritical to suddenly start 'caring' afterwards.

I have no problem with people selling horses genuinely and caring about what happens to them afterwards. It's the method of selling that's the clincher for me.

WelshD

Visit site
If you sell it you have a right to care but you don't have a right to information

Some people (not you OP) do not understand where a loan ends and a sale begins

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I sold mine [a special one], under duress to a forever home , the purchaser [BHS big noise] took him on condition I would not contact him. So, I found him a forever home. If I won the lottery I would buy him back and find his best friends, buy them back, a nice field with shelter and go and kiss them every day, but I can't do that, so I just hope he is happy.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
While I think its nice for a new owner to be willing to update a previous owner on a horse I don't think the previous owner has a "right" to anything. There was a post the other day on facebook from a girl who had sold her mare and was calling the person who had bought it "scum" because they had sold it on and wouldn't disclose the new owners details.

Don't get me wrong I sympathised but at the same time I couldn't help but think that she really didn't have a leg to stand on as she'd sold the horse and the new owner was well within their rights not to tell her anything.

B&J

Visit site
I sold mine unwittingly to a dealer. I have since found her through someone else after she was sold at auction. I have no contact with current owner but a mutual acquaintance has confirmed she is safe; that's all I can ask for really. Yes it would be nice to have regular updates but I don't expect that.

I kept in touch with my current boy's previous owner through, very quaintly via hand written letters

wingedhorse99

Visit site
Of course people who sell have the right to care.

I bought my loan horse because the owner was forced to sell through circumstances in her life outside her control.

He is still of huge sentimental value to the original owner. I respect the fact I bought her much loved horse.

I email her updates, photos, etc. And invite her to come and visit and ride from time to time.

I try and walk the line, between her knowing he is happy and loved, and making the pain worse (I am guided by her).

For me it is nice to have someone else that cares for and understands my horse, and is interested in our progress (more so than my husband is).

As in so many things, if you are are respectful, considerate, and appropriate, there can be much to be gained.

SadKen

Visit site
Sellers don't have rights; I suppose it depends on the contact that the seller wants as to whether I'd indulge them or not. If they wanted to have a say in what I do with the horse, then no - if they just send the odd text hoping the horse is OK, that's fine and I'd be happy to reply. 8 a day is ridiculous. I don't get 8 texts a day from anyone!

In fact, I kept in touch with my girl's previous owners for nearly a year - and if they wanted an update, I'd merrily provide one - I was pleased with this, because it meant they didn't just want to get rid of her. I also stayed in touch with my previous boy's buyer; I don't pester, but I do see how he's getting on occasionally, via her (very public as he's part of UK endurance now!) facebook and twitter.

Pigeon

Visit site
You have a right to CARE, but unfortunately you don't have any more rights than that.

I think in a way it's good to be aware that when you sell a horse, the buyers may not be what they seem, and there is no guarantee the horse will end up in a good situation. It's well worth doing your research beforehand, and making sure your horse has good basics in place so will be desirable, but even then, no guarantees.

We've sold one pony when we outgrew him as kids, and luckily he stayed in the same lovely home since. I honestly don't think I could sell another. My imagination is too vivid and I would always be thinking the worst.

Spit That Out

Visit site
You have a right to care and still love that animal but the new owners don't have to respond to you and if sold via dealers then they don't have to pass on their clients details.

I can see it from both sides...

I'd appreciate if I was trying to trace a horse a quick message from the new owner that the horse is safe and happy but that would be as much as I'd expect.

As the new owner I don't want to know why you had to sell etc etc but as a new owner I'd like a bit of horse history.

I've been lucky that the lady I sold my horse to kept in touch, sent photos, updates of achievements and even offered for me to visit however she had to sell. She offered me first refusal but I was unable to buy him back. I've since lost touch but just hope that he's happy but I don't want to track down the new owners. I'm just happy I gave him a great home, the person I sold him to gave him a great home and I hope she sold him to a great home.

wingedhorse99

Visit site
I sold my first horse about 14 years ago. She wasnt an easy horse, and I was transparent in the sale. I was confident I had found her a good home, but chose not to stay in touch. Over a decade later the owner contacted me (via FB) to say horse had recently been PTS (think was early 20's by then) and that she had been her horse of a life time and adored by her and her family (but always quirky). Nice touch, and I am so pleased she went on to make someone else very happy.

forelegs

Visit site
My pony was sold to a lovely family who send us updates via Christmas card each year - but I have never asked for information. Once it isn't yours any more I'm afraid you don't have any right, which is why the home should be considered so carefully when selling.

My current horse, I email some photos and an update to his old owner every few months. Again, she has never asked, but I do it because it is what I would like, and she always seems delighted to know he is getting on well.

Moomin1

Visit site
The previous owner of my horse only text the day after I bought her to see if she had settled ok, but she didn't actively ask after that. She is a friend on FB though and I regularly post photos of her progress etc and I also do message her of my own accord every so often and let her know how she is etc.

OWLIE185

Visit site
There have been a number of people who thought they were selling their horse pony to a 'lovely person' or 'lovely home' only to discover that in fact they were sold to a dealer or the meet man.
I always strongly advise people to have their horses Freezemarked before selling/loaning them just in case they want to find them at a later date. i.e people have sold horses and allowed them to be taken away before the full payment has been made.

muckypony

Visit site
If you sell, you loose all rights to where the horse it. But I think it depends on the circumstances of the sale.

If for example, you decide one day you don't want the horse, sell it to the first dealer you find and then try to find it a few years later, then I don't think you have any right whatsoever.

But...

If you have made a difficult decision, busted a gut to find the perfect home (personally I would do a LWVTB in case things go t*ts up in the first few weeks), and were genuinely doing what you thought best for the horse, then I think you have every right to ask about the horse, but obviously the new owners don't have to respond.

It really irritates me seeing posts all over Facebook of 'I sold my pony of a lifetime 20 years for a new horse and I really need to know where he is now'. Really?

risky business

Visit site
I sold my mare of 7 years 2 years ago and kept in contact.

The owners offered me down all the time but I only went twice as I wanted to distance myself and felt uncomfortable going to visit all the time.

They have since sold her on, they offered her back to me which declined due to financial reasons and I have no idea where she went. In a way I'd rather not know....

diamonddogs

Visit site
I've got the previous owners of the last two horses I bought (the first horse sadly died, wasn't sold on) on my Facebook and they often comment on pictures and, in the case of the current horse, on her progress.

I think it's nice to be able to let owners know how the horse is getting on, but horrible if you have to tell them that the horse has passed away. :(